TIDAL Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Mpr_65 I’ve never liked MQA straight from a node 2 either. 

Sime its a pity PS Audio don't make the Stella DAC MQA compatible like some of their other models....that would be awesome!

Re PS Audio it is only the DSj that is MQA ready out of the box because it includes the Bridge2 network card. MQA is handled by the Bridge2 not the DAC. 

With DSSnr you have to also purchase the Bridge2 card to access MQA. 

Ok, I have now completely changed my tune when it comes to MQA, that or the Brooklyn is just a good DAC. 
Since ive had this DAC al, I have been wanting to listen is MQA stuff from tidal, they just have a nice tone and a groove to them, it’s weird. Whatever this DAC does to them, it’s not being done by the DAC inside the Node2, listening to MQA on the node was boring. I just wish there was more stuff available on tidal. 
Makes me wonder if the detractors of MQA have heard it on a DAC that does hardware decoding instead of software. 
Im sitting here listening to Van Morrison’s Versatile and it’s divine. 

Hey Sime,
Does the Brooklyn Dac Plus run with Roon?

Im using a Meridian 218 which has Roon support, MQA and awesome network control from control systems.

Would love to hear your DAC

[mention=158768]Blade74[/mention] it’s not in the instruction manual, and roon isn’t on my radar so I really don’t have a clue sorry [emoji4]

I did some research and I think you can with the USB connection to a computer.

Looks the goods.

How’s it making other things sound?

It’s pretty good. You can buy better stand alone DAC’s, like a Chord for example, but the Brooklyn is an all rounder, good bang for buck. It’ll be staying with me for awhile. @Blade74

Edited by Sime

• 2 years later...

I like to preface this by saying I'm a vinyl music guy with a dedicated vinyl rig and all this digital stuff is a bit confusing for me.. I've read through this forum and it spins me out..

I saw in the great deals forum you could get a $5 Tidal trial so I thought I'd give it a go and signed up for the HiFi option. So far I can play Tidal on

1) my Yamaha RXV-1077 AVR via Airplay - this works on the AVR Zone 1 (TV room) & Zone 2 (Kitchen)

2) my Yamaha RXV-1077 AVR via Chromecast connected to HDMI this works on the AVR Zone 1 (TV room)

That's it so far. I will mostly listen to the back ground music in the kitchen but i'm limited to using Airplay, not sure if that a problem? Am i getting the correct sound quality using Airplay to stream Tidal the the AVR?

I also have a Oppo BD103 and a Beyonwiz PVR connected to the AVR, but I reckon those will have the same limitation as point 2 above.  So I think I have exhausted  my possibilities wrt to the AVR.

Part 2

1) I've got a CD player connected to my Vinyl system and it has coax and optical inputs. How do I connect a Windows PC or iPhone to that? 

2) I've also got a two channel system in my workshop. My laptop is almost always on in there. I understand I need a (USB) DAC in that situation. Any recommendations for a sub $200 DAC I can try? 

I apologize for my long rambling post.  

Sounds like you are using a mobile device (iPhone?) to access Tidal. You would need a lightning to USB adaptor, then USB cable to a USB DAC. If you have a later model iPad Pro, then it will probably be USB C to B to the DAC. Using an outboard DAC should give a better audio result than Airplay

To connect to your Vinyl system, a DAC is required. This will convert the digital stream to analogue, which can them be sent to the vinyl system via RCA cable. A laptop or PC or tablet or phone can be used as the digital source, connected to the DAC via USB. A Dragonfly DAC is a good entry point. If you want to step up in quality, ie MQA playback, may I recommend the SMSL M500 DAC. It has XLR balanced output, if that's usefull, this is what I have. Welcome to the modern digital world, good luck.

Edited by Gale
spelling
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 4:52 PM, Gale said:

Welcome to the modern digital world

Thank You @mjs & @Gale. I feel like I'm pretty modern :) but I have never listened to music through my phone or laptop. I'm scouring the net and the classifieds to find a DAC around the $200 mark. I don't want to spend too much, its just something I want to try. Also money is tight due to the virus. I want to see if I like it and see if Tidal worth it..  

So far the Tidal does sound good played through my AVR. 

Edited by charlie_bird

• 2 months later...

I was looking for some lossless album downloads and the Tidal shop was the only place for the particular album I wanted. I'd never used Tidal nor bought anything from there before but I gave in and purchased this one album from there in flac version. When I was taken to the download page, it listed the 18 tracks as separate downloads. At the top there was a button for downloading all the tracks I assumed would be a zip file or something. When I clicked on it it brought up 4 save dialogue boxes at a time and kept popping one up after the other as each file was saved of each of the separate track filenames. This was a woeful experience as it started reusing the names of some of the earlier downloaded files and just overwrote them! I figured I'd just redownload them... only to find you only get one download ever with your purchase. Now I've had to put in a support request and I expect I'll get pathetic turnaround times and probably no satisfaction. Suffice to say one potential Tidal customer lost.

• Like 1

Sounds like amateur hour at Tidal. Offering to download multiple files and then naming them all the same?

They must have only tested this from a Mac, where it would actually work without overwriting. Still, you’d be left with a bunch of files named “track.flac”, “track-1.flac”, track-2.flac”, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Steffen said:

Sounds like amateur hour at Tidal. Offering to download multiple files and then naming them all the same?

They must have only tested this from a Mac, where it would actually work without overwriting. Still, you’d be left with a bunch of files named “track.flac”, “track-1.flac”, track-2.flac”, etc.

It was partially my fault for allowing it to overwrite them but at the same time, why the *** would it be using the other track filenames? I detect breakage at their end. It also shows just how few people are as stupid as me and buy stuff from Tidal.

6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

It was partially my fault for allowing it to overwrite them but at the same time, why the *** would it be using the other track filenames? I detect breakage at their end. It also shows just how few people are as stupid as me and buy stuff from Tidal.

Until you mentioned it I didnt even know you could buy music from Tidal - they certainly dont make a song and dance about it, perhaps its a work in progress?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Until you mentioned it I didnt even know you could buy music from Tidal - they certainly dont make a song and dance about it, perhaps its a work in progress?

Perhaps they just "shouldn't?"

I noticed the store when I was considering tidal subscription and it said discounted download purchases for subscribers. Otherwise I wouldn't even know it was there. However you can purchase from there without being a subscriber, but prepare to squeeze out a kidney stone over the prices. That's partly why I'm so angry because I paid a premium price for this album, when I was actually just looking for one song - and that one song I wanted got overwritten so I never even got the damn thing.

https://store.tidal.com/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just got an automated email from Tidal saying thank you for your purchase, along with links to various pages including "manage your downloads and purchases." Clicking that link took me here ?:

image.png.755ae580cb032f8a0e522ef88a5c9878.png

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I didn't know they sold downloadable music either.

So I searched for a couple of albums I've been wanting as CD or flac, found one.

Go to the Download page for the album, $11.99 for mp3, sounds alright, choose flac and it's $21.59. So no sale there.

Edited by pwstereo

Even I had no idea that you could buy music from Tidal - though it seems that the 'download' experience didn't go down very well!

Hope your issue gets resolved soon. 'Downloading' music from a web-site should be a no-brainer! wonder why some companies make it so complicated! 

I know I've had a couple of beers, but I still can't see how to buy the album I'm playing?  Either through a browser, or the Android or Windows apps.

Oh.  Googled it.  Yeah, $21.59 for FLAC, nah.  And still can't see how to get to it from anywhere I'm looking.  

• Like 1