Jump to content

Blu-ray with optical cable out, or dedicated CD player?


Recommended Posts

I'm a newbie, so patience if necessary, please ...

 

I have old speakers, turntable and cassette deck I'm happy with, and have just purchased a Marantz PM-6007 stereo amplifier, which has the AKM AK4490 DAC. I will probably buy a dedicated CD player eventually. My question is, purely from an audio perspective, do I gain a lot by buying (say) a matching Marantz CD player, or will I get similar results by playing CDs on my Blu-ray (Panasonic DMP-BD65) with an optical cable out? (I say "purely from an audio perspective" because I want to be able to program CD playback to exclude tracks or vary the sequence. The 600x Marantz players also have a useful USB input. ) Anything else I should consider?

 

Edited by sr4d
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking to get to the bottom of myself a few months ago, I have a Yamaha unit similar to that Panasonic

from my readings, I concluded that, assuming no significant problems with jitter etc., the source of digital 1s and 0s into a half decent DAC (i.e. one you are otherwise happy with) will have minimal impact until you start getting towards the higher end of mid-fi

my amp has pretty slick D2A trickery so I passed on a new CDP

But I've no personal experience and was more curios if a 2nd hand device at say $200-300 would yield a noticeable improvement

 

my other takeaways: 

- its a CD "transport" when just the digital is passed, i.e. no analogue conversion occurring ( i didn't kno OK 😕 ) 

- let your ears decide if you can. is a trail an option? also the CDP may do both digital and analogue out for a comparison

- in earlier generations the CDP generally did a better D2A than that in an integrated amp, but that is changing now with more emphasis on digital performance (both separates or in an amp), not to say there's no examples of older CDPs still holding there own against the new

- rather than a CDP you could consider ripping your CDs to a drive (as lossless files) and feeding that into a dedicated DAC equipped unit with software that lets you do your track exclusions but also create playlists pulled from your whole collection (careful this could be a gateway in solutions like Roon) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, wasabijim. I just went and bought an optical cable, hooked the Blu-ray to the amp and sampled a few CDs. Sounds significantly better than analogue out of the Blu-ray. Ripping the CDs isn't an option - I have way too many.. I'm very happy with the sound out of the Blu-ray for now, and will think about the CDP choices for a while. The problem is you pay a lot extra for convenience and features, e.g., the Marantz CD5005 is about $580 now. The 6006 is about $1000, but you get a USB input which supports lossy file formats + iPad/iPhone. The 6007 is $1290 and  supports FLAC etc as well as lossy files. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sr4d said:

I just went and bought an optical cable, hooked the Blu-ray to the amp and sampled a few CDs. Sounds significantly better than analogue out of the Blu-ray. 

That is to be expected that an external DAC will be better than analogue out of a BD player. While I do not use CDs (all have been ripped), the quality of the CD transport does have an influence; it is not 1s and 0s. 

 

I am guessing here but I think a decent dedicated CD player will be better again, but you will have try for yourself. Note that the quality of cables also matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites


On 24/02/2021 at 3:37 PM, sr4d said:

Thanks, wasabijim. I just went and bought an optical cable, hooked the Blu-ray to the amp and sampled a few CDs. Sounds significantly better than analogue out of the Blu-ray. Ripping the CDs isn't an option - I have way too many.. I'm very happy with the sound out of the Blu-ray for now, and will think about the CDP choices for a while. The problem is you pay a lot extra for convenience and features, e.g., the Marantz CD5005 is about $580 now. The 6006 is about $1000, but you get a USB input which supports lossy file formats + iPad/iPhone. The 6007 is $1290 and  supports FLAC etc as well as lossy files. 

 

Sounds like a good outcome

 

On 24/02/2021 at 5:48 PM, Snoopy8 said:

the quality of the CD transport does have an influence; it is not 1s and 0s. 

 

 

Not disagreeing that quality is a factor, but technically it is just 1s and 0s...  No, see where you're coming from - reading errors, how they are handled, maintaining correct clock timings,  etc. etc. but it does remind me of another point of discussion and that's claims some people make concerning generally poor performance attributes in the digital domain that manifests in the analogue domain. another can of worms.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...