Help needed with Technics sl-1500c tonearm

Gooday everone,

so I recently bought a technics sl-1500c from a member on the forum but during the shipping process, the tonearm got stuck under the platter...(yes the heavy direct drive metal platter.) It was a mess everywhere, the lid, tonearm and platter are heavily scratched.

The thing is I don't know if this is just cosmetic issue or there is some kind of mechanic thing going on. The tonearm is supposed to drop slowly on the record but instead I have to turn the lever all the way down or the cartridge won't drop at all.

Every thing else seems working fine. I have a YouTube link showing the problem here, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/5JAG-LzWyng

Thanks. Ian

Do you guys think this is a problem? If it is, is it fixable?

It looks like the cue lift mechanism is damaged.  It should be possible to replace it or if you are feeling adventurous,  you could try to repair this one.  

I think the seller should have packed it a lot better.

Thanks for the advice!? I doubt I've ever felt adventurous in my life. Looks like I'll need to find a good technician.

The seller said he had all the original packaging so I thought it should be fine... Turns out it's basically just the turntable throw in the original box with some air bags and padding...

Did the guy send it in the factory packaging?  The ad says he had it.

The Technics manual is clear,  you need to remove the heavy platter, mat, tonearm weight, lid, headshell and a few other things and repack it back in the factory packaging in the specific parts of the packing. 

Was this how you received it?

Edited by metal beat

The Technics turntable packaging, whether a 1200 from 20 years ago, or a new GAE is bulletproof.

I have moved more times than i can count, with all of my technics tt's going back in their original boxes and shipped with no issue, and no worry/concern on my behalf.

I recently shipped a 1200 from Perth to me in Melbourne. Original packaging, no issue what so ever.

I would be mighty p.sed if i bought a tt (1200, 1500 etc) and was told it would be shipped in original packaging to have it arrive the way you have said. Without the internal foam which holds all the parts together, everything would just slap around and get damaged. That's not on.

As @metal beat says, there is a very simple method to ship, the TT needs to be broken down in to parts and packaged in the provided foam inserts. Very easy, and effective. The break down of the TT takes no more than a minute.

8 hours ago, Dragonfly913 said:

Turns out it's basically just the turntable throw in the original box with some air bags and padding...

That's terrible if that's the case. Very poor form. I'd be sending it back for a refund... don't like your chances though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

The Technics turntable packaging, whether a 1200 from 20 years ago, or a new GAE is bulletproof.

I have moved more times than i can count, with all of my technics tt's going back in their original boxes and shipped with no issue, and no worry/concern on my behalf.

I recently shipped a 1200 from Perth to me in Melbourne. Original packaging, no issue what so ever.

I would be mighty p.sed if i bought a tt (1200, 1500 etc) and was told it would be shipped in original packaging to have it arrive the way you have said. Without the internal foam which holds all the parts together, everything would just slap around and get damaged. That's not on.

As @metal beat says, there is a very simple method to ship, the TT needs to be broken down in to parts and packaged in the provided foam inserts. Very easy, and effective. The break down of the TT takes no more than a minute.

That's terrible if that's the case. Very poor form. I'd be sending it back for a refund... don't like your chances though.

Yep.     the buyer unfortunately needs to send it back to Qld for a refund if not dismantled and packed correctly as freight insurance even if taken out will not be paid for inadequate packing..   

I am sure the seller is reading this as it was only in the SNA classified two weeks ago and hopefully he will do the right thing.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

@metal beatbeat

Thanks a lot. The stuff in the picture is really all there is in the box and the table wasn't assembled (edit: it was assembled, guess I'm too frustrated to type) so I guess it is definitely not all of the original packaging as the seller claimed. I'm trying to negotiate with the seller to cover the repairing cost right now since I really don't care about the cosmetic issues. 

DSC_0111.JPG

There was only one piece of foam in there, so.... guaranted disaster....

Edited by Dragonfly913
  • Like 1

@Dragonfly913 What you want, and what you get may be two different things, but i'd be after a full refund and sending it back. Forget about trying to repair. 

The TT should never have been sent as it was, still assembled. This may have caused damage to many of the internals, not just the tonearm.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a travesty for a turntable of this quality to be packed so poorly. If the original box has none of the original packaging, then it’s as good as any other box and all comes down to the seller learning how to pack a turntable and taking due care. Lesson 1 is never to ship with the platter in place. Even if it doesn’t come off and damage some other part (like a tonearm) it will almost certainly move during shipping and damage the critical bearing.

I agree with others, seller should offer a full refund. When you send it back, pack it properly dismantled with parts individually wrapped for no other reason than to show the seller how a fragile turntable should be packed.

Edited by Doppelganger
  • Like 1

Update: The seller now refused to even cover the repairing and blamed my non-audiophile friend who picked the turntable up for not knowing better while he packed. He also said that he advised my friend it is not wise to ship it assembled which contradicts my friend's memory BY A LOT. According to my friend, he even said things like "it's secure now", "All good to go" and then wrapped two layer of tape around it. Even if it is true, I still didn't get all the original packaging as promised. 

Can anyone please recommend a good technician in Sydney? Looks like I can't count on the seller's good will to get this done.

HI Dragonfly

I would perhaps take the table into Len Wallis as they sell the technics tables including the sl-1500c and they can have a look at it and advise the best course of action.    make sure you remove the platter, counterweight and headshell before transporting.

you also should report this guy to the mods  @Marc and leave negative feedback so it can be a warning for any future transactions.

Can I name and shame this guy?   

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, metal beat said:

Can I name and shame this guy?   

No @metal beat - and you know that!!!

And @Dragonfly913 I was entirely siding with you and sympathetic until you decided to go and name them in a public thread. C'mon guys, you know better than this.

This is what the Feedback system is for, and while we officially do not get involved in transactions (as there are always three sides to every story - we do not have the time or resources to launch investigations), I have occasionally stepped in to get results when there is a clear case of wrong doing.

This thread will now be closed. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about things. Let's try and do the right thing guys!