Bill's Vintage 1950's Western Electric Cable

I have just sent a note of thanks to Bill who has fabricated a pair of XLR to RCA leads which will allow me to use several of my pre/power combinations without adapters. He dipped into his current supply of 1950's Western Electric cable to accomplish this. Let me say at the outset - I don't consider myself to be a "cable guy", but this stuff is staggeringly good from the get go! Given that Bill is making use of a very finite resource, I would advise anybody contemplating  the acquisition of superlative end-game cabling, to jump before it's too late. As an aside, he somehow managed to deliver this in 5 days, Brisbane to Adelaide.

Hi Bill. The WE cable just arrived. Everything about it is fantastic! Splendid quality of finish, impossibly good interstate delivery time and immediately crystal clear SQ. Heaven knows how good it will sound 200hrs down the track. I can't imagine there's a better cable out there for less than a second mortgage! I am absolutely certain that nobody anywhere has got an XLR to RCA that sounds better than this one. I agree with you Bill. If any more of this vintage Western Electric stuff comes up, you need to grab it.

Many thanks, Leon.

Edited by Bisguittin
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

Heaven knows how good it will sound 200hrs down the track.

Assuming for moment that cable burn-in is a thing (and not wanting to derail this thread by starting a debate on this point), do you reckon that a cable from the 1950s that has presumably done many years of service will still change?

I’m looking forward to my WE cables, for me it’s the wax/oil/cloth aspect that is most alluring. And of course Bill’s handiwork.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Assuming for moment that cable burn-in is a thing (and not wanting to derail this thread by starting a debate on this point), do you reckon that a cable from the 1950s that has presumably done many years of service will still change?

That's an excellent question @Steffen. Thankyou. I had not even considered that dimension. I got the (possibly mistaken) impression that Bill had sourced a roll of this stuff which had been sitting unused for years in a depot somewhere (NOS). If on the other hand it was removed from electrical infrastructure, that may well present an entirely different set of burn-in characteristics.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

That's an excellent question @Steffen. Thankyou. I had not even considered that dimension. I got the (possibly mistaken) impression that Bill had sourced a roll of this stuff which had been sitting unused for years in a depot somewhere (NOS). If on the other hand it was removed from electrical infrastructure, that may well present an entirely different set of burn-in characteristics.

That was also just an assumption on my part. I don’t really know either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

That was also just an assumption on my part. I don’t really know either way.

2 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

The roll I sourced was unused.   So burn in is still valid on this cable.  I have just acquired from the US another amount of the cable. This time used.   So already burnt in.   And actually cost more ??‍♂️  But I would think sonically after 20 - 30 hours the new cable will sound identical to the second hand one.  Now let’s see how long it takes to get here.  

• Like 2

I have a pair of Bill’s new interconnects and I found them very good to my ears straight out of the nice box.  

I also have some of Bill’s very good silver cables and they definitely took a few hours to settle in before they reached their potential.

• Like 1