Goodbye NBN - Hello Starlink

• Administrators

Being a Musk fan, I was all over this. But Musk's SpaceX satellite broadband wasn't expected in Australia until at least next year.

It seems it's been brought forward and is now available to pre-order.

I got my order in back in Feb.

https://www.starlink.com/

Starlink costs A$709.00 for the hardware up front, as well as a $100 shipping and handling fee. It will cost you $139 per month for unlimited data, and speeds around 50Mbps to 150Mbps. Early reports indicate speeds of 100Mbps+ and Elon has said it that in time it will increase to as much as 300Mbps and 20ms latency.

The other thing that appeals to me is the dish and equipment are almost portable. Many of our family holidays have very limited internet access so I would consider actually taking this with me for extended stays away. Need that fast 'net access to be able to approve the damn classifieds ads every day when away! :)

I'm expecting mine April/May - but will keep my 100/40 Aussie Broadband plan activated for a couple of months to ensure it's viable going forward with Starlink.

• Like 4
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Musk fan, I was all over this. But Musk's SpaceX satellite broadband wasn't expected in Australia until at least next year. It seems it's been brought forward and is now available to pre-

As a location that got FTTP before Malcolm threw a spanner in the works, I think I will stick with the NBN. My $49.99/month plan with Internode seems a bargain in comparison.   To be fair, I

From the Starlink app FAQ   I give it a fortnight before someone starts selling an audiophile grade version to people on this forum.

I’ve been waiting for this, so watching with interest.....

Seen reports that it’s getting great performances in download tests even in snow, and that the dish has a heater to melt the snow, something they should have considered in there car door handles in those climates.  😂

However it’s the upload that has me worried...  I’ve seen the upload on some current 5G phones,  download is awesome; over 250Mbps + upload barely gets over 1Mbps......  obvious depends on where that antenna is and how good the phone is.   Exciting times.....

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Starlink costs A$709.00 for the hardware up front, as well as a $100 shipping and handling fee. It will cost you $139 per month for unlimited data, and speeds around 50Mbps to 150Mbps. Early reports indicate speeds of 100Mbps+ and Elon has said it that in time it will increase to as much as 300Mbps and 20ms latency.

I am very interested in alternatives to NBN at the moment, so this caught my eye.   However it doesn't seem to be very competitive pricewise at the moment.  Is it the potential 300Mbps that is attractive?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

I am very interested in alternatives to NBN at the moment, so this caught my eye.   However it doesn't seem to be very competitive pricewise at the moment.  Is it the potential 300Mbps that is attractive?

I with respect disagree, it may sound expensive but this has to be seen in perspective.

Some of us cannot get better than satellite - and that is a mess.

Yes, there is 4G mobile plans as well as 5G mobile plans, but some of us cannot get that either. And if you can get it, there are limits e.g re speed and /or downloads

An additional point to note is that I am so happy with Aussie Broadband, but when I was with Telstra it was a disaster. Customer service was non existent. If MusK/Tesla give proper customer service like say Aussie broadband, ur just better that Telstra (the latter should not be hard) this is going to be a winner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I with respect disagree, it may sound expensive but this has to be seen in perspective.

Yes, there is 4G mobile plans as well as 5G mobile plans, but some of us cannot get that either. And if you can get it, there are limits e.g re speed and /or downloads

Definitely, if you cannot get anything else, this would then seem attractive.     Myself, I cannot get 5G, but I can get 4G.  Yes, there are data limits on 4G (on plans I have been able to find).

4 minutes ago, Jventer said:

An additional point to note is that I am so happy with Aussie Broadband, but when I was with Telstra it was a disaster. Customer service was non existent. If MusK/Tesla give proper customer service like say Aussie broadband, ur just better that Telstra (the latter should not be hard) this is going to be a winner.

I am dealing with just such a disaster with iiNet/NBN at the moment, hence my interest in non-NBN means.

• Like 1

Hmm that Starlink looks promising--like most things --will observe how it goes and progresses our environment 

Up here in the Cyclonic induced Nth Qld my current reading is:S

NBN Test.jpg

As a location that got FTTP before Malcolm threw a spanner in the works, I think I will stick with the NBN. My $49.99/month plan with Internode seems a bargain in comparison.

To be fair, I don't run a business and I am still under the impression Netflix is a series of documentaries about tennis and Spotify has something to do with Dalmatians.

Edited by thethrowback
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Jventer said:

glad to see more competition, but this isn’t perfect either....

the plan is to have as many satellites,  but also must have some ground base stations too.   ATM,  it’s 50-150Mbps download and 20Mbps upload..... for those on NBN with FTTC or FTTP, why bother?  The upfront cost is around $800 and a monthly of $139..  with limitations that includes depending on times; zero connections and read the fine print, must be a clear day!    That said there’s reports from beta users that they are getting exceptional speeds even in  extreme weather....  but we’ll see when some Australians are trialing it out!   Hopefully it will pave the way for greater competition where the nbn  and 4G/5G  etc will have to reconsider their market position(increasing user costs)   

12 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

the plan is to have as many satellites,  but also must have some ground base stations too.   ATM,  it’s 50-150Mbps download and 20Mbps upload..... for those on NBN with FTTC or FTTP, why bother?  The upfront cost is around $800 and a monthly of $139..  with limitations that includes depending on times; zero connections and read the fine print, must be a clear day!    That said there’s reports from beta users that they are getting exceptional speeds even in  extreme weather....  but we’ll see when some Australians are trialing it out!   Hopefully it will pave the way for greater competition where the nbn  and 4G/5G  etc will have to reconsider their market position(increasing user costs)   

Im on HFC and i get constant 95+mbps down and 36+ up at 90 per month.  I can understand if those who want to be early adopters - feel free but value for money Starlink aint there yet.  Maybe in a couple of years when 300+ down is available and its not expensive.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

Im on HFC and i get constant 95+mbps down and 36+ up at 90 per month.  I can understand if those who want to be early adopters - feel free but value for money Starlink aint there yet.  Maybe in a couple of years when 300+ down is available and its not expensive.

If you’re a business, it’s not hard to see where value is.....

I tried to download 300mbytes on 4G in South Melb in a multi-storey building; 60mins to completion, forget it, not at 3:45pm and then I have to load that FW package into the product and that’s just the start !  I go home on a 100/20 plan FTTC and it’s 6mins....

There are times I have to upload 2x. 16GB of data of 2 SD cards, that’s not going to happen on a 4G plan that we are issued....  We save it, and take it home that takes  me 40mins to complete on a 100/20 plan.  
So if you’re a business upload is also important not just download!  and at this time physical nbn  will get you there at better competitive rate.

• Like 1
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

I can understand if those who want to be early adopters

Yeah I probably fall into that category, with the added "potential" of being able to move it around with me semi-locally (how big the "cell" is it is tied to remains to be seen). 

• Like 1

I signed up for this the instant is became available. I’m in regional Victoria and while I can get fixed wireless (I have two FW services at the moment) I’d like more throughout than what FW presently offers.

my neighbours don’t have the benefit of being on a hill like me and are either still on a slow adsl connection or 4g with patchy coverage in preference to the hot mess that skymuster is.

they have all signed up to Starlink.

the real candidates for this service are the regional nbn users who got a ****-sandwich in the nbn lotto.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 27/02/2021 at 8:27 PM, Addicted to music said:

It's way better than those stuck on SkyMuster NBN can ever dream about

• Like 2

I wonder if the introduction of these technologies will bring the re-build of the NBN Network forward. I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

24 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

I wonder if the introduction of these technologies will bring the re-build of the NBN Network forward. I won't hold my breath.

Cheers

IMHO I doubt it

Pollies are only concerned re voting areas, unfortunately  in regional areas not many people living there.

The interest is now at FTTN then FTTC and then FTTH

Regional - do not hold you breath.

This would be a great option for the grey nomads/big lappers and I've always hoped there would be portable satellite internet by the time we are ready to get on the road semi permanently.

We have a 32" telly in our caravan and an Apple TV. When it rains the kids want to watch Netflix all day and I worry about my data limits and signal strength in remote areas.

On 27/02/2021 at 10:00 AM, Marc said:

The other thing that appeals to me is the dish and equipment are almost portable. Many of our family holidays have very limited internet access so I would consider actually taking this with me for extended stays away. Need that fast 'net access to be able to approve the damn classifieds ads every day when away!

Ahh, maybe not... from their FAQ's.

image.png.8e30eb011b16ec1ff31257bdd6485fda.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 075Congo said:

Why would it?

Starlink isn't designed to compete on cost or performance with wired networks like NBN.

NBN satellite, on the other hand,  was always a temporary arrangement to get the stipulated speeds to those people at "cost possible".....  and may not ever gt changed or replace if its not needed (eg. starlink)

The roadmap for wired networks, even ones using long lengths of copper and DSL (like our FTTN .... which isn't realistically going to remain that way, anyways) lead them to speed which are a lot faster than wireless of any sort, let alone starlink.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, Jventer said:

IMHO I doubt it

Pollies are only concerned re voting areas, unfortunately  in regional areas not many people living there.

The interest is now at FTTN then FTTC and then FTTH

Regional - do not hold you breath.

Agree, in terms of raw population, but lots of seats able to turn independent over issues like poor infrastructure

• Administrators
3 hours ago, blybo said:

Ahh, maybe not... from their FAQ's.

image.png.8e30eb011b16ec1ff31257bdd6485fda.png

That's right. That's the 'cell size' I referred to in my earlier post. How big the cell is, is the unknown at the moment.

Maybe you could use the phone app What3Words to tell the satellite where you are or it could track you to a new cell if you move.  The App works on 3 square mts blocks  each with it own three word unique identifier.

John

• Like 1

Don't think I'll need it.

WiFi and Hardwire at my place on 100/40 connection. FTTC. With 4 people on seperate computers, three gaming.😉

GO

RESULTS

SETTINGS

03/02/2021 4:17 PM

PING ms

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

GO

RESULTS

SETTINGS

PING ms

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

Edited by Wimbo

Maybe a good option for those who need it.

On FTTP here 100/40. They have upgraded my speed to Double - 200Mbs for 6 months. After which presumably there will be a new higher speed option above the 100/40.  Confirmed it works as I am getting around double the download speed now. So 200Mbs is already here. 300 will no doubt follow as competitors enter the market.

re Uploads - the ISP's don't like people running their connections as servers so this is always below quoted. e.g. I think my Uploads max out at 2MBs...

Business plans already have access to faster speeds. 

It's good to have more competition.

Faster up/down speeds could be more affordable

Good luck with starlink !

Cheers

Have been very intrigued by this offering and had been following, but for now I am happy with my connection, so will wait and see how the starlink and new 5G mobile broadband performs. 

19 hours ago, lemarquis said:

re Uploads - the ISP's don't like people running their connections as servers so this is always below quoted. e.g. I think my Uploads max out at 2MBs...

It should work at 5MBps (40mbps) .... even without a "business plan" .... talk to your ISP.

3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

It should work at 5MBps (40mbps) .... even without a "business plan" .... talk to your ISP.

It should. On speed tests it does but real world conditions are different. DL speeds are fine.

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

but real world conditions

....depend as much on the other end of the network as it does on you and your ISP ;) 

8 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

....depend as much on the other end of the network as it does on you and your ISP ;) 

Yep. That should have been my first reply 😉

The launch was successful. In a leap forward from SN09 and SN08 the landing was successful. (Objectives for success of the earlier units was mid-air turnaround and engine resumption). Starlink promise that considerable improvement in data speed is coming. From time to time I too have made posts to comic effect, however taking your post straight is a great way to ask what's not to like about organisations that learn so swiftly, and make step change? As compared to the Abbott/ Murdoch/ Turnbull crippled NBN which has caused great frustration when we needed it during the COVID emergency.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

The launch was successful. In a leap forward from SN09 and SN08 the landing was successful. (Objectives for success of the earlier units was mid-air turnaround and engine resumption). Starlink promise that considerable improvement in data speed is coming. From time to time I too have made posts to comic effect, however taking your post straight is a great way to ask what's not to like about organisations that learn so swiftly, and make step change? As compared to the Abbott/ Murdoch/ Turnbull crippled NBN which has caused great frustration when we needed it during the COVID emergency.

Exactly. It was all about data gathering and in this mission from that perspective it was a complete success. This is why they do tests. 

No doubt they also got valuable data about their fire suppression systems as an added bonus!

• Like 1

Currently on 1000/50mbps unlimited plan with Aussie as we've fibre to the premises.... Was nice and fast when I first switched to it though seems to now be significantly slower in the evenings when I check the connection speed. Nothing which is noticeable in actual use though. It seems whenever I check I'm only connected a 120-140mbps these days  :(

Running 802.11ax through out the house with 2x Xiaomi ALoT AX3600 and 1x AX1800 mesh routers. I really only have the AX1800 for my HTPC (with Roon) to plug directly into. Roon just works better that way.

Edited by MattyW
13 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I've got FTTH so it doesn't compete/compute.

Even for people on copper connections..... things like starlink are not going to be long term competitors.

Current trials show that over short-ish (say 100m) copper lines, that speed like 1 Tbps are not fanciful.

1 Tbps = 1,000 Gbps = 1,000,000 Mbps ..... ie. ten thousand times faster than the current fastest speeds on FTTN (and most of FTTC).

1 minute ago, davewantsmoore said:

Current trials show that over short-ish (say 100m) copper lines, that speed like 1 Tbps are not fanciful.

Just wait till you have to filter out the rf leakage from that from the unshielded copper wires into your hifi :)  

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Currently on 1000/50mbps unlimited plan with Aussie.... Was nice and fast when I first switched to it though seems to now be significantly slower in the evenings when I check the connection speed. Nothing which is noticeable in actually use though. It seems whenever I check I'm only connected a 120-140mbps these days.

Check that the speedtest site is actually connected to an ABB speed test server.

Don't use wireless to test it  ;)

I'd be very surprised if it is Aussie.....  you can check on their network graphs for your suburb/area to confirm it isn't their bottleneck.    The NBN network stats are also public, so you can be sure the NBN component of the network isn't congested (and if it were, Aussie would (should) have sent you an "outage" notice).

9 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Just wait till you have to filter out the rf leakage from that from the unshielded copper wires into your hifi :)  

The power is too low and frequency too high....   other things in your house would be orders of magnitude more concern  ;)

4 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

The launch was successful.

You are quite correct as the launch was successful, however the landing still requires a bit of finessing.