Dolby Atmos Music Discussion Thread

• Administrator

Not sure where to post this so I'll copy it to both AV and Music forums.

Last night I had the first mind blown musical experience in over a decade I would say. For a while, one of our UK reviewers Patrick Cleasby (see his recent interview with Steven Wilson on this topic here), has been banging on about Atmos music. Well, I can say he was absolutely right.

Playing Yello's Point album (info on the mixing here), through the AV system rather than the 2ch config of my dual purpose system was absolutely sensational. Hearing a recording that was from the outset, designed to take advantage of all speakers, and in particular the overheads was, dare I say the overused buzzword, 'immersive'

It was so much so, it was 11PM and I asked my wife to come and have a demo. She appreciates this hobby, is a casual music lover, and knows good sound, but she was just as impressed as I was and she's not easily impressed!

My advice if you have Atmos, you need to experience this for yourself. I never thought music had a place in any more than 2 channels, and never quite got the surround and multi-channel 'music' concept until now. 

Titles are tough to find right now especially locally. I could only find it on Amazon US priced at nearly $100! 

https://www.amazon.com/Point-Dolby-Atmos-Yello/dp/B08NVGHFD1

Beatles' Abbey Road in Atmos is also another good one and the best version of anything Beatles I have heard to date (2-ch or surround).

• Like 8

Hey @Marc I’ve been experimenting with atmos music too.

I’ve found an accessible method for me is via tidal on my Sony TV sending Dolby atmos tracks to my AVR via eARC.

Requirements for atmos via tidal are a

1) tidal hifi account,

2) a suitable playback source that can output atmos (eg android devices such as certain Sony TVs, Apple TV 4K, fire TV cube, fire stick ),

3) eARC handy too (required if using Sony TV as source)

as for the music - yes definitely a different experience!!!

When comparing all streaming and listening formats I think the critical part is the mixing and production of the track. That alone can make more difference, all other factors taken into account.

With that in mind I can see Dolby atmos music has real potential if the track is mixed to take in the full potential of atmos. For example the imaging should be able to be controlled so much more precisely - vocals not just project centrally - but actually come from a centre speaker. So the front soundstage and separation of instruments could potentially be widened and cleaned up. A good example is Norah Jones - “Come away with me” atmos vs stereo - the vocals are just so focussed and central on the atmos. However this also highlights how mastering can affect everything as the song sounds completely different as they have cleared up the percussion (that back ground brushes on cymbals is prominent on 2ch and almost absent on atmos)

As for music moving around you from above and front and back - I guess that is going to be a more personal taste - but it’s something that could be used to good effect and does give a cinema feel to it(eg John Williams last Jedi Atmos album)

The Weekend “can’t feel my face” atmos mix really sounds quite incredible with vocals coming from all around and it doesn’t sound too gimicky but rather feels like a nice effect that enhances the experience.  The rest of the weekend atmos playlist exhibits a truly enveloping soundstage that can’t be replicated on 2ch.

So I think the potential of atmos music is there - it’s up to the quality of the music released on it to take advantage of this.

would love to hear other people’s thoughts on atmos music!!

• Like 3

On 26/02/2021 at 9:00 AM, Marc said:

My advice if you have Atmos, you need to experience this for yourself. I never thought music had a place in any more than 2 channels, and never quite got the surround and multi-channel 'music' concept until now. 

Welcome...

For too long, multi channel music has been treated as a poor, distant cousin on the forum that no one wanted to know.  

On 26/02/2021 at 9:11 AM, Kaynin said:

It needs it's own sub-forum...  ?

+1

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Imaging any good?

Superb, rock solid. Mileage varies across available releases so far, but as I mentioned earlier, those albums that have been written and mastered from the outset for Atmos are spectacular. Post release upmixes, not so much. I guess its very early days but the future looks bright immersive!

• Like 1

I think years of rubbish 5.1 DVDs put most of us off.  

I have been entertained recently by the various remix / remaster efforts that Steve Wilson has done on the XTC and Dukes Of Stratosphere discography though. The BluRay discs have a surround version that was made from the stems of the mixing tapes up and tastefully given some movement by Steve.  Oranges & Lemons is particularly great sounding.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I think you are right - this is exactly the reason. Even some of the more recent post-release upmixes (Inxs, for example), are just meh.

But Yello, next level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I presume you're referring to DVD as opposed to DVD-Audio.

So when was music ever released on DVD exclusively?

Yeah I just heard about it ( Dolby Atmos Music)recently. But haven't found 1 yet, but my Samsung Phone it's has a Dolby Atmos mode, I'm wondering what does it do....

Screenshot_20210303-170932_One UI Home.jpg

Edited by Zodiac-12

• Administrator

I don't recommend Atmos on phones/headphones for a true Atmos music experience - but if you're open minded then nothing to lose. TIDAL has some Atmos music I believe.

Stuffed if I know how to get atmos music on tidal to output in atmos format! I've got the app on my apple tv 4k, which is connected to my avr via hdmi, and avr out to tv via hdmi, but it says the output is PCM 2.0. Bloody technology grrr.

I'm thinking the tv may be the spanner in the works, but it could be my avr, which has caused frustration at times.

I'm going to try my usual tidal app on ipad/avr.. a more direct route.

9 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Stuffed if I know how to get atmos music on tidal to output in atmos format! I've got the app on my apple tv 4k, which is connected to my avr via hdmi, and avr out to tv via hdmi, but it says the output is PCM 2.0. Bloody technology grrr.

Have you got a tidal Hifi account? Need this to stream atmos.

also I have read updating the Apple TV, delete tidal app then reinstall sometimes works.

HDMI cables can sometimes make a difference too.

finally it could be the handshake between AVR and Apple TV.

I’m streaming via tidal app on a compatible Sony tv using eARC to AVR. Took a few days and lots of frustration before finding the right combination of settings to make it work - good luck!!

33 minutes ago, kev88 said:

Have you got a tidal Hifi account? Need this to stream atmos.

also I have read updating the Apple TV, delete tidal app then reinstall sometimes works.

HDMI cables can sometimes make a difference too.

finally it could be the handshake between AVR and Apple TV.

I’m streaming via tidal app on a compatible Sony tv using eARC to AVR. Took a few days and lots of frustration before finding the right combination of settings to make it work - good luck!!

Yeah I have Tidal Hifi. Just about to google the issue to see if it's to do with the ATV4K. I tried playing over airplay, but Atmos doesn't show on AVR so it's still in DD mode and when I press info on Onkyo RZ-730, it only shows on lcd, not on TV as it's not video, and doesn't tell you the incoming info. When using Tidal app on ATV4K, and playing one of the Dolby atmos tracks, info says input pcm 2.0, output 7.1.2, so it's upmixing, which is no good. My fronts are sent from avr pre outs, but that shouldn't affect it. According to the info the ATV is sending PCM. I've checked all settings, particularly audio and it should work. It means either it's the hdmi cable, or tvOS and/or app meeds updating.

Don't get me started on hdmi cables! I'm bloody sick of trying to get all my gear working harmoniously. LOL

Edit: It works! Updating tvOS did the trick. It's set to update automatically, but hadn't downloaded the latest version. Ah well at least something worked for a change.

Listening to Prince - When Doves Cry (atmos mix). Not amazing, but I'm sat in a terrible spot for it.  

Edited by Esoterica

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Joe Lighty said:

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the INXS Atmos disc? I've got it, but waiting for the house to be built to try it out!!

It's OK. Only feels like an upmixed stereo recording though, nothing special.

I also went through most of the Atmos music on TIDAL last night and had similar thoughts.

So far the two standouts are Yello Point, and Steven Wilson Future Bites. It's very obvious these two were written to take advantage of all channels from the start. Not a post-mix.

Guest niterida
2 hours ago, Marc said:

I also went through most of the Atmos music on TIDAL last night and had similar thoughts.

So far the two standouts are Yello Point, and Steven Wilson Future Bites. It's very obvious these two were written to take advantage of all channels from the start. Not a post-mix.

Good mixes ?

Crap music ?

I actually bought Booka Shades Dear Future Self but after listening on Tidal it will remain unopened for the same reason as above ?

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Unfortunately, a lot of Tidal's multi channel music (MCH) are poor and not good introduction. :hmm: 

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Steve Wilson is the guru for post mixes and he has many good ones in the QQ poll.  I have using that poll to guide my buying.  Yes, there are many releases in the poll out of print, but  there are now more new releases than a few years ago, Unfortunately, many people are not aware of the poll, buy all and sundry MCH and get turned off. 

Suggest getting Santana Santana & Abraxas, any Pink Floyd MCH album and any Steve Wilson mixes, including Yes, Rush.  An old favourite is Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary, excellent MCH but stereo not as good as MFSL version. 

Have you tried the 2L test bench?  My favourite 2L album is Arnesen: Magnificat.  Was originally released with Auro 3D but was told that there is an Atmos version on Native DSD (but suggest you verify before buying).  Also 2L sampler and Grammy nominated albums.  Note that 2L classical music is not for the traditionalist and they were recorded as MCH with instruments all round.

Added ***

Grammy award immersive nominations and winners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Immersive_Audio_Album

Roger Waters : The Wall BD has Atmos

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **
  • Like 1

I have to wonder if people have ever really put the effort into multichannel representations of albums.

It’s so often I’ll be watching a movie on my HT setup and a multichannel version of a song you know (or maybe something in the soundtrack) grabs you by the ears and you think, “that sounds nice”.

it is exceedingly rare that I’ve ever had that effect from multichannel media that I’ve bought. It has to be with them remixing and remastering the audio from the original stems and laying it out for multichannel.

not being afraid to use all three front channels judiciously I think is the most important first step.

I think too much multichannel audio still has one foot in 2 channel land and just doesn’t want to let go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I have to wonder if people have ever really put the effort into multichannel representations of albums.

I think too much multichannel audio still has one foot in 2 channel land and just doesn’t want to let go.

Agreed, hence, get music listed in the QQ poll.  Mixing to multi channels is not easy. It took 10 days to mix Queen's: Bohemian Rhapsody in 5.1.  Talk of the ideal song for multi channel !

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/queen-night-opera

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

Agreed, hence, get music listed in the QQ poll.  Mixing to multi channels is not easy. It took 10 days to mix Queen's: Bohemian Rhapsody in 5.1.  Talk of the ideal song for multi channel !

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/queen-night-opera

I had a look at that poll. It was good to see all the XTC stuff I had in there.

I need to check out the new Tears For Fears (for Woman In Chains), but to be honest, much of the stuff on there is "old man" music that never did it for me first time around.

While I can appreciate the Pink Floyd's, Genesis etc, I've always preferred far edgier music. However, I think it's unlikely we'll get an Atmos remix of McLusky Do Dallas, Loveless (that would be epic) or Spiderland any time soon ;)  

• Like 1