Jump to content

Need Advise - Budget Friendly Speakers


Recommended Posts

Hi All, 

 

I just purchased, I guess a budget AV Receiver RX-V4A and need advise on budget friendly speakers.

 

The aim is to have a complete 5.2 system; but for now I would like to get the front 2 speakers (and if possible the centre speaker)

 

Budget: between $600 to $800 (hoping to get the centre speaker too if possible)

Use: watch TV / listening to music while doing chores; nothing too serious and not looking for audiophile kind of quality

Looking for: good speakers for general use such as watching TV / listening to music while doing chores, not looking for audiophile kind of quality BUT would like to get speakers that are better than the Yamaha NS-50F that we used to have

 

2nd hand market is probably where I should be looking at (given my budget) and I actually found Watmough speakers set for decent price and definitely within my budget however it does not look like the RX-V4A is powerful enough to drive them? The Watmough that I am looking at are the M30 and M10 which rated 4 ohm; while the receiver minimum ohm I believe is 6 ohm). I am just wondering if these Watmough set is definitely a no go? 

 

Is there any other speakers out there that you can recommend?

 

Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, caru said:

2nd hand market is probably where I should be looking at (given my budget) and I actually found Watmough speakers set for decent price and definitely within my budget however it does not look like the RX-V4A is powerful enough to drive them? The Watmough that I am looking at are the M30 and M10 which rated 4 ohm; while the receiver minimum ohm I believe is 6 ohm). I am just wondering if these Watmough set is definitely a no go? 

Yeah... probably safer to avoid the Whatmough 4 Ohm situation - there is a significant probability that your receiver would not be able to handle those specs.

(Had this issue myself a while back trying to run some 4 Ohm Krix speakers via a budget receiver.  Would run fine for a little while and then go into safety shutdown mode as the load was too much...)

You should have no problem finding a great set of second hand speakers in your price range.

 

Gumtree can be a good place to look - as many are downsizing these days.  The only problem is that the crap brands can be similarly priced to the nicer ones!  I would suggest posting a link on here to anything that catches your eye, and no doubt someone will be able to let you know if they've heard them.

The classifieds on here are an amazing resource, so I'd encourage you to keep your eye out - something wonderful in your price range will certainly come up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Al.M said:

There’s lots to choose from and here is a shortlist new or used https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/287992-sna-speakers-audition-short-list/

 

 

Thanks - I will go through the list!

 

15 hours ago, DrTobiasFunke said:

Yeah... probably safer to avoid the Whatmough 4 Ohm situation - there is a significant probability that your receiver would not be able to handle those specs.

(Had this issue myself a while back trying to run some 4 Ohm Krix speakers via a budget receiver.  Would run fine for a little while and then go into safety shutdown mode as the load was too much...)

You should have no problem finding a great set of second hand speakers in your price range.

 

Gumtree can be a good place to look - as many are downsizing these days.  The only problem is that the crap brands can be similarly priced to the nicer ones!  I would suggest posting a link on here to anything that catches your eye, and no doubt someone will be able to let you know if they've heard them.

The classifieds on here are an amazing resource, so I'd encourage you to keep your eye out - something wonderful in your price range will certainly come up.

Will do - I actually saw an ad for Dali Concept 6 (complete set) for $250; and its gone within 5 minutes - I guess that was a really good deal!

Re: pairing 4 ohm to 6 ohm receiver; would it be still risky if I only use it for daily use? Like I wont be turning up the volume crazily; We will be just watching Netflix etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 options as other have mentioned here.  This would be a good starting point within the current budget - https://www.selby.com.au/brands/polk/polk-tl1600-tl1700-5-1-satellite-speaker-pack-configurable.html

With this, you can be assured that the amp can safely drive these.  

 

Wait until some speakers come up for sale on the classifieds, but heck...its a waiting game..and can be a long one too.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caru said:

Re: pairing 4 ohm to 6 ohm receiver; would it be still risky if I only use it for daily use? Like I wont be turning up the volume crazily; We will be just watching Netflix etc.

Impossible to say, really, until you plug them in and try them out.

As I said: the risk is that a budget AV amplifier won't have quite enough juice.

But it's also possible that they'll play together without an issue....

If you like to live life on the edge - then go for it!! ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrTobiasFunke said:

Impossible to say, really, until you plug them in and try them out.

As I said: the risk is that a budget AV amplifier won't have quite enough juice.

But it's also possible that they'll play together without an issue....

If you like to live life on the edge - then go for it!! ?

 

Its not a matter of juice rather a case of clipping the amp with running it loud and risk damaging either the amp or speakers or both!  @caru i'd recommend taking small steps, getting a 5.1 satellite system and using it with your RX-V4A.  Satellites will fit into your mentioned budget as well.  Down the track with additional funds permitting, you can upgrade your amp, speakers etc.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

Its not a matter of juice rather a case of clipping the amp with running it loud and risk damaging either the amp or speakers or both! 

Huh?

Wouldn't the amp be clipping because it doesn't have the ability to supply the necessary current required to drive a 4 Ohm load?

(I.e. it lacks the 'juice' to provide the power / current needed.)

I'm pretty sure it is a matter of 'juice'!

A 4 Ohm speaker load requires significantly more current from the receiver to produce sound.  Some amps will be able to hack it, and some won't.  

 

AV receivers have pretty sophisticated protection circuits built in (even entry level models).  One of the things that will trip  a protection circuit is too much current flow for the unit to handle safely.  Once too much current is detected, it will automatically power down to protect itself and the speakers.   

Usually, the protection circuit in the receiver will trip before it clips.

So I think there is very little chance that the above mentioned receiver would clip while trying to power the Whatmough speakers mentioned.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DrTobiasFunke said:

Huh?

Wouldn't the amp be clipping because it doesn't have the ability to supply the necessary current required to drive a 4 Ohm load?

(I.e. it lacks the 'juice' to provide the power / current needed.)

I'm pretty sure it is a matter of 'juice'!

A 4 Ohm speaker load requires significantly more current from the receiver to produce sound.  Some amps will be able to hack it, and some won't.  

 

AV receivers have pretty sophisticated protection circuits built in (even entry level models).  One of the things that will trip  a protection circuit is too much current flow for the unit to handle safely.  Once too much current is detected, it will automatically power down to protect itself and the speakers.   

Usually, the protection circuit in the receiver will trip before it clips.

So I think there is very little chance that the above mentioned receiver would clip while trying to power the Whatmough speakers mentioned.  

 

One of me mates had his Whatmough M30 speakers fried when his Yamaha Aventage mid range AVR went into protection after he played music loud. AVR  still turned on when restarted but both tweeters and one of the mid woofers on the M30 were dead after that.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All -

 

Thanks for the feedback so far. Found a few interesting speakers - which I think are highly rated on FB and Gumtree. They are

 

1. Wharfedale Sapphire SP-89 ($175)

2. Whatmough Magnum M30 ($380 - negotiable) --> this one is rated at 6 ohm (different from the previous one I found although they are the same model?)

 

Any suggestion? Preference wise; I am not into bass that much; rather I would like to get clear / crisp sound.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, caru said:

Hi All -

 

 

 

Any suggestion? Preference wise; I am not into bass that much; rather I would like to get clear / crisp sound.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

If you find the right ones you'll get both. I just scored a set of Canton Karats for $400. They play full bass down to 22Hz and have crystal clean mids and highs.

And I sold a perfect set of Richter Dragon Mk11 for $450

You just have to be patient. Gumtree and Marketplace are you friend in this case

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks; I think I managed to narrow them down to two

 

1. Whatmough Audiolab M30 (6ohm)

2. Sonique 5.5 SE (6ohm)

 

The Sonique is more expensive; but I guess its fine as I am not looking to upgrade once this setup is done!

 

Between the 2; which one would you all suggest?

 

Thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...