Recomend me a centre speaker.

Goodaye all

Have noticed our US made Jenson centre speaker is making horrible scrapping sounds at certain freq's.

l think its a voice coil.

So starting to look for a sub $500 centre speaker, new or used.

It would be used 6hrs a day at least and would be run by a Sony surround system.

In black.

regards Bruce

Have you considered opening it up and replacing the driver?

I know I got far better results going DIY than my previous Dali Ikon Vokal 2 centre speaker. I simply installed drivers in a plank of pine and covered with speaker cloth which I installed into my entertainment unit angled up at the listening position.

I used 2x 4ohm 89db 4.5" fullrange drivers, 2x 5" 1/4" 92.1db woofers and 1x 3" 91db beryllium copper dome tweeter with a 2uf cap. It all blends seamlessly to my ears with less softness with voices than the Dali was getting. Everything is now very easy to understand. Unusually I find I could probably get rid of my sub now. I never knew that they put so much of the bass for explosions and other effects through the centre channel. A real surprise.

The beryllium copper tweeter seems to have as much fine detail as many ribbons I've heard too. It was an inexpensive build as the tweeter and fullrange were Chinese of Aliexpress, the woofers Dayton Audio and caps Russian military surplus. I used a combination of Van Damme LC-OFC, Western Electric paper covered copper and Neotech UPOCC copper teflon coated wire to achieve the desired results. Basically what I had on hand. The only downside is that I had set up my UST projector on top of the old Dali centre speaker so had to build a box for it to sit on rather than put more holes in the wall to lower the projector screen.

20210211_081803.thumb.jpg.34f1452391b52b6a4a1c4cd02166fedd.jpg

Edited by MattyW
1 hour ago, sloper said:

Goodaye all

Have noticed our US made Jenson centre speaker is making horrible scrapping sounds at certain freq's.

l think its a voice coil.

So starting to look for a sub $500 centre speaker, new or used.

It would be used 6hrs a day at least and would be run by a Sony surround system.

In black.

regards Bruce

What make & model are the front mains and what types of drivers do they have in them?  Are they also Jensen?

Goodaye

The Fronts are Kef Concerto's that have been restored with some mods to the crossovers

Rears are TDL Nucleus.

regards Bruce

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, sloper said:

Goodaye

The Fronts are Kef Concerto's that have been restored with some mods to the crossovers

Rears are TDL Nucleus.

regards Bruce

I always liked the KEF Concerto's. Only heard them once but for me it was a memorable experience.

Ok, checked the Jenson, its a chinese made one with chinese drivers with numbers that are unsearchable.

Jenson AVX200 my brother purchased it from Dougless Hifi in Nunawading  in the 80's

Has 4  5" drivers.

Could get on to Wayne Dougless maybe for a driver but its still a chinese one.

So to me its not worth doing anything much, although it does sound good.

Would love a British made centre to match the Kef's and TDL's.

regards Bruce

20 hours ago, sloper said:

Goodaye

Rears are TDL Nucleus.

regards Bruce

Nice.  The Concertos have a lot of fans.  In my 2nd system I have a pair of vintage Silcron Transmission Line speakers designed along similar lines that use a KEF woofer and enjoy them a lot.

So with the KEFs and TDLs you'd probably want to stick with something that has a soft dome tweeter.

The Aperion in the classifieds might be a good match.

Or have look at the DALI Oberon Vokal or Zensor Vokal.

11 minutes ago, The Rock Puppy said:

Just a thought, but if you're good with your hands, you might glance at http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/. They have a range of stuff that may be suitable. Probably lots of other sites like that around, too.

Food for thought.  An acquaintance of mine has this and was in a similar predicament to you as his center karked it a few years ago.  I remembered him raving about it back then.

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/hdsk260c-bv-hdsk260c-bv-5-mtm-speaker-kit-centre

Handy enough with the tools.😉

Its the time at the moment, got a couple of stalled projects.

Was also hoping to pick something up in Melbourne.

regards Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Goodaye all

Got a Bowers and Wilkins B&W LCR6. series 2 (Made in England)

Fitted in well and sounds great.

Bass is very clear.

So its all English speakers for the Stereo and Surround sound.

The old Jenson is going to have the drivers swapped around, bass and midrange are the same, so maybe it wont make the noise due to the freq change.

Going on the Decking TV anyway.

regards Bruce

• Like 1