DIY Sub Demo in Brisbane - VBSS / Marty /Ultimax etc

BenBenBen

Hi All, 

I'm planning on making two subwoofers for a 60 / 40 HT / music mix. I'm trying to decide if I want to build 2x VBSS style down firing end tables, or a mini Marty and a dual opposed sealed box with 2x 18" PA woofers (or something else you suggest). 

I only have a 12" sealed sub at the moment, so it's hard to judge if the VBSS will be sufficient for my bass needs, or I'd want the mini Marty as well for the ultra low frequency. 

Does anyone in Brisbane or surrounding areas have a VBSS, Marty or similar large subs who's willing to demo (for beer or wine)? 

Many thank

Ben

Further info:

Room 5.7w x 4.5d x 2.4h sealed. 

Mains Monitor Audio Silver 6

MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac Live. 

I already have a Behringer NX6000d and 2x Faital Pro 1200w rms Pa 18" drivers

• 1 year later...

Hi SS, 

It's a work in progress - mainly trying to work out if I prefer ported or sealed, lots of midgbass/ ULF / tactile response, and where are good sub positions in the room that get WAF. I don't want to build a nice piece of furniture sub that only fits in one position and that position turns out to have a rubbish room response. 

I've built a sealed box and the Um-18 ultimax I bought came with a small ported box (by small I mean 60 x 70 x 70 cm) that I'm experimenting with. 

I've learnt that a very near field ultimax parked right behind the sofa is AWESOME, even at relatively low power. Doesn't wake the kids or the neighbours, but unfortunately wife got a bit of motion sickness watching movies, so that location is out. 

As for your planned Marty Cube, it's a similar volume box to what my ultimax is in, and the two 10cm ports can't keep up with that driver, and make chuffing noise even at moderate power. I'm sure the marty cube has a decent sized slot port so you'll be OK there. 

Sorry I can't offer much more - looking forward to seeing how your CNC build goes! 

• Like 1

I'm in Brisbane (Coorparoo) and have a DIY Redspade T20 dual opposed tapped horn sub with 2 x 12" Rythmik drivers driven by 2 x Rythmik 375W amps (box is 2400mm x 600mm x 300mm).

I'm not keen to take my T20 sub further than my back yard, but if you wanted to bring other subs over and bring friends to carry my T20 from my room to the backyard, and back again!...I'm fine to run a sub shootout in my backyard....

...I have a measurement rig and REW to do ground plane (2 Pi) measurements to compare the subs.

cheers,

Mike

• Love 1

22 hours ago, almikel said:

I'm in Brisbane (Coorparoo) and have a DIY Redspade T20 dual opposed tapped horn sub with 2 x 12" Rythmik drivers driven by 2 x Rythmik 375W amps (box is 2400mm x 600mm x 300mm).

I'm not keen to take my T20 sub further than my back yard, but if you wanted to bring other subs over and bring friends to carry my T20 from my room to the backyard, and back again!...I'm fine to run a sub shootout in my backyard....

...I have a measurement rig and REW to do ground plane (2 Pi) measurements to compare the subs.

cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike, 

Thank you for the offer - I've read that a dual opposed T20 is brutal, so that'd be awesome to hear that horn loaded sub in the wild! 

I could bring an 18" sealed sub (the 18" ported I inherited is double or triple wall and sand filled so it's not going anywhere).

On 23/03/2022 at 9:48 PM, BenBenBen said:

Hey Mike, 

Thank you for the offer - I've read that a dual opposed T20 is brutal, so that'd be awesome to hear that horn loaded sub in the wild! 

I could bring an 18" sealed sub (the 18" ported I inherited is double or triple wall and sand filled so it's not going anywhere).

Hi Ben,

as discussed via PM I'll get some stuff sorted at my end then get you over for a listen.

On 23/03/2022 at 9:48 PM, BenBenBen said:

I've read that a dual opposed T20 is brutal

Brutal is not an adjective I would use for the T20 - more along the lines of "subtle but significant weight/depth is added to everything as low and as loud as you want" :)

Other than taking up a bunch or room real estate, (my wife sometimes reminds me it was meant to be mounted outside the room), you don't notice the T20 is working...until you turn it off and the bottom octave goes missing :(

With the T20 turned on, the eyes/ears/brain just assume all the low bass is coming from the main speakers.

Often I've put a finger on one of the T20 drivers just to check it's turned on :).

cheers

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, BenBenBen said:

the two 10cm ports can't keep up with that driver, and make chuffing noise even at moderate power. I'm sure the marty cube has a decent sized slot port so you'll be OK there. 

Hi @BenBenBen, I’ve done a scale model of the Martycube and the full size slot port area works out to about 73% greater than two 10cm ports - it’s a popular design, so hopefully it works out.

Have you made any further progress with your subwoofer?

Cheers,

SS

Edited by Sub Sonic