Roon and USB interfaces for Multiway active speaker

I was wondering if there were any SNA members using Roon as a source (PC USB), running active DIY speakers using a multichannel USB dac OR USB interface to handle software based crossovers.

For my application I am considering using either a pro USB interface (Focusrite -Scarlett / Clarett) which allows for an excellent range of connectivity and routing, or a multi channel USB DAC (Okto Dac8 pro) to create a flexible 3/4 way active speaker solution. Obviously each solution has its pros and cons. 

Signal chain would be, something like this:  

Roon PC/Endpoint(USB)>Multiway USB dac>Software crossover>Multiway USB dac output > Amplifier(s) > Speakers 

Ultimately my goal is to utilise Roon's EQ capability (Convolution/Procedural) to create DSP crossovers and correction.

My understanding is Roon can handle 8 channels, as seen in the Procedural EQ section of the software.  

However, depending on experience/feedback gained here, this goal is subject to change. ?

I have a decent grasp of DSP based crossovers, like minidsp, Symetrix, Qsys, Powersoft.

I have used microphones to measure room response, and have had exposure and access to Smaart (Rational Acoustics) measurement software. 

.......But, I have never used Roon to implement a multi channel crossover, via a USB multichannel DAC or Interface.  

I have played with Ekio, which seemed quite straight forward, but using Roon to achieve a similar result seems a little more complicated. 

I had my fingers crossed that there may be some SNA members who have done what I am looking to do. 

One big question I have is, how is a Roon end point USB signal is routed (within Roon/or a third party software environment) to enable individual equalisation channels for HF, MF, LF >> outputs. 

I.e. Does Roon need third party software to host the routing/DSP? or is it all handled in the convolution filter? 

Having decent experience with pro gear, these types of DSP solutions allow full internal routing control. However looking through Roon, I cant find any ability to control USB signal routing to allow discrete application of DSP to channels.

Does this functionality exist? or is this simply done within the convolution filter imported into Roon? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Am about to embark on exactly the same thing. Roon forums seem to say it can be done in roon, volume control might be an issue it seems so a multichannel dac with volume might be a handy thing.  Will start playing around with it from next week so can report back then.

4 minutes ago, frednork said:

Ok, you got me worried so i had a little look. If you have your dac setup as 7.1 you can download the zip file in the link and it will route to 8 channels. looks like it will work ok

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsp-implementation/83124/5

Ok, so you need to create a convolution filter? This handles both the routing and filters. Is this your understanding? 

That means calculation of filters using either using REW, Rephase, Audiolense etc? 

Do you know if procedural EQ can be used with the Okto Dac8 pro, using a 3/4 way setup? 

I know this would work with a Pro Interface which provides routing control. 

Some more info; 

Via Convolution you need to create the EQ filters in Audiolense, or rephase or similar.

=: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/dsp-engine-convolution

Procedural Implementation:  

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/procedural-eq-mix-not-working-active-speakers/25558/2

It seems you need to ensure the channel layout is 7.1? in the player device settings, obviously this is an older Roon interface:

7a15f13ba5e93546abd085bba1e1ccdcab0c067b_2_469x500.png

Room 1.8: Procedural EQ has a mix function:

image.thumb.png.d9131a229b1704c8179b71ec6f921318.png

It seems you can then apply Eq to the correct channels.

image.thumb.png.fce903309d05ba1473622c10bcc12142.png

Just now, frednork said:

Not sure about the octo but can do with a Motu interface. Would assume if you can do one you can do the other

Agreed. 

Just posted some more info

I might opt for a Focusrite Clarett 88 pre.  

Are you currently using a Motu? 

What did you get? 

Just tried the multi channel eq, seems to work ok.

Re motu Yes, its the  ultralite mk3 hybrid.  They are cheap as chips and have lots of ins and outs and are shouldnt sound too bad. Would assume the octo sounds better but this is a good place to start. . 

Assuming you need 8 pre's otherwise for the same money you could get qn octo which it seems will sound better, not that I have heard it. 

26 minutes ago, frednork said:

Just tried the multi channel eq, seems to work ok.

Re motu Yes, its the  ultralite mk3 hybrid.  They are cheap as chips and have lots of ins and outs and are shouldnt sound too bad. Would assume the octo sounds better but this is a good place to start. . 

Assuming you need 8 pre's otherwise for the same money you could get qn octo which it seems will sound better, not that I have heard it. 

thanks 

I think the okto is 2200ish landed? 

• 2 months later...
On 16/02/2021 at 5:06 PM, Grizaudio said:

For my application I am considering using either a pro USB interface (Focusrite -Scarlett

I have a Focusrite USB interface I'll be listing for sale, if you're still looking.

10 channels analogue outputs and very good microphone input for doing the speaker/room measurements.

Still under 3 year Focusrite warranty, with original invoice.