Yamaha PC2002M Legendary or am I just a just a noob? I mean I can hear alright.

Replying as an update. I have been using them with a tube pre and honestly I do like the soundstage expansion the pre provides to the rather technical sounding 1000ms. But then it does add its downsides too. Check any ASR review on any tube preamp like the Freya+ etc. and you will see what I mean. I did a bit of digging and I noticed that Yamaha used to sell its home counter part the M2 with the C2A pre. I might move to all SS of this era afterall.

There always the option of full balanced using the new CHIFI stuff like Topping and Gustard pres. but honestly, the amount of them being sold in second hand market and the fact that they occasionally have some issues in most posts e.g. Topping new A90D with its glitches, Gustard P26 not turning on after just a few months in, I am beginning to see the beauty of engineering that went into these Japanese Yamahas in that golden era of 2 channel hifi. Like 30 years plus they are still going with minor recaps here and there IF needed. Otherwise still going strong. As a collector, that has some value. 

Verdict still not out on how the Chifi clones perform 30 years from now, as collectables.