GTG: Melbourne audio round trip (November)

Just a quick check - how do hosts feel about the numbers? If not all can be seated in the listening room at once, that need not be a problem, we can always rotate and a big part of GTGs is yakking anyway.
OK for me. I will setup the horn in living room (allows 5+ ppl) and the dipoles in the 'cave' (allows 3 ppl). So just take turns. It's still a small house/unit though.

Oh, also apparently sunday's weather is going to be crap. If it rains, it's not possible to listen in my cave (tin roof). So...

10am arrive at Andi's place in Bonbeach. I believe we get to hear the gaincave! His latest open baffle creations, if I've got it right I think that includes a vifa ring radiator in a waveguide, then a Seas Excel mid and dipole woofers, all active in the new dedicated room. I've heard some of Andi's past projects, looking forward to this one, it shows a lot of promise.
Yes they use XT25 + Seas + Jaycar woofers. It's an amateur DIY speaker, so please don't expect too much! To be honest I was initially not sure of being a "host" :). What I can promise is various sound due to different radiation (dipole, narrow directivity, and an omni if we have the time).

I also don't have a proper CD player as all my stuff are streamed. If anyone is keen to bring one that would be awesome, otherwise the only CD player is "Aldi" brand.

Question for hosts - do we set a limit regarding numbers? PM if you prefer. We could end up with a few more than 10 potentially, or we could just limit it.

10 is ok for me, 12 is really pushing it, but "possible".

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK for me. I will setup the horn in living room (allows 5+ ppl) and the dipoles in the 'cave' (allows 3 ppl). So just take turns. It's still a small house/unit though.

Oh, also apparently sunday's weather is going to be crap. If it rains, it's not possible to listen in my cave (tin roof). So...

Yes they use XT25 + Seas + Jaycar woofers. It's an amateur DIY speaker, so please don't expect too much! To be honest I was initially not sure of being a "host" :). What I can promise is various sound due to different radiation (dipole, narrow directivity, and an omni if we have the time).

I also don't have a proper CD player as all my stuff are streamed. If anyone is keen to bring one that would be awesome, otherwise the only CD player is "Aldi" brand.

10 is ok for me, 12 is really pushing it, but "possible".

I'll bring a Mac and DAC as a bac-up...

Just a quick update, at the moment we have a guest list of 10 including hosts.

1. Paul Spencer
  2. gainphile (Andi)
  3. CJCC (Craig)
  4. Whatmore (Trevor)
  5. Ando (Mike)
  6. gia (George)
  7. houdinifangs (Matt)
  8. warrengday (warren)
  9. Stefan – possible
  10. mystery guest

Stefan isn't sure if he can make it and I think we just might have an appearance from a mystery guest to be confirmed. A couple of others expressed interest but haven't sent me contact details!

Just a quick check - how do hosts feel about the numbers? If not all can be seated in the listening room at once, that need not be a problem, we can always rotate and a big part of GTGs is yakking anyway.

Regarding food, I'm bringing disposable plates and cutlery to make it easy. Craig is planning a BBQ, mentioned he is thinking of doing some salads so we just need guests to bring some meat to suit the BBQ. If anyone wants to bring anything not BBQ that might suit (ie that can be eaten standing up with plastic cutlery), that should be fine. If anyone is vegetarian or vegan, now would be a good time to mention! Or you could just bring some veggie burgers, soy snags etc.

The schedule goes like this:

10am arrive at Andi's place in Bonbeach. I believe we get to hear the gaincave! His latest open baffle creations, if I've got it right I think that includes a vifa ring radiator in a waveguide, then a Seas Excel mid and dipole woofers, all active in the new dedicated room. I've heard some of Andi's past projects, looking forward to this one, it shows a lot of promise. The schedule is tight, make sure you get a listen in guys! 11.45 I start pushing people out the door!

12ish lunch at Craig's followed by the Jazzmans. I've heard them before, they are a speaker you could listen to all day. Really nice tight dry controlled drivers in a nice solid box, a crossover designed by Troels Gravesen. A lovely speaker, when I heard them I ended up staying for a looooong time. We won't have that luxury on the day so people need to get in quick with their tracks! At 2.30 the time nazi says "let's keep moving along gents!"

3pm @ Trevor's in Glen Iris. I'm sure many are keen to hear his Zingalis, which are a little different to what most have heard. Compression drivers, a wooden horn and high sensitivity along with what appears to be a very impressive power amp. We will have a wrap up time (TBA) so that we don't impose too much on Trevor's family.

Question for hosts - do we set a limit regarding numbers? PM if you prefer. We could end up with a few more than 10 potentially, or we could just limit it.

Craig - still a BBQ given the weather. Rainy tommorow too...

What a beaut day!

Thanks to all hosts Andi, Craig and Trevor all superb hosts. And an extra big thanks to Paul for organising the day.

First up Gainphiles open baffle DIY. Great sound - far to complex for me to understand how it all works

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38447[/ATTACH]

The off axis and room integration was stellar on these babies - maybe it was the wave guide?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38448[/ATTACH]

Yeah - I'm lost but Andi and Paul knew the score

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38449[/ATTACH]

Another Gainphile creation - with a far more directional and up front sound - I liked these but they are screaming for tubes...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38450[/ATTACH]

More to follow after dinner...

Then on to Craig's place. Dunno what was glowing more, him or his new monoblocks. They added a smacking of depth and detail to his already smoking speakers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38451[/ATTACH]

Tubes glorious tubes...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38452[/ATTACH]

I really like these speakers. Detail, bass but they're also fast and swing...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38453[/ATTACH]

Finally Trevor's place...it's just not fair...anyone need a kidney? I hear Pure Music are selling off their last demo pair...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38454[/ATTACH]

I will again apologise to the host all guests for subjecting them to scary music. I couldn't not do it - I'd been holding back all day. If it's any consolation the best 4:13 of Einstürzende Neubauten that I have ever heard.

This pic was the calm before the storm. A westerly or two blew in shortly after...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38455[/ATTACH]

Edited by houdinifangs

What a great way to spend Sunday !!

Thanks to Paul for organising this. Not easy !

We listened to various contrasting elements of a hifi hobby... from wide to narrow directivity speakers, from smooth sounding to barking sound of large waveguides, from cheap crap-d amps to tube jewels... awesome. Got back home at 9pm !

It amazes me how there are so many ways to reproduce music.