Sonique SAV Speakers

I recently acquired a 5.1 set of Sonique SAV speakers comprised of 2 x SAV-4, 2 x SAV-1, 1 x SAV-C1 and a SAV-Sub1. The set is in superb condition and has been very well cared for. I believe the set I have are the original incarnation released back in 1997. I have owned many home theatre speakers over the years and was not expecting too much from the Sonique's given they were an entry level product and are over 20 years old. But I have to say I am very impressed with them and they look good – they don't look dated at all. The subwoofer is the weak link in the system – lacking a bit of punch and lower end extension - so I am using a Sunfire True MkII (almost as old) in preference. I am not using the SAV-1s in my 5.1 set up as I have ceiling mounted B&Ws as my rears. But I am trialling them as stereo music speakers in my home office and coupled with a sub they are certainly doing a decent job. Interestingly the specs say the 1s only go down to 85 Hz but suspecting they dug deeper I ran a tone generator on them and found went down to around 40 Hz which is amazing from such compact and narrow cabinets (only 12 cm deep). I have read that the Mk IIs were a better product, but I am genuinely enamoured by these handsome speakers and they are handling home cinema duties with aplomb. The SAV 4's are also proving to be decent stereo music speakers. I can see myself hanging on to them for some time yet. If anyone has any detailed specs or scans of the original brochure or manual I would love to get a copy.

Sonique Sav (1).jpg

Edited by earlcole

20 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Great pickup mate. I don't think Sonique made a bad speaker. I had a set of their SAV 3 speakers and they were excellent.

I am very happy with mine. Very little info online about them though. Would love to get the specs or a PDF of the manual or brochure.

3 hours ago, earlcole said:

I am very happy with mine. Very little info online about them though. Would love to get the specs or a PDF of the manual or brochure.

Yeah I could never find much info either mate. They aren't around anymore unfortunately however they made quality products that's for sure. I'll keep my eye out for you ;) 

• Like 1