Semi Auto Turntable Reccomendations

Why oh why are 90% of current new turnatbles fully manual.  I know all the mumbo jumbo about return mechanism noise etc, but surely in this age that is not an issue.  I mean if we can put a man on the moon, surely we can stop a spining record when it reaches the runout track.  

I have a manual Pro-ject TT, and it drives me nuts.  I keep forgetting to shut it off.  I often put LP on as background to whatever I am doing, and sometimes I forget to pickup and turn off.  Come back days later and it's still going on the run out track.  I'm sure the stylus loves that.

Looking for reccomendation around the 1-1.5k mark.  Can't seem to find much.  Must have an attached lid. So denon DP-450 is out.

Really only can find the Thorens TD402DD and Technics SL-1500C.  Is there anything else I should consider?  Fully auto is fine too, but i don't need it.  I can place the needle on myself for a few more years at least. lol.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, CameronAus said:

Why oh why are 90% of current new turnatbles fully manual.  I know all the mumbo jumbo about return mechanism noise etc, but surely in this age that is not an issue.

Purists would rather they re-direct the development costs and production costs into making it the best possible manual player.

A good full auto or auto stop mechanism is hard to do and few does it well in the 80s like denon, JVC and technics but if you're looking for new Thorens pretty much the one I know. I used to own Thorens td190-2 around 3-4 years ago. And that can compete with a debut carbon. But for that budget is get a used higher end Japanese 80s automatic turntable from Denon or victor

• Like 2

Hello

I hope that you don't mind input from a total noobie :)

Iv'e been looking for a nice auto TT also. Mostly because I don't want playing records to be solely reserved to the "responsible adults" in our household. I'd love to have the option for a bratty youngster or half-sober guest to select a record (from the "not-rare" section) and pop it on the platter and press play without me having to give them an hour long stern lecture first. Call me crazy.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone on here has had good experiences with any semi or fully autos and what they've done to get the most out of them

Cheers

13 hours ago, Jedski said:

Hello

I hope that you don't mind input from a total noobie :)

Iv'e been looking for a nice auto TT also. Mostly because I don't want playing records to be solely reserved to the "responsible adults" in our household. I'd love to have the option for a bratty youngster or half-sober guest to select a record (from the "not-rare" section) and pop it on the platter and press play without me having to give them an hour long stern lecture first. Call me crazy.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone on here has had good experiences with any semi or fully autos and what they've done to get the most out of them

Cheers

If you’re happy to go second hand there are many great options, predominantly from Japan. From the Technics linear decks (SL-7, SL-10), to a multitude of Denons, Victors, Kenwoods, Sonys, Pioneers and Yamahas, semi-auto was almost a given.

I currently have a fully auto Technics SL-10 and Sony PS-8750 and a semi-auto Denon DP-60. I’ve previously also owned Pioneer and Victor semi-autos. My principal learning has been that the inclusion or otherwise of auto functionality is largely irrelevant as a determiner of the quality of the deck. All of the ones I’ve owned have performed extremely well. These were the higher quality, if not their ultimate statement, decks from these brands and the engineering quality was clear. Mount a good quality cartridge and you would get good quality sound. Most were direct drive motors with excellent specs for wow and flutter, rumble and start-up torque, etc. The integrated tonearms could be a weak point but generally these were also good quality though not upgradable without losing auto functionality in many cases. 

I can’t say I’ve been disappointed with any of the auto or semi-autos I’ve owned. If I wanted to pick one for ultimate ease of use (perfect for kids, half sober adults and combinations of the two) it would be the Technics SL-7 or SL-10. With a quality p-mount cartridge (ideally at least a 310MC) the sound is excellent and playing a record is as simple as placing the record on the platter, closing the lid and pressing “start”. And for a neat party trick, the SL-10 can play in the vertical position!

Below are some pics of my current autos and semi auto:

Sony PS-8750 full-auto:

PS8750.jpeg.b97bc19ab8e93c15ca8de0b608748ea0.jpeg

Denon DP-60 semi-auto:

DP-60.jpeg.22307a6c3e165681377a8cb999b0c9e3.jpeg

Technics SL-10 full-auto doing its party trick:

SL-10.jpeg.3a7b9eec3537bbc810653f9e3a9612a1.jpeg

Feel free to pm me if you want any mire information.

Edited by Doppelganger
  • Like 4

The argument against automatic lift off is that it causes extra mechanical drag on other parts underneath the tonearm mechanism. However in the better machines his isn’t the case. For example Thorens older machines like TD320 used a solenoid driven lifter release triggered optically. Better quality Technics and Pioneers have a small lug that triggered auto return only when it engaged with another unattached arm at the end of record to trigger the lifting gear. So not really a problem. On the modern “budget” machines it is probably a matter of cost. In the higher end machines it’s about tonearm change ability I am guessing. I do wish auto return would make a comeback. But will never be for my machine the SP10mk2. 

• Like 1

Wow that Sony TT is pretty.  The Denon whilst good were never easy on the eyes

Can't see what the problem is. If Auto is your gig, go for it.

Surely you can pick up something in second hand. Also, Dual make a good table.

If that don't work, go Spotify if your not seriously listening at the time.

Edited by Wimbo