Ordering internationally and record warp

So I'm starting to  buy records and build my collection. However despite trying to order locally wherever possible, I'm noticing there are some titles I'm keen to pick up that are only really available overseas. My main concern when I do this is the state they arrive in, and more specifically whether they often wind up warped in transit. Is this something I need to be particularly aware of? And at what point does record warp have a noticeable impact on sound quality?

I have been buying from overseas via Discogs for over a year now - and due to Covid some records have been in transit up to 2 months - and I am happy to report a great success rate. My own experience with Discogs is that most sellers on there grade their records better than sellers on Ebay for instance and also know how to pack records properly (outside of the jacket to avoid seam splits etc).  My best purchases have all been via Discogs to be honest.  

My experience with Amazon US is that sometimes arrive with minor warps - but at least returns are easy there.

• Like 2

I have bought successfully internationally via Discogs for 2 or 3 years. Probably 25 albums? I have only had one  warpage mishap, and was able to get a full refund although that process was not quick. I agree with April - Discogs people tend to professionally know what they're doing. As regards SQ, I have observed that sometimes what looks like a significant warp, has no impact, but other times the most inconsequential surface contour causes the dreaded woosh woosh.

• Like 1

This is what I do,

ask the seller to ensure that proper international mailer boxes are used, once I received two albums in a single mailer box, they arrived in very bad condition. The seller gave me a full refund and promised me to be careful next time. I just received a triple album from them in a very good shape.

If you buy from large companies like Accoustic sounds, music direct or collector choice music it’s very likely that you won’t have any issues at all.

good luck

H

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Another trick you probably don’t want to hear is that there are fewer warps when you buy more than one at a time IME ;) 

It makes it more worth while too because the shipping costs are hideous ...............I have brought maybe 250 records from overseas last year - from UK/US & Europe - not one warp from DG sellers - and only one recorded that really was not graded properly ........was NM but it was a double album and the second disc was more like a G+. 

I really went in hard and heavy with my record shopping last year - oops ..............lots of cheap noodles for dinner 2020 ?

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Another trick you probably don’t want to hear is that there are fewer warps when you buy more than one at a time IME ;) 

Haha, I'm totally OK with this, at least for now! Will just make me search a little harder to find something else I want when ordering something more obscure :)

But thanks for the reassurance everyone. Guess I better get ordering!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

It makes it more worth while too because the shipping costs are hideous ...............I have brought maybe 250 records from overseas last year - from UK/US & Europe - not one warp from DG sellers - and only one recorded that really was not graded properly ........was NM but it was a double album and the second disc was more like a G+. 

I really went in hard and heavy with my record shopping last year - oops ..............lots of cheap noodles for dinner 2020 ?

Guesstimating the number ordered last year is brave... I avoid thinking on such things ?

I bought quite a lot of records from overseas in recent days.  The warped record issue much more apparently last year.  Due to covid packages seem to sit in warehouses, and worse delivery vans for longer than usual.

Agreed with @crtexcnndrm99 that buying in bulk tends to lessen the problem.

Generally when u play the record and the cartridge bouncing up and down there is a problem!  Either allow to get it flattened via machine, some record store now offer this service. Or may have to return...