Half speed master vinyl issues

Hi all,

I’ve just received a brand new half speed remaster of Peter Gabriel’s us album PGLPR7 after much anticipation and delivered via the States - wasn’t cheap either!

Really disappointed with the quality of the sound! It appears that side 1 and 4 are simply poorly pressed? 

It’s damaged as well so it’s going back, but has anyone got experience where simply poor sides of a record exist? It’s a new one on me.

Yep......

The first new LP I bought in 30 years was Chris Issak audiophile 180g and it too had noise on the first track on 2 sides of a double LP.  Very disappointing and apparently common on new LP's. I don't buy new any more because of this.

It might still partially covered in the gunk they use to release the LP from the stamper.

Give the LP a good clean with a recommended LP cleaning fluid and see if it fixes the problem.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tweaky said:

It might still partially covered in the gunk they use to release the LP from the stamper.

Give the LP a good clean with a recommended LP cleaning fluid and see if it fixes the problem.

Good call, I hadn’t thought of that

7 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Often.

Also, half speed masters won't help the sound in general

That’s really interesting, thanks

On 18/02/2021 at 10:04 PM, candyflip said:

NOT always the best...

I was playing this very album just yesterday ( the half speed version) and commented that the vocals sounding veiled, or pushed back behind the music. I don’t have a comparison copy but it’s interesting I picked up that trait regardless. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, captain.j said:

I was playing this very album just yesterday ( the half speed version) and commented that the vocals sounding veiled, or pushed back behind the music. I don’t have a comparison copy but it’s interesting I picked up that trait regardless. 

And interesting that no matter what system it's played on, quite a few of us have similar notes.  ?

• Like 1

It's frustrating I know..but it's trial or error !

Ignore some of the pundits here and research more with your next buy !

My original copy is solid !

The new Bob Marley 1/2 speed Abby Road Remasters are great quality.  

That’s exactly what I’ve got here with the 2016 pressing John. Interestingly I’ve got other half speed masters that sound great. Just luck of the draw perhaps?

you think by now though given the relatively low volume of vinyl produced today, the quality control would be better I guess as a consumer we’ve just got to be more ruthless with not accepting it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, delh78 said:

That’s exactly what I’ve got here with the 2016 pressing John. Interestingly I’ve got other half speed masters that sound great. Just luck of the draw perhaps?

you think by now though given the relatively low volume of vinyl produced today, the quality control would be better I guess as a consumer we’ve just got to be more ruthless with not accepting it.

And TRY and listen to everything first, if you can, so you know what's coming.

Not easy.

• Like 1

I have the 45 rpm Half Speed remaster of Peter Gabriel's "So"......despite being quite warped on arrival, it does sound phenomenal. I got a full refund and kept the album. I play it occasionally when I'm game enough.....:P 

Will get it flattened one day.

• Like 2

Have Gabriel's So, Us and Passion on 45 1/2 speed and all sound brilliant. Yes, there is some marginal sibilance on So, however, it doesn't deter the enjoyment of these releases.

Red Rain in particular, around the  4 :10 mark, there is a dip of bottom end which sounds brilliant, of which I had never heard before until having better than average electronic devices that can retrieve these signals!  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

Have Gabriel's So, Us and Passion on 45 1/2 speed and all sound brilliant. Yes, there is some marginal sibilance on So, however, it doesn't deter the enjoyment of these releases.

Red Rain in particular, around the  4 :10 mark, there is a dip of bottom end which sounds brilliant, of which I had never heard before until having better than average electronic devices that can retrieve these signals!  

Sounds like to 45 is the way to go. They just annoy me with the frequency that you have to turn the record over.

Not even sure how much they would be at the moment , but I think the price is scary from when I was looking a few weeks ago...

• Like 1

Nice work Jon - I have an original uk pressing and the Sonics sound very similar to your 80s version.  IMO it’s simple minds best release.  If you’re after suggestions for another match-up how about a Jean Michel jarre classic - oxygene or equinox originals vs repressings or Pink Floyd the wall? 

• Like 1
On 22/02/2021 at 5:02 PM, delh78 said:

Sounds like to 45 is the way to go. They just annoy me with the frequency that you have to turn the record over.

Not even sure how much they would be at the moment , but I think the price is scary from when I was looking a few weeks ago...

If you have the $$ - the original Classic records reissues are the best most coherent sounding imo.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, wadiman said:

Nice work Jon - I have an original uk pressing and the Sonics sound very similar to your 80s version.  IMO it’s simple minds best release.  If you’re after suggestions for another match-up how about a Jean Michel jarre classic - oxygene or equinox originals vs repressings or Pink Floyd the wall? 

Reading my mind, mate!
Both on the bench to be done very shortly.  ✔️

• Like 1

I brought some Queen LPs that are the half speed mastering ................because Brian May insisted on it at Abbey Road .............but I was disappointed in them, they lost their "power" to me - I actually preferred the remastered CDs from 2011 by comparison as they are much more lively. Shall be interesting to see how they sound once I have completed my Audio Upgrade....................and spin them again. 

There is a great podcast I listed to called "The Vinyl Guide" and there is an interview on there with Bernie Grundman about half speed mastering and he is not a fan of it and explains why..........it is a great Poddy to listen to.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d add a bit to this.

my original copy of above album was actually damaged on arrival so I sent it back. I got the new copy today which arrived in one piece and without I assume being dropped which is always a good start.

is the quality any better? Of course not.

what I find interesting though, if not somewhat frustrating is side 3 is absolutely fabulous - exactly what I would have expected from the vinyl pressing. Side 4? Exactly the same as sides 1 and 2....

im really thinking I might just as well send it back for a refund to be honest. The Spotify mp3 sounds better.

Rant over

• Like 1

I only have a handful of half-speed mastering releases, I must be lucky that all of them sound fantastic and i can wholeheartedly recommend them. Pressings are all flat & quiet, perfect in every way!

1. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky 2007 Nonesuch

2. John Martyn - Solid Air 2016 Abbey Road

3. INXS - Kick 2018 Abbey Road

4. Everything But The Girl - Amplified Heart 2019

5. Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded 2019

6. Smog - Knock Knock 2019

7. Everything But The Girl - Temperamental 2020

John Martyn - Solid Air 2016 Abbey Road

(Avatar duly noted)

I especially agree with your thoughts on this one @MoveD. I have got the original Australian pressing as well, which is quite good, but this particular half-speed just seems to effortlessly "breathe" in a way that very few albums manage. It's probably dangerous to generalise on this topic though. Due to an almost endless variety of factors inherent in the production of vinyl discs, the results are always going to vary from excellent to severely lacking, from the sublime to the cor blimey!

Edited by Bisguittin
  • Like 1

I’m collecting vinyl again and also heard of many poor experiences with re-releases of old albums. 

for this reason, I seek out original release stuff in mint/ex+ condition. 

im also considering an RCM though.