Shoegaze. The topic that celebrates itself

mbd

On 29/03/2021 at 1:20 PM, Dingbat said:

Underground Lovers - Promenade - Is that Shoegaze!?!?! I like the Underground Lovers - and have like 5 albums of theirs - but I don't know that I'd call them Shoegaze? Promenade is a brilliant song.

Catherine Wheel - There's two different bands with the same name, but I haven't been able to track down the albums of either of them. The one I really want is the Australian one, the UK one seems to be the one everyone references.

Early Underground Lovers (Leaves Me Blind) was very shoegaze of the time. They got signed to 4ad then because of their closeness to the UK scene.

Catherine wheel in Australia was the band that turned into Pollyanna and they did a half passable attempt at a cross between the Posies and Sugar. 

This was a good read when I found it a while back: https://lnwy.co/read/story-shoegaze-7-records/

Edited by BugPowderDust

On 10/03/2021 at 11:04 AM, metal beat said:

for  maybe 5 years I listened to Ride - Going Blank Again at 33 speed instead of 45rpm.  I did not realise it was a double 45rpm release.

still to this day, I actually prefer playing it at 33 1/3rd  - Mark's vocals just sound drug fuuked and the music so much denser - quite cool actually.

I'm now trying to imagine "Leave them all behind" 45 played at 33. It seems like it was playing slow even at correct speed.

I will admit to almost getting through one side of a War on Drugs album 45 at 33, before chucking a fit about dirges.?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

Early Underground Lovers (Leaves Me Blind) was very shoegaze of the time. They got signed to 4ad then because of their closeness to the UK scene.

Catherine wheel in Australia was the band that turned into Pollyanna and they did a half passable attempt at a cross between the Posies and Sugar. 

This was a good read when I found it a while back: https://lnwy.co/read/story-shoegaze-7-records/

Never personally in my mind labelled Underground Lovers like that, but yes, Leaves Me Blind is in a Shoegaze style. That and Cold Feeling (totally different in style) are the albums I like most from them.

Thanks for sharing that article. Interesting read. Most of the bands I've heard of, though at the time, I didn't get a chance to track down some of their material. I remember hearing a Moose song on the radio - Uptown Invisible - thinking it was fantastic, but couldn't find their CD in the store back then.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Someone mentioned Curve above - half of which with his daughter became SPC Eco and have released shoegazy stuff (amongst going in other directions) over time:

It's also hardly surprising that the guy from Curve (Dean Garcia) and his daughter (Rose Berlin) can sound a lot like Curve did back in the day:

They're latest release was just 5 days ago on bandcamp:

https://spceco.bandcamp.com/album/take-the-world-all-for-the-best

But for those genre purists it probably qualifies as dreampop rather than shoegaze.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 8:27 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

R-2114775-1264844482.jpeg.jpg

R-1585260-1261137249.jpeg.jpg

R-824133-1162546923.jpeg.jpg

I came here to put in a vote for JPSE! Saw them a handful of times in Christchurch early '90s (at Warner's hotel, probably). Love love love! Especially Bleeding Star, holy stagedive Batman, what an intoxicating mix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I've heard much shoegaze before (Belle and Sebastian perhaps?) but I want to broaden my horizons, hence listening to a playlist of the genre on Tidal tonight. It's called 'Still in a Dream - A Story of Shoegaze 1988-1995'. I really like the slow grooves, but the lyrics can be too repetitive.

First band I have since looked up is Blow-Up. Their track 'Somersault Sunrise' is great.

Edit: Just saw this compilation mentioned earlier in the thread 👍

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Spooky, one of the singles off it - Nothing Natural - is also on the Black Spring EP. It sounds a little different from that on the album. Another track - Monochrome - is also on both. Apologies to vinyl lovers, I only have the CD, this is my scan from the CD cover.

Lush_BlackSpring.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2021 at 8:01 PM, metal beat said:

The Posies shoegaze?   sometimes, sometimes power pop, sometimes indie.

Burn and Shine - brilliant shoegaze.

I also wouldn't have put them in that shoe gaze box. In fact I got to hang out with them when they toured Aus (our bass player at the time played with them during his trip to the States) .

I'm not sure what box I'd put them in after meeting them that night. 

• Like 1