Phono stages - returning to the dark side (maybe)

Yesterday, my considerations and deliberations about whether to add some dark side to my system culminated in me picking this up from @Brett 10 (thank you good sir).

rp40.jpg.af45aa92ffa9aae469b40b32ff8c95c9.jpg

I figured it a good foundation for getting back into vinyl after 17 years of digital given its good arm and somewhat respectable MM Rega cart. Plus, it works with the visual theme started with my Cyrus gear. I've not had it for 24hrs and the list of mods I have planned is growing (my poor wallet!).

Before I get to those though, I need a phono stage to run into one of my AUX inputs. Something good but not especially expensive. After all, I'm looking at this as a trial to begin with. If it doesn't work for any reason, I'll forget the mods and perhaps, cash up the new RP40.

So, there are obviously many inexpensive phone stages available through a number of places and many review pretty well. Of the options below $500 (or even less), is there a stand-out performer which will get me up and running and even be worth keeping as/if my TT upgrades happen? I would like MM and MC because if this sticks, one of the first upgrades will be a dedicated stand and nice MC cart (maybe an Ortofon, Dynavector or Audio Technica at this stage).

I know there are offerings from Project, Graham Slee, Rega, and valve products from eBay, etc, etc. My last go at this was with a Rega RB300/Dynavector cart/Musical Fidelity Preamp with integrated MM/MC stage.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Edited by Winno

12 minutes ago, Winno said:

get me up and running

Don't forget the super cheap $60 Digitech one from Jaycar.   I promise you it produces a good sound, and at the price you can keep it as a spare when you upgrade.

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 1

I started the same journey back in Aug last year.....good luck.

The Creek Audio OBH-15 Mk2 Moving Magnet/Moving Coil Phono is a ripper and you should be able to get a good second hand one for sub $500-.

All the best - have fun

Thanks everyone.

So I'm on the right track then so will look to grab something pretty promptly.

Re the Graham Slee models, it appear they're MM or MC and no longer offer a product which has a switch to cater for both.

And re Cyrus, I would love one but they're $$$$.

3 hours ago, Winno said:

Thanks everyone.

So I'm on the right track then so will look to grab something pretty promptly.

Re the Graham Slee models, it appear they're MM or MC and no longer offer a product which has a switch to cater for both.

And re Cyrus, I would love one but they're $$$$.

@Winno If you're open minded - a Parks Puffin DSP phono.  Use its ADC and output via SPDIF into your dac of choice. Couldnt be happier with mine.  Even has tube 2H function to mimic tube distortions if you so please.  Can adjust gain settings from 36 to 72db.. tilt and air functions to alter the tone of your cart should you wish to.  De-rumble function, Last but the best function IMO, is the 'magic' function to minimise pops and clicks during playback...and yes it does work! :) There's an MC mode, but i find it quite limited, so i just use an MC step up for my Lyra delos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

If you're open minded - a Parks Puffin DSP phono. 

+1 if you pick one up in Classifieds - less expensive without digital output option.  Shannon Parks very easy to deal with and does annual functionality upgrades via software.  Use mine for MM down to LO MC, and sounds great.  Tweaking ability an added benefit.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MrBurns84 said:

@Winno If you're open minded - a Parks Puffin DSP phono.  Use its ADC and output via SPDIF into your dac of choice. Couldnt be happier with mine.  

How did you buy the Parks puffin phono here in Australia? Was it a direct purchase from their US web-site?

Apologies to the OP for going a bit off topic. 

4 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

How did you buy the Parks puffin phono here in Australia? Was it a direct purchase from their US web-site?

Apologies to the OP for going a bit off topic. 

@anandpkumar no..ordered directly from the US.  Dependant upon stock levels too as at the point in time i ordered one, i had to wait 2 weeks for Mr Parks to build one.  Plus ordering from the US can be a bit of a hit and miss with the gst too.  I have 2 units, 1 unmodded and one modded.  The latter one got stung by duties although it was minimal.. :( 

On a more relevant note, this phonostage has sent off a few others that i had compared to in my rig - Fieckert woodpecker 2 - Stogi S12 arm - Lyra Delos - MC SUT (hashimoto Step up) - Parks Puffin.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Drop Shannon Parks an email via his website and he will update on availability and latest guidance on shipping.  He is very responsive.  I ordered one back end of last year and from recall it took just over a week to get here (I think via Fed Ex) - and was under GST threshold so no extra charges.

He also provides regular updates on development through his FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/ParksAudio

Edited by gibbo9000
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MrBurns84 said:

@Winno If you're open minded - a Parks Puffin DSP phono.  Use its ADC and output via SPDIF into your dac of choice. Couldnt be happier with mine.  Even has tube 2H function to mimic tube distortions if you so please.  Can adjust gain settings from 36 to 72db.. tilt and air functions to alter the tone of your cart should you wish to.  De-rumble function, Last but the best function IMO, is the 'magic' function to minimise pops and clicks during playback...and yes it does work! :) There's an MC mode, but i find it quite limited, so i just use an MC step up for my Lyra delos.

It looks to be a mighty impressive bit of kit and is certainly piquing my interest. What I really like is the digital out (coax) on the latest version. I've used both the analogue inputs on my pre (Cyrus DAC XP+) but have 4 coaxial inputs spare. This means I can add vinyl to my main system without having to unplug the tuner, etc.

Plus, it's quite affordable.

Thanks.

Edited by Winno
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Winno said:

It looks to be a mighty impressive bit of kit and is certainly piquing my interest. What I really like is the digital out (coax) on the latest version. I've used both the analogue inputs on my pre (Cyrus DAC XP+) but have 4 coaxial inputs spare. This means I can add vinyl to my main system without having to unplug the tuner, etc.

Plus, it's quite affordable.

Thanks.

Unless you really have to, I would advise against using the digital out from the Parks Puffin - reason being that you will do 'Analogue to Digital Conversion' in the Puffin, followed by 'Digital to Analogue conversion' in your Cyrus DAC for your turntable. If you use the analogue out straight into the analogue in of your amplifier, you will save from any sound degradation because of the conversion back and forth.

I have DSP speakers that only support a digital input - hence my lookout for a phono that requires digital output. I currently use a cheap ADC (analogue to digital converter) connected to my rega phono for this digital conversion

1 hour ago, anandpkumar said:

If you use the analogue out straight into the analogue in of your amplifier, you will save from any sound degradation because of the conversion back and forth.

@anandpkumar the comment that is so loosely thrown around about 'sound degradation' because of AD-DA conversion in the chain.  I can understand and appreciate just keeping the analogue output 'as is'  and i was quite skeptical about the Puffin initially as well, but after using it for nearly a year now, there are benefits esp the cart azimuth balancing, pops and clicks minimisation for poor quality records.  

For what its worth, i output the spdif sig to a minidsp shd studio and do digital room correction before outputting this back to my dac.  To my ears this gives me more eargasm's then outputting it direct to my analogue tubed phonostage.  Again some might cringe at this, but let one's ears decide :) 

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Unless you really have to, I would advise against using the digital out from the Parks Puffin - reason being that you will do 'Analogue to Digital Conversion' in the Puffin, followed by 'Digital to Analogue conversion' in your Cyrus DAC for your turntable. If you use the analogue out straight into the analogue in of your amplifier, you will save from any sound degradation because of the conversion back and forth.

I have DSP speakers that only support a digital input - hence my lookout for a phono that requires digital output. I currently use a cheap ADC (analogue to digital converter) connected to my rega phono for this digital conversion

Hmm, fair point. I have a spare analogue input on my Cyrus AVM8 home theatre pre I could move the tuner to I guess. I could then rename the new spare input on the DAC XP+ for phono.

This also appears to make the Puffin a little more affordable too.

(Now, what can I sell to fund all this...)

43 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

@anandpkumar the comment that is so loosely thrown around about 'sound degradation' because of AD-DA conversion in the chain.  I can understand and appreciate just keeping the analogue output 'as is'  and i was quite skeptical about the Puffin initially as well, but after using it for nearly a year now, there are benefits esp the cart azimuth balancing, pops and clicks minimisation for poor quality records.  

For what its worth, i output the spdif sig to a minidsp shd studio and do digital room correction before outputting this back to my dac.  To my ears this gives me more eargasm's then outputting it direct to my analogue tubed phonostage.  Again some might cringe at this, but let one's ears decide :) 

Fair point - and I could be totally wrong about all the AD-DC conversion 'degrading' the sound quality. Ultimately, it's our individual ears that we have to trust. It's great to hear that you are liking the sound from the digital output of the Puffin more that the analogue output. I'll definitely try this out when the funds permit.

On a side note, is the cart azimuth balancing, pops and clicks minimisation etc. applied only on the digital out, or can it be applied on the analogue out also in the Puffin?

@anandpkumar not necessarily imo.  Depending upon what ADC device is used, but most off the commercial units these days can do this well, or so I have been told. ASR site would be a place to confirm this via measurements.. :) 

Yes, the Puffin does all these on DSP and the user can select either the analogue and digital outs. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

@anandpkumar not necessarily imo.  Depending upon what ADC device is used, but most off the commercial units these days can do this well, or so I have been told. ASR site would be a place to confirm this via measurements.. :) 

Yes, the Puffin does all these on DSP and the user can select either the analogue and digital outs. 

Great - thanks for the feedback. Enough diversion from me - back to the OP now.....

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Haha 1