Hifi enthusiast on student money - CD PLAYER PLEASE

Hello there, and welcome to the forum!

Best time to buy a CD player - especially if you are open to buying used. Lots of good deals on used CD players, since people are moving away from CDs and more into streaming. Check out the classifieds sections.

On a side note, since you have the topping DAC, how about ripping all your CDs and playing digital from PC/laptop to your DAC. Will save the cost of a CD player

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Hello there, and welcome to the forum!

Best time to buy a CD player - especially if you are open to buying used. Lots of good deals on used CD players, since people are moving away from CDs and more into streaming. Check out the classifieds sections.

On a side note, since you have the topping DAC, how about ripping all your CDs and playing digital from PC/laptop to your DAC. Will save the cost of a CD player

Hey! 

Already ripped my entire collection using dbpoweramp! Sounds great through DAC/amp combo! 

I've been looking at streaming - still learning how to properly configure a raspi using Plex. 

Also just keen to hear what a decent low-mid cd player can offer, even if it's PureDirect through a DAC system. 

Definitely gonna look at the classifieds. Got a bit of cash thanks to Jobkeeper 

8 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Ther is a good Consonance on Ebay for $500

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Consonance-C-120-Linear-Hi-end-CD-Player/114685589197?hash=item1ab3cb36cd:g:xVMAAOSwta1gKjeh

What's good about this player? 

All I know about CD players is that a BB 32-bit is desirable and usually the disc-tray quality is usually indicative of the interior wiring!

4 minutes ago, willy_willy_willy said:

Hey! 

Already ripped my entire collection using dbpoweramp! Sounds great through DAC/amp combo! 

I've been looking at streaming - still learning how to properly configure a raspi using Plex. 

Also just keen to hear what a decent low-mid cd player can offer, even if it's PureDirect through a DAC system. 

Definitely gonna look at the classifieds. Got a bit of cash thanks to Jobkeeper 

Keep a lookout for the Rega Apollo CD player (older model). They come up for sale once in a while, and are quite musical. Otherwise, there are good entry/mid level players from the likes of Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio etc. Buying used will get you best bang for your buck

• Love 1

1 minute ago, willy_willy_willy said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Consonance-C-120-Linear-Hi-end-CD-Player/114685589197?hash=item1ab3cb36cd:g:xVMAAOSwta1gKjeh

What's good about this player? 

All I know about CD players is that a BB 32-bit is desirable and usually the disc-tray quality is usually indicative of the interior wiring!

I love Consonance products - they are cheap and under the radar in Australia.

Several members here including myself have their products.

I have heard the CD players, but do not own any. My view is that everything they make is good for the price.

@Cafad still have a cd player as far as I know so he can give more info, but the bottom line for me is $500 is a good price for the one on ebay ( others may differ?)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Keep a lookout for the Rega Apollo CD player (older model). They come up for sale once in a while, and are quite musical. Otherwise, there are good entry/mid level players from the likes of Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio etc. Buying used will get you best bang for your buck

Keeping an eye out! The rega is actually my favourite! Had a listen but it's a bit exey at 1k. $750-$800 is top dollar for me. 

Cheers for recos!

1 minute ago, Jventer said:

I have heard the CD players, but do not own any. My view is that everything they make is good for the price.

@Cafad still have a cd player as far as I know so he can give more info, but the bottom line for me is $500 is a good price for the one on ebay ( others may differ?)

Happy to go $500 if it's at a similar or better level as the new entry-level Marantz players. (I still don't know the difference between new players and ones made in the 90s) 

Generally like the build quality / musicality of Marantz so might give this one a go with more info! 

@Cafad What's your take? 

6 minutes ago, Jventer said:

+1 to that. Extremely underrated brand here in Australia. 

For the OP - here is some discussion about this CD player

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

+1 to that. Extremely underrated brand here in Australia. 

For the OP - here is some discussion about this CD player

I don't listen to classical but rather love the layering of pop/rock music (hence why CD format works so well). Seems like the low resolution won't be too much of an issue so this is very tempting! Build quality looks great for $500 too! 

Never heard of this brand but I'm seriously tempted wow. Time to look at the classifieds if there's a similar hidden gem

7 minutes ago, willy_willy_willy said:

I don't listen to classical but rather love the layering of pop/rock music (hence why CD format works so well). Seems like the low resolution won't be too much of an issue so this is very tempting! Build quality looks great for $500 too! 

Never heard of this brand but I'm seriously tempted wow. Time to look at the classifieds if there's a similar hidden gem

Trust me - nothing at the moment in classifieds on SNA. ( The last few ones all had issues)

I do not check out Ebay all the time, but this Consonance player was highlighted here  as a good buy on Ebay.

Anyway

Take your time, do your research and above else buy used - best bang for buck

• Love 1

Callifornia Audio Labs CAL-15 from the 90s is hard to beat and should be well in your budget.

Dual mono construction from the mains transformers right through the electronics, a bit big and heavy, but, and it is a big but, the SQ is fantastic. It also has digital IN so you don't really need a DAC.

98cal.jpg.cacea31b13eed59868b99bfff6d3a985.jpg

• Like 1

For Pop and rock you would be better off chasing a regular cd-120, the linear is a better player for slower, less complex music (vocals and one or two instruments for example) but it just isn't in the same league as the regular cd-120 (more impact, more bass, more energy on the faster and harder instruments) when 3 or more instruments are in use.

It is a good buy in general for $500, but it might not have the sonic signature that you are after.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cafad said:

For Pop and rock you would be better off chasing a regular cd-120, the linear is a better player for slower, less complex music (vocals and one or two instruments for example) but it just isn't in the same league as the regular cd-120 (more impact, more bass, more energy on the faster and harder instruments) when 3 or more instruments are in use.

It is a good buy in general for $500, but it might not have the sonic signature that you are after.

Thanks mate

You are a legend!

39 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

YEP, would have to agree with this recommendation.

Pretty much any Marantz CD player from this era are a good buy, reason being they had very good transport sections.

The TDA1541 DAC chip gives a very smooth replay.

Remotes for the unit above shouldn't be that hard to find.

The ultimate in the Marantz range from this era is the CD94, which even the Mk1 version would set you back used at least $800-1000, the Mk2 version has two of the TDA1541 DAC chips and is considered even better, both have the best transports of pretty much any single box CD player ever made.

Although sounding great as they are, both are well know to be excellent for modding

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jventer said:

Trust me - nothing at the moment in classifieds on SNA. ( The last few ones all had issues)

I do not check out Ebay all the time, but this Consonance player was highlighted here  as a good buy on Ebay.

Anyway

Take your time, do your research and above else buy used - best bang for buck

Thanks for the welcome and advice! Great start on the forums 

6 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

YEP, would have to agree with this recommendation.

Pretty much any Marantz CD player from this era are a good buy, reason being they had very good transport sections.

The TDA1541 DAC chip gives a very smooth replay.

Remotes for the unit above shouldn't be that hard to find.

The ultimate in the Marantz range from this era is the CD94, which even the Mk1 version would set you back used at least $800-1000, the Mk2 version has two of the TDA1541 DAC chips and is considered even better, both have the best transports of pretty much any single box CD player ever made.

Although sounding great as they are, both are well know to be excellent for modding

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

Best help ever. Can't believe I spent days researching in circles by myself when there's bespoke community advice here! 

Definitely gonna be looking out for Marantz or Rega players second hand now. Especially that 90s Marantz information is amazing. Delicious insight 

6 minutes ago, willy_willy_willy said:

Best help ever. Can't believe I spent days researching in circles by myself when there's bespoke community advice here! 

Definitely gonna be looking out for Marantz or Rega players second hand now. Especially that 90s Marantz information is amazing. Delicious insight 

A little tip when looking for a particular used CD player, or any other piece of used equipment for that matter.

Type in the name and model number of the unit you are looking for in Google, followed by For Sale.

This should bring up a link to HIFI Shark, which compiles all known units currently listed for sale on Ebay or Yahoo auctions in Japan.

This will give you a rough idea of the prices being asked for that particular unit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I use a $30 DVD writer connected to my PC and output from my PC to the DAC.

Hi

I wanted to say this too, as I am doing same to rip CD's, but maybe this is not the same as playing cd's.

Maybe not fair from me as well as I use a multi thousand  $ cd/sacd player.

11 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I wanted to say this too, as I am doing same to rip CD's, but maybe this is not the same as playing cd's.

No, I really just play it when I want to play someone else's CD and not rip them, and I sold my expensive CD transport.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jventer said:

Hi

53 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I use a $30 DVD writer connected to my PC and output from my PC to the DAC.

I've got a bluray writer in my pc that does a great job ripping that is then outputted to the DAC. 
I've had a crack at my own streaming using raspi but I'm hoping that I'll get a more natural-sounding result through a CD player. Can admit that I find digital audio "signature" and quality etc a bit confusing compared to traditional analogue!