How to remove all noise in digital setup?

On 05/03/2021 at 9:29 AM, Jventer said:

I have used several methods for ethernet as in:

• Ethernet over Power
  • Cat 5
  • WiFi

But, nowadays I am just on WiFi - so much easier and less hassles.

@anewmission I agree that your cheapest and easiest possible solutions will be to just use WiFi and or optical connections. If that works you may even be in front as you may be able to sell your ethernet over power connectors  :).

They are just average ones that came with foxtel boxes 15+ years ago

On 02/03/2021 at 1:30 PM, aussievintage said:

Yes, it all boils down to whether you a decent Wifi connection or not - just as I said.   The trouble is, people in a typical domestic situation  in their own house, in the suburbs,  are still being told by people on line, that Wifi is  no good and they must use cables.  I have heard of ethernet over the mains working well, but I suspect it will fail more often in the same situations you mention that have Wifi problems, simply because of the way multi-dwellings are supplied their power.

This is where it gets interesting. If I play a vinyl. There is no static whatsoever. Just a slight low humm from my power amp, which is fine.

The signal path tt-phono stage-pre amp-power amp.

Now if I use my pc, with no ethernet or wifi connected I still get horrible static. So I did some testing, turning off the pc/streamer will remove the static, turning off the dac will also remove the static. Now turning off the pre amp does not remove the static? How does that work?? It's still sending signal through the pre amp when it's off? 

Signal path for the dac/streamer

Diy pc streamer (snakeoil os) - topping d50 dac via usb (tried a few different data cables) I am running the power to the dac from a portable phone charger as it sounds much better than a smps wall charger. - pre amp - power amp

All iec and power plugs are plugged into a rmi and efi filter and ferrite rings around almost every cable.

Now I installed another streaming os onto a thin client pc. Even more static.

I have another dac that is firewire but I do not currently have a firewire card that will fit my low profile chassis so that's Abit hard to test.

Replacing the psu on the pc/streamer didn't make a difference. I have tried 2 or 3 different ones

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

What happens if you run from the headphone output from your PC (assuming you have one) into the preamp? Do you still hear the static?

What file format are you playing?

Has your phone charger to the DAC turned noisy? I can't believe that that particular hack would work well. I'm guessing the cause is related to your DAC, regardless of its power source.

On 26/03/2021 at 1:46 PM, Eggcup the Dafter said:

What happens if you run from the headphone output from your PC (assuming you have one) into the preamp? Do you still hear the static?

What file format are you playing?

Has your phone charger to the DAC turned noisy? I can't believe that that particular hack would work well. I'm guessing the cause is related to your DAC, regardless of its power source.

Time for a new dac then. I just bought a nice slim power amp, might get a nice slim pre with a dac built in