UGLY hi fi equipment

15 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Hmm. Sure, they were in 1994. They look very dated now. Could they really not come up with something better in the intervening quarter century? They’re by no means the only culprits and far from the worst but, try harder, guys :D 

They have. The One that I posted earlier

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buddyev said:

No. I like them. If I could get the same performance out of a Cyrus size amp that I get out of my ridiculous pile of big black boxes I’d take it every time. 

Errrr. OK.

However, IMO they are ugly and my opinion on their sonics would be OT for this topic, so being a veritable model of restraint, I shall refrain.?

7 hours ago, buddyev said:

simple yet elegant lines, compact, modest and self-effacing with reasonable SQ. Yes, an affront to all self-respecting audiophiles. 

Did you ever own a P76 by any chance?

• Like 1

The P76 was fugly in a way that Cyrus couldn't begin to imagine.

I was driving an almost new one in Melbourne in 1976 (firm's car) during a rainstorm and the wiper switch broke as I turned it on.  That was OK as the wipers were definitely needed.  However a few minutes later, the wiper broke off the arm which continued to gouge a furrow in the windscreen!

The merits of being able to fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot were lost on me at that point.9_9

But a mint Force 7 coupe would be worth what today?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2021 at 10:43 PM, twofires said:

392639988_images(22).jpeg.08f06d06284f77cb17e73dd31e298cf4.jpeg

My bugbear is poorly executed wood veneer finishes that make the black option preferable. Here's an example:

195325435_images(23).jpeg.70fa721043d655e4603f76e3867f53e6.jpeg

These Revel speakers sound fantastic, but the syrupy, uneven glossy finish screams "cheap, poly-coated 7-string guitar" to me. The black driver surrounds also don't suit the veneer at all. If they're going to do glossy wood veneer they need to take a look at some Monitor Audios to see how it's done. 

completely agree. Revel are possibly among the best sounding speakers available but they really need a substantial rethink of the aesthetics. Pretty much everything in their line up is a screaming fugly hi-fi item, IMHO. Except the Concertas which look ok, too bad these are the entry line.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I have just posted this on another thread. So how do these rate on Fugly Spectrum. Not mine BTW. 

106F3A11-65F1-40CC-81DD-57D0FDB49B6F.jpeg

Looks like a pair of lecterns with accordion folders jammed in. 

• Like 1

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I have just posted this on another thread. So how do these rate on Fugly Spectrum. Not mine BTW. 

106F3A11-65F1-40CC-81DD-57D0FDB49B6F.jpeg

For me these would have to be in the right room and surroundings. If some of the extra furniture and the bikes currently in our living room were taken out these would fit in nicely. Not so much in a minimalist room with lots of white walls and chrome metal, unless you were lucky.

My partner, though, she'd put books on top of them and on all the other flat wooden surfaces! So not for me. She can't reach the tops of the Osborns!

6 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

For me these would have to be in the right room and surroundings. If some of the extra furniture and the bikes currently in our living room were taken out these would fit in nicely. Not so much in a minimalist room with lots of white walls and chrome metal, unless you were lucky.

My partner, though, she'd put books on top of them and on all the other flat wooden surfaces! So not for me. She can't reach the tops of the Osborns!

I think a big part of getting a “good” system is being room smart, being very in-sync with the type of music you mainly listen to, when and how loud.  And how others react to that. Not every speaker is for everyone. Very personal choice. 

5 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

vintage-design-space-age-commander-music-player-stereo-set-by-theo-schmitz-for-rosita-1970s.jpg.632dd1db0bd067166dc479b5a4bc5668.jpg

This thing which I assume served as the design inspiration for the Tandy TRS-80 4D

unnamed.jpg.f92f6a090855a5be94da92a54b15f037.jpg

I think I had a Sony which looked the same. Beauty was that the operating system load from floppys. The OS don’t load from a EPROM or PROM so as new OSs came out it could adapt. Long gone. 

• Like 1

Guest thethrowback

To be honest it looks like an upright piano on a chrome pedestal to me. I remember when the GEC Weltron was released and thought they were groovy, but back then I thought wearing Old Spice and drinking Cold Duck was the height of sophistication.

weltron-2007_3.jpg

kyron_gaia_4.jpg.460507b640d33ef0862fa325b5ac4be0.jpgdownload-1.jpg.9b656d57eff384522bf93058be7eaa8c.jpg

You can always drop a quarter of a million dollars on these. You just know that your wife would just love them. .......

The great thing about this ugly equipment is that I show these to my wife, and then show her some Sonus Faber speakers and get instant approval !!!

• Like 2