FS: Mint Modded Hi-end LKS DA-004 DAC WITHDRAWN FROM SALE

Item Condition: Mint
Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Dilston
State: TAS
Payment Method: Bank Transfer
Reason for selling: Surplus to requirements

Further information: 

I have two of these but am parting with one.  This is the best DAC I’ve owned and transforms good CDs to sound as good as SACDs and other hi-rez.  I’m often surprised at the AQ being heard and find it is merely CD quality, not Hi-Rez.  One acid test of a DAC;s ability to translate digital to pristine analog is a harpsichord recording.  Most DACs turn this into a jangled mess but the LKS transforms all the complex harmonics into beautifully sounding music.

This LKS was modded by Rick Schultz and was imported from the USA so comes with a quality step down transformer which effectively isolates the DAC from power line nasties.

I’ll copy and paste below more info on this DAC gleaned from Rick Schultz net posts and please contact me for any more information.

As far as I know this is the first and only DAC in the world with two ESS9038 DAC chips running in dual mono. But it has so much more: discrete shunt regulators for the output stage, completely discrete output stages (no op amps), serious rectifier diodes, two 40 watt transformers, I2S input, digital volume control, DSD512 capable, Furutech AC inlet, 7 digital filter choices, Cardas output jacks, serious parts, etc. Even the remote is a hunk of aluminum. This thing is huge.....and it sounds amazing....even stock. The simple mods I do tfor a few hundred dollasrs ake it to another level. If you are using anything besides usb it sounds best with the usb board removed. I personally think that usb should always be done externally with a modded Singxer running I2S into the DAC.

A single ESS 9038 DAC is essentially 4 ESS9028 DACs in parallel. So running two of them in mono mode means you essentially have 32 9028 channels in parallel. The more DACs in parallel the better the resolution....this is a know fact.

Taken awhile but finally did some more terrific mods to the LKS and it is now clearly the best DAC I have heard.   Amazing what changing and modding a few parts can do.  Simply stunning!

I have a friend in Pocoima who has one of these and we have been tweaking them at the same time.  He has a great expensive turntable system  and he says that playing 16/44 from his Beatis server through coax and then through modified IFI spdif Ipurifier and then through modded LKS is at least as good as his turntable system!!  No upsampling....nada....just great sound.

The Basic mod I have worked out makes a serious improvement in involvement, reality, dynamics, low level detail, imaging, depth, air, lower distortion......well, basically everything.  I do mods to the AC power, the DC power, output stage filtering, all output stages, the spdif type inputs, etc.:

1.     Remove fuse distortions.
2.  Remove all steel from around the transformers and remount transformers on pieces of wood.
3. Twist secondary AC wires.
4. Apply Graphene contact enhancer on AC connectors on board.
5. Damp all rectifier diodes with constrained layer damping material
6. Damp all heatsinks with constrained layer damping material.
7. Remove all coupling caps on the spdif inputs and replace with custom pure copper wire in cotton (listened to for directionality).
8. Shorten the signal path on the unbalanced outputs and use our custom wire here.
9. Change filter caps in output stage to better ones
10. Change all compensation caps in all output stages to better ones.
11. Damp certain power supply caps
12. Remove steel leads from film caps on 3.3V power supply to DAC and orient caps in proper direction (outside foil to ground).
13. Properly orient poly caps on output of regulators for output stage.
14. Change IV resistors to high quality ones.
15. Remount output transistors in IV stages and bend them forward so they are no longer close to the power supply caps and wrap those power supply caps with gold reflective tape to further reduce their temperature.  The transistors in the stock LKS are too close to the caps and can cause them to burn up within a year if left on all the time.  The very latest LKS DACs have the transistors mounted underneath the chassis to eliminate this problem.  My solution works as well.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
  • You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
    - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

DSC_3234front x.jpg

DSC_3225x.jpg

DSC_3229X.jpg

DSC_3232x.jpg

Edited by Tassie Devil
Changed my mind about selling it
  • Like 2
  • Tassie Devil changed the title to FS: Mint Modded Hi-end LKS DA-004 DAC WITHDRAWN FROM SALE
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maverick730
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Everton Hills State: QLD Payment Method: Paypal(as friend or fee), eft, cash Reason for selling: Surplus Further information:
      In good condition. Selling as no longer used. Comes with 2 cables 1.2m and 3m. Regular post is included.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By ozo
      Item Condition: Brand new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Wantirna State: VIC Payment Method: Cash, Paypal +2.6%, Payid Reason for selling: Not needed Further information:
      IsoTek EVO3 Sirius (black) brand new in box never used, can post at buyers expense.

RRP $1299
      https://www.isoteksystems.com/product/performance/evo3-sirius/

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By Mikey B
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Alexandria State: NSW Payment Method: Cash on pickup Reason for selling: Have upgraded to a new system Further information:

Selling a Vincent SP-331MK Hybrid Power Amplifier. It's a hybrid tube-transistor design that delivers class A at lower outputs and then class B at higher outputs. Two sets of output posts to allow for bi-wiring. Big, powerful amp that delivers great sound in my opinion. Generally very positive reviews: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/vincent-audio-sa-31mk-hybrid-linestage-preamplifier-sp-331mk-hybrid-power-amplifier-tas-208-2   Full tech specs are here: www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/powerline/sp-331mk.html   This amp has been well-used but has also been well looked-after. No cosmetic damage anywhere on the unit. Still performs perfectly. Comes with orginal box and packaging. Audition is possible but will require some notice. I no longer have it set up in my system.    Recommended retail is $2,900. Pickup only. It weighs about 25kg so shipping is not really practical.  
      Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By colinm1
      Item Condition: excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: BRUCE ROCK State: WA Payment Method: paypal or bank deposit Reason for selling: CULLING Further information:
      cd is in as new condition
      $6 including post

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By Plasmod3
      Item Condition: Good condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: Cash into account Reason for selling: Upgraded Further information: Something again you don't see often on the forums. A Nordost Vidar Cable Burning unit. Works perfectly. See photo for condition, its pretty good

Photos:

PLEASE READ