Silver-faced 3 head cassette deck with VUs- recommendations?

wadiman

I’m after recommendations for a good performing three head deck (sonically and functionally) to aesthetically match my  silver teac x1000r. 

Something from Teac’s range is an obvious choice - eg A770 but are there others worth keeping an eye out?  Any there any silver three head Nak’s?

thanks!

Guest Old Man Rubber

I have three good looking decks that fit that description, an older Hitachi D-500, an Onkyo TA-2020 and a marantz SD4000.

The best sounding one is the Marantz plus it has the fancy 2 speed system, although the VU meters are LED (but that matches the SR4000 receiver I am currently using).

The Onkyo is pretty basic - doesn't even have auto-stop but it is a fine playing machine with great speed control - might only be a 2 head model so not terribly desirable but very easy to work on and nicely made.

The Hitachi is very pretty, although this one doesn't work (some belts turned to goo and something is stopping the keys from engaging).  It does play cassettes fine and the loading mechanism is dead funky - the cassette lays back at 45 degrees and there is a little flywheel powered window to look at it.  For novelty value the D-500 is probably the pick of the ones I have but the Marantz is more practical.  Not sure how the D-500 sounds either (no licensed dolby or anything).

20210217_140748.jpg

20210217_140732.jpg

sd4000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...