"Bower & Wilkins A5 - BLOWN DRIVER"

Item: Bower & Wilkins A5 - BLOWN DRIVER
Price Range: Free
Item Condition: Used
Extra Info: I bought this recently from cash converters without a power supply.

I bought a power supply off eBay for $20. 

Unfortunately crackling/static type sound indicates a blown driver.

I've just tried to get a refund from Cash Converters who said it was sold to me without any warranty.

NOW they tell me! Wish they told me BEFORE I bought it (I wouldn't have taken the risk otherwise).

I was under the assumption the stuff they sell has a 90 day warranty.

I'd rather see if someone here is interested in it for repairs or parts before I bin it.

I'm happy to ship at cost (+ AC adapter $20 if needed).

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

20210219_111001.jpg

20210219_110951.jpg

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Thanks Neo.

I know they're at fault as they at no time declared that my purchase was not covered by warranty regardless of how insistent the lady was on the phone today that it was not covered by warranty. I've just been beaten down a bit of late and have lost some fight in me.

There is no need to fight, their policy is clearly stated that you are within your rights to return the item within 90 day, if it’s faulty. 
Take the unit back and get a refund and also ask them to reacquaint themselves with their business website where their operating policies/conditions are listed

Neo 

Edited by Neo
  • Thanks 1

If they get fractious then it might be helpful to tell them you will be contacting the Office of Fair Trading (assuming you bought it in Qld), because they are reneging on their advertised warranty. That is a breach of Australian Consumer Law.

Regardless of their written warranty, under the ACL consumer guarantees automatically apply to:

• goods or services which cost under $40,000

The consumer guarantees apply to second-hand goods in the same way as new goods, as long as the goods fit within the above description and as long as they are not private sales between individuals.

Stay calm and collected and assert your rights. Good luck.

Edited by thethrowback
40 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

If they get fractious then it might be helpful to tell them you will be contacting the Office of Fair Trading (assuming you bought it in Qld), because they are reneging on their advertised warranty. That is a breach of Australian Consumer Law.

Regardless of their written warranty, under the ACL consumer guarantees automatically apply to:

• goods or services which cost under $40,000

The consumer guarantees apply to second-hand goods in the same way as new goods, as long as the goods fit within the above description and as long as they are not private sales between individuals.

Stay calm and collected and assert your rights. Good luck.

Thanks Tim.

I appreciate the support from members here.

I'm feeling a little bit more encouraged to take the matter further.

• Like 2

I thought about your situation a bit more and if you find face-to-face contact stressful, then the alternative is to write a letter to the manager of the store.

The store has the right to either repair the fault, or replace it with a similar item in good working order (make sure you test the replacement in the store), or give you a full refund.

Here's a template for a complaint letter along with instructions: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/write-a-complaint-letter

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do go to the store in person, take a printout of the Warranty page from their website. 

Let them know you will take it to Fair Trading if they are difficult.  Also suggest that you will take it to A Current Affair!

Good news! 

After writing a "complaint" email to Cash Converters HQ, the store where I bought the speaker from called me and offered a refund in full.

She said it was a "good faith" offer. 

I'm happy with the outcome.

The main lesson here for me is to check whether something is covered by warranty or not before committing to buy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm picking up some Technics 3 ways next week from Cash Converters at Parramatta.

I bought them on line...  and there was mention of the 90 day warranty.

I'm hoping they are able to set them up for a quick check while I'm there...  as it's a 6 hour drive for me.

I'm also doing a lot of other things in Sydney...  and, this pick up is one of them.

I'll also be taking my multimeter.

Fingers crossed.

Ant.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, craig10 said:

She said it was a "good faith" offer. 

That is a great outcome and I'm glad to hear it. However, there is no "good faith" about it. The company offers a 90 day warranty which they failed to honour and your purchase is covered by ACL consumer guarantees.

Edited by thethrowback
  • Like 1