Help needed Yamaha NS-1000M Lpad knob positions

Hi all,

Just wondering if my NS-1000M Lpad knobs are mounted on the shaft correctly in the correct position.  The treble and mid Lpads have different extreme end points. is this normal, or has the knob been put on the shaft in the wrong position?  Do the below extreme correlate to yours?  My midi knob is about 1/8 of a turn in front of the treble.  I'm trying to determine where the flat posotion is.

Here is a photo of the fully counter clockwise position ie minimum or off.

image.thumb.png.3eaa7b9ae209da51c93a88df51b083ad.png

and here is fully clockwise, ie full or no attenuation.

image.thumb.png.115523303033e1ccb9be1538dc1f5079.png

Well, you learn something every day!

My 3 pairs (or 6 speakers) are all the same as yours, so I have to assume that's correct.

But I must admit I've never noticed that before.9_9

BTW, just from the limited scope of your pics, that looks like a very nice pair you have there.:thumb:

Edited by Tony M

Never seen that in several pairs I’ve had. You should try to adjust them correctly as it’s obviously not right.

10 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Never seen that in several pairs I’ve had. You should try to adjust them correctly as it’s obviously not right.

Then how do you explain mine are exactly the same?

And the sample I'm referring to is essentially 4 pairs as 2 of mine are mismatched RHS speakers from 2 different pairs.

Did you check with speakers you have or just assume?  Like I said, despite many decades of experience with these I've never before noticed what the OP has asked about.  But, mine confirm his findings as probably typical.

It looks wrong, but appears to be right.

7 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Then how do you explain mine are exactly the same?

And the sample I'm referring to is essentially 4 pairs as 2 of mine are mismatched RHS speakers from 2 different pairs.

Did you check with speakers you have or just assume?  Like I said, despite many decades of experience with these I've never before noticed what the OP has asked about.  But, mine confirm his findings as probably typical.

It looks wrong, but appears to be right.

Then there are two obviously wrong pairs by coincidence.

I have 6 NS1000M's here ATM.  They are from 4 different pairs as 2 of those 6 speakers are from 2 different pairs. (the mismatched RHS ones I use with grilles on in the TV room).

All 6  of those are identical to the OP's in terms of the range of the potentiometers.

Are you seriously saying these 8 speakers from 5 different pairs (the OP's and mine) exhibiting identical characteristics is coincidence and they are all wrong in exactly the same way?

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,  thanks for the confirmation.  I fully agree, if you have 6 that are identicle to mine, then I say that the way it should be.

I can only assume the Mid must had neded a little extra attenuation for the flat(normal) position, hence why you have to wind it back further from the full extreme.

Just checked mine - a pair with serial numbers in the 107000s recently purchased from @erest. Exactly the same as the OP.

If the range differs for AI.M I guess it's possible that over the decades the part used changed and serial numbers might tell us something about when?