Yep. They're not that unusual, either. Very common speaker back in the day. Warm, woolly, mushy with poor imaging. The drivers were always capable of much more, than the KEF enclosures and poor crossovers. I used the same drivers in a Bailey transmission line, with Radford crossovers, back in the 1970s. Very impressive sound quality. The KEF Concertos, not so much.

I've got two pairs of factory built KEF Concertos. I've found they benefit significantly from -

• Re-capping the crossover networks
  • Replacing the inductors with air-cored types, but you will have to instal the revised crossover network inside the box as the rebated area and DN12 crossover PCB isn't big enough to replace the cored inductors with air-cored types.
  • Get rid of the stupid edge connector the crossover PCB slots into. IME and IMO it doesn't provide a good electrical connection.
  • Drill two holes in the moulded plastic plate that has the DIN socket on it and rewire the input wires to some decent screw down terminals.
  • Get the cabinets off the floor. Put the speakers on stands or build a plinth for them to stand on about 200 - 250mm high.
  • Keep the speakers away from corners and keep a decent clearance from the wall behind them.

These will vastly improve a pair of standard Concertos for a modest outlay. As ZB has pointed out, if you want to get the best out of the drivers installing them in a transmission line enclosure improves the performance and increases the power handling capacity.

Cheers,

Alan R.

I've had a pair of Concertos since I bought them (new) in 1975. Mine look a bit different. The crossover isn't recessed & you can't see the components. Can see the label etc - SP004. Also the terminals at the back are just recessed into the chipboard - no plastic surround. I'd always assumed they were factory made. Could mine be assembled in Australia?

This company sells crossovers for the Concerto. I've been thinking about buying them.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/crossovers-ls35a-networks-filters-falcon/kef-b139b-b110-t27-crossover-dn12-sp1004-kef-concerto-upgrade-network.html

I've had a pair of Concertos since I bought them (new) in 1975. Mine look a bit different. The crossover isn't recessed & you can't see the components. Can see the label etc - SP004. Also the terminals at the back are just recessed into the chipboard - no plastic surround. I'd always assumed they were factory made. Could mine be assembled in Australia?

This company sells crossovers for the Concerto. I've been thinking about buying them.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/crossovers-ls35a-networks-filters-falcon/kef-b139b-b110-t27-crossover-dn12-sp1004-kef-concerto-upgrade-network.html

Pear,

I have a "mint" set of Concertos that fit the description you have given.

When I bought them some years back, a few forum members advised that the crossover network was worth replacing, but I have always been keen to maintain them in "original" condition.

The crossovers you provided the link, for look worth investigating.

If you do go down that path, please let us/me know the results.

I have two active crossover projects to complete before buying any further components!

The demand for Concertos in the 1970's was high enough for the agents,Audioson International P/L to manufacture the cabinets in N.S.W. A cabinet kit was also available for the D.I.Y. market as a result of ELECTRONICS Australia heeding their readers' demands for a higher quality speaker design than what was usually published.The DN 12 is a limiting factor and better xover components are an immediate improvement although a more up to date design would be better still.

Pear,

If you do go down that path, please let us/me know the results.

I have two active crossover projects to complete before buying any further components!

I've got higher priorities at the moment as well - set up my Thorens TD160 turntable with a new cartridge (Nagaoka MP 110) when it arrives, and find a new rack.

The speakers sold for $518. Seems a reasonable price as long as the drivers are OK.

Edited by peal
Yep. They're not that unusual, either. Very common speaker back in the day. Warm, woolly, mushy with poor imaging. The drivers were always capable of much more, than the KEF enclosures and poor crossovers. I used the same drivers in a Bailey transmission line, with Radford crossovers, back in the 1970s. Very impressive sound quality. The KEF Concertos, not so much.

Hi there,

From memory, the IMF Monitors used pretty much the same drivers in a transmission line enclosure & they were fantastic.

Boots.