TIDAL - General Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I switched to Qobuz a month back and won't be returning to Tidal. On a 24 hour long playlist I converted from Spotify I only had 6 tracks missing on Qobuz, about 15 on Tidal. The gap is closing on library size across these players and I'm very happy to be out of the MQA ecosystem.

I'm switching as soon as it is launched here (or maybe before if I can be bothered with the VPN stuff)

• Like 3
  • Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cancelled my Tidal y'day. Was of two minds doing it as the Qobuz catalogue isn't as big but went ahead anyway.  

Just cancelled my tidal subscription after years.... Qobuz for me too  

I'm in exactly the same position. I cancelled recently and was rather surprised they sent me this. I've emailed them asking about it but I expect no reply 

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Getting out before the Spotify steamroller arrives?

Yep I'd agree with that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John0001 said:

Yep I'd agree with that.

Definitely, unfortunately Tidal may quickly become irrelevant.

Meridian also have a lot at stake here given they own Roon and MQA and from what I can gather Tidal plays a massive part in their success with both.

Wonder what their next move will be when people start jumping ship from Tidal to Spotify.

BTW, not a bad return for Jayz, didn't he pay about $50m for not a few years ago?

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

I must be one of the few who thinks Tidal is very good value for access to so much lossless music. 

Music is an important part of my life and I'd be prepared to sacrifice in other areas if necessary.

But we're only talking about $5 a week.

You guys must be on razor thin budgets. - or are you just cheapskates who expect streaming music should be (almost) free?

It doesn't sit well with me when I see people with expensive equipment defrauding a service to save a few bucks. Same people who will complain when the service goes belly up no doubt. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Tobes said:

You guys must be on razor thin budgets. - or are you just cheapskates who expect streaming music should be (almost) free?

It doesn't sit well with me when I see people with expensive equipment defrauding a service to save a few bucks.

Same people who will complain when the service goes belly up no doubt.

:yes:

33 minutes ago, Tobes said:

Where just maximising the plan offered by Tidal, if this was a loss making exercise for Tidal they should either bump up the plan price  or remove it as an offering and only offer a single user plan.

JDH 

Edited by jdh500
2 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

Where just maximising the plan offered by Tidal, if this was a loss making exercise for Tidal they should either bump up the plan or remove it as an offering.

JDH 

Justify to yourself how you like, but if the shoe fits......

Definition of cheapskate

: a miserly or stingy person especially : one who tries to avoid paying a fair share of costs or expenses

Then there is this taken from the Tidal T&C's:

The Service requires you to register and create accounts for validation. You agree to: (a) provide accurate, current and complete information as prompted by any registration forms on the Services; (b) maintain and promptly update such information and any other information provided to TIDAL, to keep it accurate, current and complete; (c) maintain the security of your password and identification; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.

TIDAL reserves the right to suspend or remove your account or prohibit your use of the Services, without responsibility or liability to you, if we reasonably believe there may have been a breach of security on your account or if activities occur on your account that we reasonably believe seriously breach the Agreement.

You further agree not to undertake any of the following activities on the Services:

• Using the account, username, or password of another user at any time or disclosing your password to any third party or permitting any third party to access your account;
  • Selling or otherwise transferring your account;

So no breeches then, comply with all of those, where is the clause that says the family members need to reside under the one household, (if this was an issue with Tidal they would spell it out clearly) similar to what I also pay for Apple music family account ? We have 6 seperate and independent Tidal user accounts and passwords, ie. nether utilise the same user name or password.

There would be a point if multiple users were sharing and using the same account ie. same username and password logging in together or even at different times which we are not, I do not use another users account, I don't access it or no their individual password, no one uses my account other than me. The 6 accounts are however bundled to obtain a better over all rate.

JDH

Edited by jdh500

8 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

So no breeches then, comply with all of those, where is the clause that says the family members need to reside under the one household...

?

1 minute ago, jdh500 said:

So no breeches then, comply with all of those, where is the clause that says the family members need to reside under the one household. We have 6 seperate and independent user accounts and passwords, ie. nether utilise the same account. 

There would be a point if multiple users were sharing and using the same account ie. same username and password which we are not, I do not use another users account, I don't access it or no their individual password.

JDH

Not by my reading.

All the user names are on the same Family account.

The terms say that the account holder must not allow a third party to access their 'account' nor 'sell' their account, which is clearly what's happening (in part).

I know you're claiming to be a 'Family member' and not a 'third party', but come on. 

Strictly speaking it could be an offence under the Crimes Act (Obtaining financial advantage by deception). Just saying. 

Anyway, clearly you and the other parties are comfortable with this practice.

I wouldn't be, but people tend to have pretty loose conscience these days. 

21 minutes ago, Tobes said:

Not by my reading.

Strictly speaking it could be an offence under the Crimes Act (Obtaining financial advantage by deception).

Seems a stretch, but you're the lawyer.

Just now, lemarquis said:

Seems a stretch, but you're the lawyer.

A stretch for sure, prosecution is not likely to be pursued in these circumstances.

I do find it amazing (and frustrating) the lengths people will go to save a buck or avoid a valid fee though. 

On 05/03/2021 at 1:14 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Meridian also have a lot at stake here given they own Roon and MQA and from what I can gather Tidal plays a massive part in their success with both.

The ROON team worked at Meridian on Sooloos which they migrated to a seperate company ROON Labs that I understand has no connection with Meridian apart from history.

• Like 1
On 05/03/2021 at 1:44 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Also, I believe Bob Stuart resigned from Meridian some years ago and now runs MQA Ltd. 

Not sure if Meridian have any stake in MQA Ltd or whether they're just a licensee partner like other companies(?)

I think Tidal supporting MQA may have been significant as it gave the record companies somewhere to push the format - otherwise it would be a 'dead duck' IMO.

Probably will die anyway, as non-lossy full hi-res is more attractive and no issue with todays internet.  

Just tried this out on my lg bx oled from 2020, not sure of compatibility with other tvs but finally may have a use for the video/concert section of tidal i never use.

Good to have on the TV, super useful for me as its in the lounge/kitchen area 

• Like 2

Nice one. I listen to tidal through Roon though...so the app won’t help unfortunately 

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

I hope the sound's better than i got on the Samsung TV version via optical (I'm being picky here, but the YouTube app sounds better a lot of the time!)

Again, it’s very easy for them to close this loophole if they want to.

The fact they aren’t and haven’t already, is because they want the subscription numbers.

Paying $7 per month is still better than pirating music.

On that note, pm me if you want to join a tidal family account ?

13 minutes ago, delphi17 said:

Again, it’s very easy for them to close this loophole if they want to.

The fact they aren’t and haven’t already, is because they want the subscription numbers.

Paying $7 per month is still better than pirating music.

On that note, pm me if you want to join a tidal family account ?

Maybe enjoy it while it lasts. Netflix are testing a new feature to to try and stop this so called "sharing" and one thinks it only a matter of time that other services follow.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-12/sharing-your-mates-netflix-account-that-could-be-a-problem/13241430

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/netflix-cracks-down-on-account-sharing/news-story/91595f43fd153d9cc860146994c0271a

Pardon the pun but I doubt this will be music to your ears. ?

Edited by Satanica

They already do that for YouTube .

It’s not rocket science.

If you don’t share IP once in a while(or never ),  then it’s unlikely you are family, right?

In your shared article it says.

That there hasn’t been more of a crackdown on account sharing earlier has been a choice on their parts. There have previously been hints at the possibility that account sharing would be policed”

It’s not because they can’t.

31 minutes ago, delphi17 said:

It’s not rocket science.

If you don’t share IP once in a while(or never ),  then it’s unlikely you are family, right?

I hate that saying as the only thing that is rocket science is actually rocket science.

What I linked to are new stories.

I don't know the technical details but it is predicted that streaming services will struggle to grow soon as the market really is maturing and so they will look at new ways of increasing revenue.

Cracking down on those misusing the service is an obvious way to increase revenue.

On another note here apparently are what music services are paying artists with Qobuz out in front.

I'm currently with Spotify but would consider moving when Qobuz becomes available in Australia.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-giving-more-back-to-the-artists-than-other-services/125013

Edited by Satanica
10 minutes ago, delphi17 said:

I think they will have that and far more sophisticated ways of detection.

18 minutes ago, delphi17 said:

What if your family only uses there own 4g service on a phone? Ie. seperate IP.

JDH

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

I hate that saying as the only thing that is rocket science is actually rocket science.

I don't know the technical details but it is predicted that streaming services will struggle to grow soon as the market really is maturing and so they will look at new ways of increasing revenue.

Cracking down on those misusing the service is an obvious way to increase revenue.

On another note here apparently are what music services are paying artists with Qobuz out in front.

I'm currently with Spotify but would consider moving when Qobuz becomes available in Australia.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-giving-more-back-to-the-artists-than-other-services/125013

In the Article, it says Netflix knows what's going on.

And it didn't bother them back then.

And I would think it would create more issues for them if they actually changed the rules now.

The most important thing is that people actually are paying for music.

And not pirating them for free as they did before they joined the "family."

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

In the Article, it says Netflix knows what's going on.

And it didn't bother them back then.

And I would think it would create more issues for them if they actually changed the rules now.

The most important thing is that people actually are paying for music.

And not pirating them for free as they did before they joined the "family."

And I actually buy CD's to support the Artists.

Tidal to me is a higher quality way of sampling the music before I buy.

Not everyone is trying to rip off the artists.

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
2 hours ago, delphi17 said:

It’s not rocket science.

Most of my family are on different continents. In Australia, that's not so uncommon., is it?

Family subscriptions are quite common in many areas, not just music and netflix and yes, they all know what's going on. I have yet to see a 'legal'  definition or requirement as to what or who constitutes a Family member. 

In the Tidal T&C there is no definition of 'Family' and no reference to any requirements related thereto. 

So much for the legal aspect. As to the commercial side, these factors are built in to the pricing model. 

Carry on you naughty people :zorro:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sean Perth said:

Hi

anyone else been offered Tidal hifi for $17.99 for a year ? 

sounds too good to be true? ... or it that $17.99 per month for a year?

• Like 1

LOL ? would had needed 24 members in the HiFi Family to get that deal of $17.99/yr 

To answer your question, back in 2019 I took up an offer of $11.99/month for a year for Tidal HiFi subscription. 

Edited by vik74au
Guest Eggcup the Dafter

So, if I understand this, NFTs are supposed to allow digital assets to be owned, monetised and cause people to pay more for them, or to be precise access to them. It's just  another form of DRM.

One word - piracy. One of those multi-million dollar digital assets will be on Pirate Bay soon enough, just because some pirate will be bothered enough to steal it.

Though some of these NFT-related assets seem to have as much positive value to most of us as a hemlock and deadly nightshade sandwich, so why bother?

Strip that away, and the idea of Square gathering up independent artists as customers outside of big record labels might hold some water.

Just cancelled my Tidal sub, with only hours before my $4/4months deal ends!

Lucky I checked today, because I missed the reminder I set for 5 days ago. I normally set a reminder for 2 days before end date max, so another serendipitous decision made. I was worried I'd already been charged at the normal price, but it ends on the 25th... luckily, it's not the 25th yet at Tidal HQ ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Esoterica said:

Just cancelled my Tidal sub, with only hours before my $4/4months deal ends!

Lucky I checked today, because I missed the reminder I set for 5 days ago. I normally set a reminder for 2 days before end date max, so another serendipitous decision made. I was worried I'd already been charged at the normal price, but it ends on the 25th... luckily, it's not the 25th yet at Tidal HQ ?

Thanks to your post, I ended up checking on my $4/4 subscription. I thought it expires at the month end, but turned out to be 26th of March, so cancelled it right away. Thanks for the heads up!

Any new offers around for Tidal? With Qobuz launching here by mid-April (as per latest rumor), I hope Tidal brings in better pricing.

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Thanks to your post, I ended up checking on my $4/4 subscription. I thought it expires at the month end, but turned out to be 26th of March, so cancelled it right away. Thanks for the heads up!

Any new offers around for Tidal? With Qobuz launching here by mid-April (as per latest rumor), I hope Tidal brings in better pricing.

Glad to be of service.

I'm going to wait for Qobuz. Tidal's catalogue is often lacking, not having things I search for, and their recommendation algorithm is pretty whack.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Glad to be of service.

I'm going to wait for Qobuz. Tidal's catalogue is often lacking, not having things I search for, and their recommendation algorithm is pretty whack.

Yeah, I am also waiting for the Qobuz launch to find out whether it works better for me than Tidal. Hopefully, it'll launch by mid-April

I've been having intermittent trouble with the tidal app as mentioned in this thread. It first started happening on my Kann Alpha, the pre-installed tidal app would work, but the .apk I loaded would not log in. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help either. Quite strange. I'm definitely going to try qobuz when it's available to see if it runs better.

• Marc changed the title to TIDAL - General Discussion Thread
  • Marc pinned this topic