XLR VS RCA

zonx

Hi guys I’d like a bit of advice if possible regarding cables to finish off my system. Currently I have the Elektra Pnyx preamp and the Elektra HD Reference power amp which I bought last year new. I also have the Matrix X Sabre Pro MQA Dac running from my PC with Audirvana and Tidal etc and also an old Rotel RCD 1520. Speakers are Osborn Epitome tower Elite speakers. I did have the whole system hooked up with Osborn silverlink rca and Xlr cables and Osborn Datalink bi wire cable. A few months ago I replaced the Osborn cables with ViaBlue cables and have noticed an improvement with the sound. I am one cable short and was thinking of getting another ViaBlue Xlr or Rca cable to connect the preamp to the power amp. I was told it’s better with Rca even though the Elektra setup is fully balanced. Currently am using the Osborn silverlink rca to connect the preamp to the power amp. I’m thinking of getting an Xlr but not sure. 

1 hour ago, zonx said:

I was told it’s better with Rca even though the Elektra setup is fully balanced. 

By whom?

I would suggest using the XLR cable pair if both Elektra ends are fully balanced. Otherwise, stick with RCA if the XLR in/out are floating even if it's just one end.

• Like 3

If you go to a Hi-Fi store and ask them you should be able to put both on your credit card and then return the one you don’t like.  I have done that before.  Only problem is sometimes they may not have the same cable in the same length with both connection types.

48 minutes ago, zonx said:

Hi Joz that’s what I have been doing as well and sounds terrific. I’ll give the RCA a go just to see because that’s what they are recommending.

The only thing I can probably add is that any differences may be simply attributed to different wire.

Like comparing two different RCAs.

Hey Jonx i bought a March Audio power amp last year and it came with 75 cm Mogami RCA to XLR leads which i thought would be too short for my setup.

So i tried some Mogami RCA to RCA leads with 6.5 mm jack converters because thats the inputs you have for March Audios,either 6.5 mm jack or XLR.

Anyways switched everything around and tried the RCA(preamp) to XLR(power amp) leads and it was quite a noticeable improvment.