Stanton 881 Black diamond surprise!!

I started testing this a week ago but due to work commitments only now I can give a conclusion.

Black diamond make a great stylus for the Stanton 681 (really good actually), but they dont make one for the 881. All Swiss stylus are MM even for MI, MM works on a MI but not the other way around but as much as the 681 stylus works on the 881 and sounds OK separation is terrible due to different magnet positions. The black diamond (Alalogis) for the 681 has 35dB separation and tracks at 1.25g which is stunning for such a cheap stylus, but the same stylus on a 881 the separation drops to 15dB.. What other options do we have? The black diamond D71ee, but ears are more narrow so wont fit... A snip later the D71 has no ears and slid straight on which I secured with a tiny dab of blu tac in position (no ears). I measured separation and it was 37dB!!!!!! Wow that is stunning, but that was as far as I got as I had to work. Today I am preparing for a course but got to work at home in the listening room so more testing :)

I testing tracking force, it tracked at 0.75g, but sounded thin and slightly sibilant on some S, I increased to 1g and all was good, but 1.5g everything was perfect, 1.3g is great too but just more of everything at 1.4 or 5g which is in the zone of the original Stanton for the 881.

Sound quality, is very very good indeed, output is slightly higher than a 881 stylus, but all is as it should be. I am for a fan of the 681 retipped or the black diamond as a slightly softer presentation to the 881, but just my personal taste. On a budget the D71ee from black diamond with a little surgery performs amazingly well and for not much money too.

Chris

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris 

Great to hear you managed to get the black diamond into the 881's. I'm looking forward to trying your BD stylus you sent for the technics very soon. The prices are very reasonable and the re-tip on the P77i is very nice indeed....

I have a spare 881s body so will be in touch for one of these!

Cheers  Ian.

23 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Hi Chris 

Great to hear you managed to get the black diamond into the 881's. I'm looking forward to trying your BD stylus you sent for the technics very soon. The prices are very reasonable and the re-tip on the P77i is very nice indeed....

I have a spare 881s body so will be in touch for one of these!

Cheers  Ian.

Hi Ian,

Yes I am really happy with the test with D71ee on the 881.  Love the Excel corp carts (P77i) silky smooth in a MC way.

Chris

1 hour ago, cafe latte said:

Hi Ian,

Yes I am really happy with the test with D71ee on the 881.  Love the Excel corp carts (P77i) silky smooth in a MC way.

Chris

I have to get around to sending you my XSV 3000 for a look. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, PKay said:

Whenever working for two weeks groan.. No hifi for two weeks is going to be painful :)

Chris

56 minutes ago, PKay said:

The magic that Chris worked on my P77 was excellent. I'm still having a play with the vta and damping on the amadeus.

• Like 1