Rega Planar 3 - Cartridge suggestions?

So,  I am thinking about pulling the plug on a Planar 3, but have read some very middling reviews of the Elys 2 Cart that (can) come factory fitted. I'm also led to believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that the Rega isn't great for installing non-Rega carts and requires spacers. 

If the above is true, can anyone recommend a decent non-Rega cart that would suit the Planar? I've in the past been seduced by ortofon, and while I've found them good (Especially the 2m Blue), I don't have much to compare with

Any thoughts appreciated

Al

Ortofon is great match to rega however you will need a spacer 2mm to 4mm. 

Another one is dynavector which I also have good result with the rega. Hana also nice cart which i had long time ago.

You will find that most non rega cart will need a spacer.

Also there is article published by Roy Gandy (rega founder) that the minor difference on VTA won't matter...hence no spacer would be required....but I won't comment on that as many ppl will disagree. I used 4mm spacer for both dynavector and ortofon as my rega came with them when I bought them. You will be the best to make the call.

Thanks for the response. Interestingly I had a chat with one of the more reputable hi-fi dealers in melbourne and they said that even in store, some staff members insist on spacers when using Ortofon carts, but the fellow I spoke with was ith Roy Gandy and said they weren't necessary. 

I think for now I'll go the blue and possibly upgrade to a Bronze when I can afford it

If funds allow, just my opinion, go the bronze, of which you can update to the black, reason being, all you would have to do is  purchase just the stylus (needle) as the bronze is interchangeable with the black (body). I didn't have a spacer with the bronze, however staff at Carlton Audio  Visual stated need 2mm spacer for black.  They (CAV) set it up for me. 

Great cart. (I have an RP3).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

If funds allow, just my opinion, go the bronze, of which you can update to the black, reason being, all you would have to do is  purchase just the stylus (needle) as the bronze is interchangeable with the black (body). I didn't have a spacer with the bronze, however staff at Carlton Audio  Visual stated need 2mm spacer for black.  They (CAV) set it up for me. 

Great cart. (I have an RP3).

I'd love to go the Bronze and I will shake the piggy bank to see if there's enough there for it.... if not, I am going to have to stick with the Blue for now. 

Thanks for the reply., It's nice to have an RP3 user give their feedback 

• Like 2

I currently usea Garrott Brothers p77i on my Rega P3 and have enjoyed this cartidge.  I originally installed with no spacers and it sounded great, however I recently popped in a 4mm spacer in anticipation of a future cartridge upgrade and imo this improved things a little- more top end clarity.  I have had a Ortofon Blue on a previous TT and this was good, however I would also vouch for the Bronze if the funds allow

I have a 2M Bronze on my P3, which I got after hearing it at Carlton Audio after auditioning new amps. Liked it so much I had to get one. I previously had Denon DL-110,  which is good but Bronze is better and has replaceable stylus and can be upgraded to Black.

I do use a 3mm spacer as the carts are taller than standard Rega carts.

You could also consider AT-VM95ML or LP Gear The Vessel A3SV, I have both and they are almost as good as the Bronze but in same price bracket as the 2M Blue, but IMO are better than the Blue.

I recently purchased an RP40 (essentially a hotted up RP3 or Rega 3) with the express aim of changing out the Rega MM cart on it pretty quickly. I've also used an older RB300 arm on a table previously (not a Rega, I'll admit) and got great results with Dynavector and Goldring MC carts for about $1500ea. I know the arm is very under-rated and yes, the Rega plinth, etc could limit its potential but the arm and a nice cart should do very well and can easily be swapped over to a new base at some stage down the track as finances permit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I pulled the trigger and bought the RP3 and put my existing 2M Blue on it. It's good. Really good, and a definite step up from my Debut Carbon. I feel though that I'm at the lower end of the ladder and a better cartridge (obviously...) is going to start to get the best out of the table. 

When I can afford, I'll look at either the Bronze of something like the Sumiko Moonstone

Cheers

Al

• Like 5

On 06/03/2021 at 8:42 AM, shailesh said:

If funds allow look at the better Sumikos like the bps or blackbird.... have had positive experiences with sumiko, garrott and dyna on Rega...  each was good in their own way...

I've had my eye on the Moonstone tbh. I like my 2M blue, it's great and I think that ortofon make great carts, but sometimes they feel a little omnipotent. maybe that's a mark of their quality or good marketing. Who knows. 

• 3 weeks later...

So an update on this....

I've been living with the 2M Blue on my Planar 3 for a couple of weeks and it's good. 

But....

As I've read elsewhere, the 2M blue is on the brighter side of things and there are times I feel like I'm listening to a CD (again, a comment that i've heard mentioned about some Ortofon carts). The bass is there, but it's certainly not prominent and I feel like a) I'm not getting the best out of this table with this cart and b) it's lacking that 'vinyl sound'

I understand that the 2M is a well respected and popular cart, but for my ears it's a quick fling and won't be putting a ring on it 

Al

I’d highly recommend checking out a Sumiko cart...they’re lovely and pair well with a Rega (as noted earlier in the thread). I love the Amethyst in their MM range, but the Olympia is also decent.

A left field suggestion if haven’t tried and you want to take out a little brightness is to square your speakers a little i.e reduce the toe-in. High frequencies tend to be very directional so reducing toe-in can send some of the high end past your ears as opposed to at them.

7 hours ago, RNWau said:

I’d highly recommend checking out a Sumiko cart...they’re lovely and pair well with a Rega (as noted earlier in the thread). I love the Amethyst in their MM range, but the Olympia is also decent.

A left field suggestion if haven’t tried and you want to take out a little brightness is to square your speakers a little i.e reduce the toe-in. High frequencies tend to be very directional so reducing toe-in can send some of the high end past your ears as opposed to at them.

Hey mate, interestingly (or not), I've been looking into the Sumiko's and the olympia gets good press. According to one review, it was the best pound for pound performer out of the range (though not necessarily the best)

Given that I've discovered my speakers are naturally bright (Denton 85s), the 2M was never going to be a good fit. 

The Olympia is in my budget so will give it a pop

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

Was just going to say, I went from a Rega Fono Mini A2D to a Project Tube Box S2 which I think toned down my Audio Technica cart quite a bit. I also got a Van Den Hul IC which made a 'tiny' difference but every bit helps. The Sumiko carts are on my radar too as I'm after a warm relaxing system ;) 

5 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Ahh ok. Do you think the speakers are a little on the bright side of neutral with other sources? Say cd?

Yup, with other sources they're on the brighter side of things, but the 2m tips them into Mr Brightside territory