How to stream HD content PC to Chromecast smoothly?

Hi all,

I currently have the current setup to stream video content from my PC:
1) Epson TW9300 Projector

2) Yamaha RX-V681 receiver
3) Chromecast Ultra (connected with LAN)
4) Average PC (Radeon HD 7800 series)
5) Asus RT-AC68U Modem/Router
6) Videostream (paid)
7) Minix U1 (but stopped using for a while now, little complicated)

Currently, even at 1080p, in certain format, it might sometimes be buffering excessively too (likely due to VS?)

Just wondering what I need to do to be able to stream 1080p (sometimes lag) & 2160p content smoothly?

Happy to add in more details if needed. TIA

Edited by R2Droid

Buffering / lagging is usually caused by slow network performance or an inability of the device doing the streaming to send the data fast enough.

What's your internet connection? The biggest culprit in buffering of streams from the internet will be congestion on your internet link. Have you ru na SpeedTest at various times to see what this performs like?

If it is local buffering, it could be poor wifi connectivity (if that's how you connect) or it will be your streaming server not keeping up.  

It may be worthwhile investing in a better wifi solution that gives you better signal coverage and perhaps a higher speed of connection.  If you're just using an ISP provided wifi access point you may be speed limited and only on the 2.4GHz spectrum which can easily get congested in metro areas.  Check out some wifi solutions from Netgear or even Google.

For local network streaming, I have gone the simple path with Plex. Plex Media Server can scan your local file repositories and lets you stream locally and to many endpoints simultaneously, optimising the stream for each endpoint.  It's been my go-to streaming app for over a decade now and there is still nothing better to replace it. 

Chromecast & Ultra are all connected through LAN, and on 50/20mbps speed . Speed generally has been good with Superloop. 

I have heard of good things about Plex, but don't feel like paying monthly fee for just a streaming service. Did pay for small lifetime fee for videostream 

Edited by R2Droid

We have a Chromecast  connected to the entertainment unit.

Got so sick of buffering, dropouts that l put a old I5 there instead.

Problem solved.

We have a bandwidth problem with the children.

regards Bruce

32 minutes ago, sloper said:

We have a Chromecast  connected to the entertainment unit.

Got so sick of buffering, dropouts that l put a old I5 there instead.

Problem solved.

We have a bandwidth problem with the children.

regards Bruce

I don't quite get how this work? You need the chromcast connected to ent unit to able to project onto screen right? 

Guest rmpfyf

If you're connected Ethernet through 50/20 and the WAN is reliable, you could only have a routing issue within the home.

We have 2x Chromecast Ultras and 2x Chromecast olskools. The Ultras are both hardwired. Zero lag at 4K. No QoS tuning for media. 

They're nice bits 'o kit.