UGLY hi fi equipment

Guest thethrowback
1 hour ago, blybo said:

Pretty much everything from Chord

That strikes a... no forget about it. I am wondering if this thing makes a good cup of espresso:

Ultima-Pre-Front-900x675.jpg

Edited by thethrowback

On 21/02/2021 at 11:11 PM, RankStranger said:

Dynaudio c4 make my eyes bleed. Just hideous

I’ve never herd anyone say a bad word about how Vivid sound but I can’t take them seriously. They look stupid to me. 

I own the C1's and was just telling a mate the other day that I do like the C2 and C4's symmetrical look but don't like the C1. As for Vivid, Love the G1 and 2. Don't like the G3 and 4. Those tubes in that circle just look wrong. I'd still have them though. Love the sound.

31 minutes ago, Pim said:

I own the C1's and was just telling a mate the other day that I do like the C2 and C4's symmetrical look but don't like the C1. As for Vivid, Love the G1 and 2. Don't like the G3 and 4. Those tubes in that circle just look wrong. I'd still have them though. Love the sound.

(heresy alert) how a speaker looks is almost as important to me as how it sounds. I wouldn’t live with a bad sounding speaker just because it looked good but I also wouldn’t live with an ugly (to me) speaker, even for great sound.

That said, I reckon my speakers are absolutely gorgeous but my mate calls them ikea speakers (they’re clear birch with a very minimalist look) and my wife thinks they’re flat out ugly so the theme of this thread is definitely each to their own. For example, I love the look of Ls3/5as and Klipsch Heresys and quad 404 amps. Are they beautiful? Not really and they sure aren’t the objectively best-sounding gear but they have a certain aura about them, part cool, part nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

21 hours ago, allthumbs said:

index.jpg.3575b57ce2722fed17dfd6e6e1dd1aab.jpg"But Darling they sound so much better without the grilles on."

trypophobia
/ˌtrɪpə(ʊ)ˈfəʊbɪə/

noun
  1. extreme or irrational aversion to or fear of clusters of small holes or bumps.
    "the repeated four-circle design will aggravate anyone with trypophobia"
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hydrology said:

I love the look of this!!!

Me too!

I guess WE cinema amps were made to be heard and not seen. Those zany guys at Line Magnetic don't care. The 212's are out, loud and proud!

7 hours ago, RankStranger said:

trypophobia
/ˌtrɪpə(ʊ)ˈfəʊbɪə/

noun
  1. extreme or irrational aversion to or fear of clusters of small holes or bumps.
    "the repeated four-circle design will aggravate anyone with trypophobia"

It's real. 

This image isn't organic enough to produce the fear luckily. 

On 21/02/2021 at 9:11 PM, metal beat said:

for a cool 230k you can own this piece of fugly hifi  

transrotor-artus-fmd-turntable.jpg

Maybe i'll wait for the "ebay tribute" version :D

After someones uncle / aunty adds their personal flair to this vinyl spinning tour de force... It might just be the version that i'd be interested in.