FS: Icron USB Ranger 2224 Multi-mode Fiber extender

Item Condition: Excellent
Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Brisbane
State: QLD
Payment Method: Paypal as a friend
Reason for selling: NLR

Further information:

Just to explain what this is. PS Audio had their LAN Rover USB "extender" which essentially packetised the USB input  and sent it via ethernet to an output at the other end. The benefit (apart from being able to send USB over really distances) what there there was galvanic isolation between the source and your DAC. It was widely known at the time that the LAN Rover was out that PS Audio in fact used rebranded version of the Icron USB / Ethernet extender.

This unit has some improvements over the LAN Rover and the older Icron unit because it uses Fibre Optic cable. Apart from being able to send a signal 500 meters and being incredibly easy to get through tight spaces, the big advantage is that there is absolute galvanic isolation as the connecting cable carries only light.

In terms of comparing the sound to the LAN Rover, I can't say as I can only rely on reviews of PS Audio unit but their sound characteristics are broadly similar. I can say that this unit has really good, extended bass and really nice imaging. Having heard most of the USB decrafiers I'd put it right up there at or near the top. Imaging is really nice and timbre is well represented. 

I used the included power pack (which runs on 240V) but needs an Aussie figure 8 power lead.  I also tried it with an IFI Ipower DC power pack (5V) and it did clean things up a bit and lifted low level detail. You only need to connect 5V and sending end, not the receiver by the way.

It's plug and play, about 60 seconds setup, assuming you have a spare USB cable to feed the sender unit. 

I looked really hard to find this unit in complete and good condition AND uses fibre optic- there are lots of people selling these but they only seem to have the LEX (sender) or REX(receiver) or they are in crappy condition or they use Ethernet.

I was going to hang on to this but with my SIngxer unit and the other (mild) filters I have, I'm never going to use it.

Some kinda related reading - http://magentaaudio.com.au/product/ps-audio-lanrover-usb-transporter/ 

https://audiobacon.net/2016/12/01/ps-audio-lanrover-review-vs-microrendu-uptone-ultracap-lps-1/#:~:text=For the price%2C I think,the noisy computer%2Fmusic server.

Photos:

s-l1600.jpg3..

s-l1600.jpg..s-l1600.jpg