16 hours ago, Luc said:

All Cyrus gear.

Amen.

Dunno how they have gotten away with it for so long.

• Like 3
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These look Rubbish...    

Whatever the ugly speaker you want, first tell your wife you want these and then "settle" on your real choice.  

Vivid Gaia range but after hearing them I don't care anymore. They are amazing   They remind me of the alien from The Fifth Element    

Ok, this may not be appreciated by some of the cognoscenti, but this reminds me of what a robot would see if it had a fridge and opened it...

ECF9447E-8042-4AD1-BB28-3810AAD85BB6.jpeg

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Luc said:

All Cyrus gear.

simple yet elegant lines, compact, modest and self-effacing with reasonable SQ. Yes, an affront to all self-respecting audiophiles. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, buddyev said:

simple yet elegant lines, compact, modest and self-effacing with reasonable SQ. Yes, an affront to all self-respecting audiophiles. 

Hmm. Sure, they were in 1994. They look very dated now. Could they really not come up with something better in the intervening quarter century? They’re by no means the only culprits and far from the worst but, try harder, guys :D 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, buddyev said:

:sarc:

15 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Hmm. Sure, they were in 1994. They look very dated now. Could they really not come up with something better in the intervening quarter century? They’re by no means the only culprits and far from the worst but, try harder, guys :D 

They have. The One that I posted earlier

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, rantan said:

:sarc:

No. I like them. If I could get the same performance out of a Cyrus size amp that I get out of my ridiculous pile of big black boxes I’d take it every time. 

5 minutes ago, buddyev said:

No. I like them. If I could get the same performance out of a Cyrus size amp that I get out of my ridiculous pile of big black boxes I’d take it every time. 

Errrr. OK.

However, IMO they are ugly and my opinion on their sonics would be OT for this topic, so being a veritable model of restraint, I shall refrain.?

7 hours ago, buddyev said:

Did you ever own a P76 by any chance?

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Luc said:

Did you ever own a P76 by any chance?

Is that a world war 2 fighter plane? No I didn’t 

The P76 was fugly in a way that Cyrus couldn't begin to imagine.

I was driving an almost new one in Melbourne in 1976 (firm's car) during a rainstorm and the wiper switch broke as I turned it on.  That was OK as the wipers were definitely needed.  However a few minutes later, the wiper broke off the arm which continued to gouge a furrow in the windscreen!

The merits of being able to fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot were lost on me at that point.9_9

But a mint Force 7 coupe would be worth what today?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2021 at 10:43 PM, twofires said:

392639988_images(22).jpeg.08f06d06284f77cb17e73dd31e298cf4.jpeg

My bugbear is poorly executed wood veneer finishes that make the black option preferable. Here's an example:

195325435_images(23).jpeg.70fa721043d655e4603f76e3867f53e6.jpeg

These Revel speakers sound fantastic, but the syrupy, uneven glossy finish screams "cheap, poly-coated 7-string guitar" to me. The black driver surrounds also don't suit the veneer at all. If they're going to do glossy wood veneer they need to take a look at some Monitor Audios to see how it's done. 

completely agree. Revel are possibly among the best sounding speakers available but they really need a substantial rethink of the aesthetics. Pretty much everything in their line up is a screaming fugly hi-fi item, IMHO. Except the Concertas which look ok, too bad these are the entry line.

• Like 1
On 21/02/2021 at 11:14 AM, Rocketfrogs said:

Davone Speakers

davone-ray-standmount-speakers-15674635386943_1024x1024.jpg?v=1605844638

Reminds me of ET! Am I showing my age...

35 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have just posted this on another thread. So how do these rate on Fugly Spectrum. Not mine BTW. 

106F3A11-65F1-40CC-81DD-57D0FDB49B6F.jpeg

Looks like a pair of lecterns with accordion folders jammed in. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I have just posted this on another thread. So how do these rate on Fugly Spectrum. Not mine BTW. 

106F3A11-65F1-40CC-81DD-57D0FDB49B6F.jpeg

For me these would have to be in the right room and surroundings. If some of the extra furniture and the bikes currently in our living room were taken out these would fit in nicely. Not so much in a minimalist room with lots of white walls and chrome metal, unless you were lucky.

My partner, though, she'd put books on top of them and on all the other flat wooden surfaces! So not for me. She can't reach the tops of the Osborns!

• Like 2
On 22/02/2021 at 12:11 AM, metal beat said:

for a cool 230k you can own this piece of fugly hifi  

transrotor-artus-fmd-turntable.jpg

Always reminds me of....

North Sea oil platform extends asset life with ABB Consulting - ABB  automation solutions for Oil, Gas and Petrochemicals (ABB process  automation and control solutions by industry)

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

For me these would have to be in the right room and surroundings. If some of the extra furniture and the bikes currently in our living room were taken out these would fit in nicely. Not so much in a minimalist room with lots of white walls and chrome metal, unless you were lucky.

My partner, though, she'd put books on top of them and on all the other flat wooden surfaces! So not for me. She can't reach the tops of the Osborns!

I think a big part of getting a “good” system is being room smart, being very in-sync with the type of music you mainly listen to, when and how loud.  And how others react to that. Not every speaker is for everyone. Very personal choice. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

vintage-design-space-age-commander-music-player-stereo-set-by-theo-schmitz-for-rosita-1970s.jpg.632dd1db0bd067166dc479b5a4bc5668.jpg

This thing which I assume served as the design inspiration for the Tandy TRS-80 4D

unnamed.jpg.f92f6a090855a5be94da92a54b15f037.jpg

I think I had a Sony which looked the same. Beauty was that the operating system load from floppys. The OS don’t load from a EPROM or PROM so as new OSs came out it could adapt. Long gone. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

vintage-design-space-age-commander-music-player-stereo-set-by-theo-schmitz-for-rosita-1970s.jpg.632dd1db0bd067166dc479b5a4bc5668.jpg

Don't think it's terribly practical but I like this retro look. Don't mind it more accurately.

• Like 1

To be honest it looks like an upright piano on a chrome pedestal to me. I remember when the GEC Weltron was released and thought they were groovy, but back then I thought wearing Old Spice and drinking Cold Duck was the height of sophistication.

weltron-2007_3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

kyron_gaia_4.jpg.460507b640d33ef0862fa325b5ac4be0.jpgdownload-1.jpg.9b656d57eff384522bf93058be7eaa8c.jpg

You can always drop a quarter of a million dollars on these. You just know that your wife would just love them. .......

The great thing about this ugly equipment is that I show these to my wife, and then show her some Sonus Faber speakers and get instant approval !!!

• Like 3
On 22/02/2021 at 9:39 AM, Ray H said:

Ok, this may not be appreciated by some of the cognoscenti, but this reminds me of what a robot would see if it had a fridge and opened it...

ECF9447E-8042-4AD1-BB28-3810AAD85BB6.jpeg

I love the look of this!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

index.jpg.3575b57ce2722fed17dfd6e6e1dd1aab.jpg"But Darling they sound so much better without the grilles on."

No this module but a lesser one did get a very good review from a pro YouTube presenter. He had it in his top ten. 

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Pretty much everything from Chord

That strikes a... no forget about it. I am wondering if this thing makes a good cup of espresso:

Ultima-Pre-Front-900x675.jpg

Edited by thethrowback
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, thethrowback said:

That strikes a... no forget about it. I am wondering if this thing makes a good cup of espresso:

with that knob, it's definitely a toaster

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

Now that’s ugly. The guy who designed it did get busted for drugs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 21/02/2021 at 11:11 PM, RankStranger said:

Dynaudio c4 make my eyes bleed. Just hideous

I’ve never herd anyone say a bad word about how Vivid sound but I can’t take them seriously. They look stupid to me. 

I own the C1's and was just telling a mate the other day that I do like the C2 and C4's symmetrical look but don't like the C1. As for Vivid, Love the G1 and 2. Don't like the G3 and 4. Those tubes in that circle just look wrong. I'd still have them though. Love the sound.

31 minutes ago, Pim said:

I own the C1's and was just telling a mate the other day that I do like the C2 and C4's symmetrical look but don't like the C1. As for Vivid, Love the G1 and 2. Don't like the G3 and 4. Those tubes in that circle just look wrong. I'd still have them though. Love the sound.

(heresy alert) how a speaker looks is almost as important to me as how it sounds. I wouldn’t live with a bad sounding speaker just because it looked good but I also wouldn’t live with an ugly (to me) speaker, even for great sound.

That said, I reckon my speakers are absolutely gorgeous but my mate calls them ikea speakers (they’re clear birch with a very minimalist look) and my wife thinks they’re flat out ugly so the theme of this thread is definitely each to their own. For example, I love the look of Ls3/5as and Klipsch Heresys and quad 404 amps. Are they beautiful? Not really and they sure aren’t the objectively best-sounding gear but they have a certain aura about them, part cool, part nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

21 hours ago, allthumbs said:

index.jpg.3575b57ce2722fed17dfd6e6e1dd1aab.jpg"But Darling they sound so much better without the grilles on."

trypophobia
/ˌtrɪpə(ʊ)ˈfəʊbɪə/

noun
  1. extreme or irrational aversion to or fear of clusters of small holes or bumps.
    "the repeated four-circle design will aggravate anyone with trypophobia"
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Hydrology said:

I love the look of this!!!

Me too!

I guess WE cinema amps were made to be heard and not seen. Those zany guys at Line Magnetic don't care. The 212's are out, loud and proud!

• Like 2
  • Marc changed the title to UGLY hi fi equipment