Jump to content

Crackling sound via HT Bypass


Recommended Posts

Hello everybody!

 

I just got my Musical Fidelity M5SI and hooked it up to my Denon  AVR-X4500H.

 

The sound via the HT bypass input sounds terrible! Its crackling and fading in and out.

 

If I connect something directly to the MF M5SI there is no problem.

 

It only occurs when playing something from the Denon into the MF, with the switch set to HT.

 

I have tried a couple of different RCA cables, but no luck. The crackling occurs in both channels, but mostly in the right.

 

Could there be a fault in the MF, or the Denon?

 

Best Regards

 

/Niklas

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I have exactly the same issue with brand new M5si. I swapped interconnects, speaker cables, speakers around etc. When playing a left and right channel test tune via YouTube through Yamaha RX-A2A there is crackling in both but mainly the right channel and also it drops out altogether sometimes. I know it is the M5si as when I removed it, the speakers plugged into just AVR same test tune was perfect. Plugged M5si back into the chain and same problems. Also hissing from speakers evident.

Edited by Johnny1972
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny1972 said:

Hi. I have exactly the same issue with brand new M5si. I swapped interconnects, speaker cables, speakers around etc. When playing a left and right channel test tune via YouTube through Yamaha RX-A2A there is crackling in both but mainly the right channel and also it drops out altogether sometimes. I know it is the M5si as when I removed it, the speakers plugged into just AVR same test tune was perfect. Plugged M5si back into the chain and same problems. Also hissing from speakers evident.

And what did you do about it?

 

Im just running it through one of the other analog inputs now, with the volume turned up.

 

But to be honest......I don’t  hear any difference in sound quality, other than its a little bit brighter than my Denon AVR.

 

There were several people telling me that there would be a HUGE improvement, playing music with a dedicated stereo amplifier, compared to a home theater receiver, but there is none.

 

So it feels like I wasted $2000 and got nothing, other than the hardware itself to look at....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Neewbiee said:

But to be honest......I don’t  hear any difference in sound quality, other than its a little bit brighter than my Denon AVR.

 

There were several people telling me that there would be a HUGE improvement, playing music with a dedicated stereo amplifier, compared to a home theater receiver, but there is none.

 

So it feels like I wasted $2000 and got nothing, other than the hardware itself to look at....

Are you connecting the stereo setup like this?

image.png.0232d3469a222c2e2f9784af1feff8a5.png

 

If your sources are only on the AVR, then, all you are hearing is the difference in amplication.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

Yes I have it connected like that. I also tried connecting my sources directly to the MF, and it sound good, but it sound as god with the Denon. Only thing I notice is that the MF is a bit brighter......which for me is not a good thing......it only hurts my ears when its too bright.

 

EDIT;

 

I actually don’t have it set up like that anymore. I tried it in the beginning, but it  doesn’t sound as good as using the AVR as a preamp that has audyssey room correction, and also the ability to change the bass and treble. I can also add and remove my subwoofers.

 

Running my 2 channel sources directly into the MF leaves me with no choices at all. But I can also choose that on my AVR with direct pure mode.

Edited by Neewbiee
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing I want to say regarding the MF, is that there is this white noise coming from the speakers tweeters. I had read about the MF being completely quiet, but its not! When I have my speakers connected to my Denon, I can turn the volume all the way up without hearing any noise at all. But with the MF I can hear at my listening position already when the volume nob is at 12 o clock..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neewbiee said:

I actually don’t have it set up like that anymore. I tried it in the beginning, but it  doesn’t sound as good as using the AVR as a preamp that has audyssey room correction, and also the ability to change the bass and treble. I can also add and remove my subwoofers.

 

Running my 2 channel sources directly into the MF leaves me with no choices at all. But I can also choose that on my AVR with direct pure mode.

I have used several AVRs (Anthem, NAD, Arcam) and find that the AVRs are OK for casual listening but fall short for serious stereo music listening.  I prefer music on dedicated stereo equipment.

 

However, each of us are looking for different things in music.  Clearly, you are happy to use your AVR for music and will not need to invest money and time to improve a stereo set up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have used several AVRs (Anthem, NAD, Arcam) and find that the AVRs are OK for casual listening but fall short for serious stereo music listening.  I prefer music on dedicated stereo equipment.

 

However, each of us are looking for different things in music.  Clearly, you are happy to use your AVR for music and will not need to invest money and time to improve a stereo set up. 

Well yes, maybe you are right. I have now upgraded my system for around $10.000, and sure, it has improved....but not by much. The biggest difference was the speakers; Focal Aria 936, but in some songs and in my room, they sound very boomy below 60-80hz, and thats another reason why I want to use my AVR as a preamp, so I can cut them off and let the subwoofers take care of those low frequencies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Neewbiee said:

Well yes, maybe you are right. I have now upgraded my system for around $10.000, and sure, it has improved....but not by much. The biggest difference was the speakers; Focal Aria 936, but in some songs and in my room, they sound very boomy below 60-80hz, and thats another reason why I want to use my AVR as a preamp, so I can cut them off and let the subwoofers take care of those low frequencies.

Audyssey is good for movies but there are better room correction software for music: Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction (ARC). But  you can only use what you have and I understand why you want to use your AVR to correct problems in the room and to integrate the subs.   Maybe consider Dirac Live or ARC when you replace your AVR in he future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Are you connecting the stereo setup like this?

image.png.0232d3469a222c2e2f9784af1feff8a5.png

 

If your sources are only on the AVR, then, all you are hearing is the difference in amplication.

That is exactly how I also have mine set up. I purchased the MF to add a Cambridge or Bluesound streamer and CD player to. Currently just running spotify via AVR for now until then.

 

With the M5si via HT bypass, hissing is present that does not go away (at zero volume and above) and crackling in right channel. Sound test tunes shows drop out also in lower ranges i.e. sound completely cuts out. Again, if I remove the MF, the speakers sound perfect straight from AVR.

 

I am currently speaking to my dealer and will provide update when I can. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2021 at 10:02 AM, Johnny1972 said:

That is exactly how I also have mine set up. I purchased the MF to add a Cambridge or Bluesound streamer and CD player to. Currently just running spotify via AVR for now until then.

 

With the M5si via HT bypass, hissing is present that does not go away (at zero volume and above) and crackling in right channel. Sound test tunes shows drop out also in lower ranges i.e. sound completely cuts out. Again, if I remove the MF, the speakers sound perfect straight from AVR.

 

I am currently speaking to my dealer and will provide update when I can. 

Update - repairer looking at now so hopefully more to update shortly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...