Just playing this HMV release of some trios recorded in 1926 and 1927.    Right at the start of electrical recording, and these are still excellent listening today. 

Amazing.

2021-02-28_08-54-07.jpg.1c9086721c24d8b6ab67aa01134ebeeb.jpg

Don't laugh at the coin.  It serves to enable the correct tracking weight :) 

2021-02-28_08-54-20.jpg.a562421e2475ccb4b6b40834b508bbfa.jpg

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me how in the first decades of electronic recording they were able to get it so right.  Then (in the interests of continual improvement), they got it so-wrong, so-often.  While putting-down the recordings that to it so-right. 

• Like 1

Nice observations.  Probably didn't hurt either that it was a Schubert trio; presume a single microphone and great playing.  Love his string quartets too.  Numbers 8 and 10 are some of the best music ever.

56 minutes ago, Mutatis Mutandis said:

Nice observations.  Probably didn't hurt either that it was a Schubert trio; presume a single microphone and great playing.  Love his string quartets too.  Numbers 8 and 10 are some of the best music ever.

Yes.  Definitely a fairly easy recording situation.  Still, surprising they had microphones that worked that well.  Played on a modern system, there is some of the high end missing, but it sounds very flat, and still goes surprisingly high anyway.

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

It never ceases to amaze me how in the first decades of electronic recording they were able to get it so right.  Then (in the interests of continual improvement), they got it so-wrong, so-often.  While putting-down the recordings that to it so-right. 

I have listened to many "restored" early recordings.  This one was by far the quietest.  The master must have been well stored.

• Like 1