Spotify Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

There's still stuff Australian users are locked out of in Tidal

I believe the difference in availability on streaming services (and region to region) is based on the agreements with labels. Which is why some artists come and go on different services, and what is on Spotify may not be on Tidal (and vice versa). I pay for Tidal so listen to that 99% of the time, then listen to some of the missing stuff on Spotify. This is just another reason I'd happily move to Spotify HiFi - they seem to strike better deals with the labels and have more available.

I only use the free version on my desktop and have never heard an advertisment. Nor have I had any restrictions on skipping or anything else.

Not sure why but I will take it any day of the week  and since I only use it for discovery and to check out possible purchases it serves me just fine.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eltech said:

No there is only randomised streaming in Australia. You may get one or two skips before a popup tells you that skipping is available in the subscription version

I am streaming a Shpongle album on Spotify on my PC now,  as a free user. Every 10 minutes or so there's some video ads, which can be skipped after 5 seconds. Annoying, but hey, it's free.

--Geoff

2 minutes ago, Tony B said:

We need Spotify to sit down with the Roon team and strike a deal.

As mentioned by Darko in his comment on Spotify Lossless, Roon's subscriber base is 100,000. A mere drop in the ocean compared to the 300 million Spotify users! Spotify will undoubtedly prefer their subscribers to use their UI (Sonos the only exception here), and the paltry 100k Roon base will not even register on their radar. i wish it was different, but doesn't seem to be much hope for Roon/Spotify integration.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, metal beat said:

What does Roon do for the Spotify app that Spotify doesn't all ready do itself ?

A lot more! 

No need to use the Spotify app if Roon could connect directly to their servers.

Qobuz and Tidal allow it.

Edited by Tony B

29 minutes ago, Tony B said:

A lot more! 

No need to use the Spotify app if Roon could connect directly to their servers.

Qobuz and Tidal allow it.

So it does absolutely nothing for Spotify.   

Aint gonna happen.

Spotify are #1 for a reason.  Their app is the easiest most user friendly one around.  They will not dilute it. 

• Like 3

When I work I'm digging holes or building retaining walls or laying pavers or uncovering blocked sewer pipes yada yada . I have industrial noise bashing into me most days if I'm working and the gift that is the 11 bucks or something a month that is spotty is just wonderful. $40 ear plugs into the ph and there it is. Get home and it's picked up by a streaming speaker thingy and it just plays stuff It thinks I'll like and I'm happy to listen while I'm getting dinner ready or working in the workshop/come mancave2.

Discoveries of music I'd never ever have come across is endless, I hit the like button and from there I go looking and listening  at what's available from that obscure artist. If I really like then I'll find a flac if I really really like then it's vinyl and spotty gets turned off and  mancave1 and it's modest analogue stuff gets a workout.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, eltech said:

No there is only randomised streaming in Australia. You may get one or two skips before a popup tells you that skipping is available in the subscription version

1 hour ago, rantan said:

I only use the free version on my desktop and have never heard an advertisment. Nor have I had any restrictions on skipping or anything else.

Not sure why but I will take it any day of the week  and since I only use it for discovery and to check out possible purchases it serves me just fine.

I believe the free Spotify certainly have some ads but allow unrestricted skipping on a desktop platform. However on a mobile platform like a phone restriction on skipping applies. 

Edited by LHC
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Aint gonna happen.

Spotify are #1 for a reason.  Their app is the easiest most user friendly one around.  They will not dilute it. 

Not a Roon fan I take it?

I use Spotify and Tidal.  Spotify app is far superior to Tidal and their content is bigger and better. Allowing Roon to see their servers would not affect the app or other users at all. 

We all know they won’t do it but for Roon users it would have be been brilliant. 

i think it may be possibly too late for spotify to convert me back to lossless. i have learned to live with their highest quality stream. and honestly, i can't really hear the difference. i still have my flac files, but these days it's pretty much 99% listening on spotify. i'll only consider if it isn't too much extra.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rantan said:

I only use the free Spotty to preview albums that come on to my radar then I decide if I will buy them on Vinyl or CD after that - but I do get the adverts after every few songs ...........but if they upgrade their service as suggested here I will stop being a scrooge and pay the subscription ?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, metal beat said:

Aint gonna happen.

I think one of the benefits Spotify see in tying people to their app is that they can advertise podcasts at them on the main page. Every 3 minutes you spend in the Spotify app listening to a podcast, rather than a song is 3 minutes of content they don’t have to pay anyone for. 

I don’t use Roon but I have a long Tidal trial tied into my Lightning DS control app from Auralic and I do like that but I can’t see Spotify ever supporting it. As you say, there’s really no upside for them and significant loss of control and exposure. I’ll most likely drop Tidal and switch my Spotify account to hifi as soon as I can but I will miss that integration 

46 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I think one of the benefits Spotify see in tying people to their app is that they can advertise podcasts at them on the main page. Every 3 minutes you spend in the Spotify app listening to a podcast, rather than a song is 3 minutes of content they don’t have to pay anyone for. 

I don’t use Roon but I have a long Tidal trial tied into my Lightning DS control app from Auralic and I do like that but I can’t see Spotify ever supporting it. As you say, there’s really no upside for them and significant loss of control and exposure. I’ll most likely drop Tidal and switch my Spotify account to hifi as soon as I can but I will miss that integration 

Seems like Auralic supports Spotify - though this article is from 2017, and things might have changed since then.

https://darko.audio/2017/12/surprise-auralic-add-spotify-connect/

15 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Seems like Auralic supports Spotify - though this article is from 2017, and things might have changed since then.

https://darko.audio/2017/12/surprise-auralic-add-spotify-connect/

Sort of.

Auralic supports Spotify Connect, which means that you can control Spotify via the app and "cast" the audio directly to the streamer without it going through your phone/ipad. Tidal integrates so that if you search an artist or album inside Lightning DS (the Auralic control app) you get results both from your library and from Tidal (qobuz too, I think, if you have it), same as you do with Roon (as I understand it).

Connect is better than Bluetooth or airplay but not the same as being integrated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Sort of.

Auralic supports Spotify Connect, which means that you can control Spotify via the app and "cast" the audio directly to the streamer without it going through your phone/ipad. Tidal integrates so that if you search an artist or album inside Lightning DS (the Auralic control app) you get results both from your library and from Tidal (qobuz too, I think, if you have it), same as you do with Roon (as I understand it).

Connect is better than Bluetooth or airplay but not the same as being integrated. 

Am not a heavy Spotify user. The only time I tried Spotify on my Auralic Aries Femto was sometime back and if I remember correctly, I had 'cast' it to the Auralic, through connect.

I get what you mean about full integration - definitely helps to have that for your most favorite streaming service

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
13 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Time to put out all your CD players onto the nature strip for collection as e-waste at the next council clean up. ?

Are you after picking up a couple for free then?

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
18 hours ago, metal beat said:

Aint gonna happen.

Given the comparative size of their operation, there will be other reasons for keeping you in the app, whether it's collecting more data about your usage, or having access to location data and some control over streaming rates if their servers or the network are under pressure.

Comparatively, the value of the Tidal app has actually gone down for me as they have "added more features" and attempted to make it look nicer. The startup time to open Tidal has also fallen through the floor recently....

5 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

Given the comparative size of their operation, there will be other reasons for keeping you in the app, whether it's collecting more data about your usage, or having access to location data and some control over streaming rates if their servers or the network are under pressure.

Comparatively, the value of the Tidal app has actually gone down for me as they have "added more features" and attempted to make it look nicer. The startup time to open Tidal has also fallen through the floor recently....

You can rest assured that part of the code that allows Tidal to run in Roon and other environments sends all the juicy data back to Tidal as sure as if you were running the app by itself. Aside from just being their business model about how they pay artists and such, it’s how they know what to recommend you listen to next (whether that’s successful or not). They wouldn’t cut themselves off from that just to keep and comparatively minuscule number of Roon users happy

6 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Hi, I think there might be only 2 companies that have Spotify integrated... Sonos and Tesla..

For everybody else it's Spotify Connect.

Edited by rand129678
Added
  • Like 1

For anyone interested, I discovered that you can stream Spotify directly to your TV via Chromecast too - it is pretty cool the artist details come up on the screen, playing next, history notes etc - looks cool. Ok I know it is not perfect CD quality but if you have your TV connected to your amp, it is kinda fun for casual listening - I cast Spotty from my Mac Book Pro to the Chromecast.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I'm curious if Spotify Connect implementation on audio products (streamers/amplifiers etc) needs to be modified at a hardware level to accomodate the higher tier?

I say no.

Lets bet a high end USB cable on it. if I lose I buy one from you. if you lose you procure one for me..?

(I know it seems unfair - but your better at this than me....)