Can you identify the function of these capacitors.

Hi. I have the asus H170I-PRO motherboard, which has 4 gold coloured capacitors in the bottom left hand corner. These are described as audio grade premium caps by the manufacturer. But what do they do. I thought they may be to smooth the dc power supply a little but they are some distance from the audio chip. Or are they dc blocking caps. Do you know.
Many thanks.

Fqn83T2KoUn6Q5cT_setting_xxx_0_90_end_1000.png

You wouldn't use expensive caps for smoothing power supply.

They'd have to be in the signal path, one suspects.

edit - here's a simple op amp circuit...........you'll see the output cap is many  times the input cap.

For stereo, you need two sets................that's my guess anyway without seeing the circuit diagram.

3VDqI.gif

Edited by LogicprObe

Yeah, audio caps for the sound circuit.

Nichicon Gold

Edit: Could be decoupling or coupling, as Les says... would need to see the circuit. Likely coupling as Les suggests.

Edited by muon*

So they are for dc blocking? Why only 4 caps, it is a 7.1 chip so would have thought at least one cap for each channel, 8 caps in total at least.

Thanks

1 minute ago, john121 said:

So they are for dc blocking? Why only 4 caps, it is a 7.1 chip so would have thought at least one cap for each channel, 8 caps in total at least.

Thanks

Ha!

Probably need to read the fine print...................quality caps for stereo only!

(I'm guessing here)

Show us a pic of the back in/outs or does just pass the 7.1 thru HDMI?

• Like 1

Okay, i will put a up a pic of the back.

It is very difficult to tell without the schematic. How could i test them?
If i removed the caps, and they are power supply smoothing caps, i might get a little noise introduced into the sound.
If i removed the caps, and they are dc blocking, then the sound should go off all together.
Sorry for the amateurish theory, how does it sound.
Thanks.

I would say they are coupling caps for the Line out (also used for front LR in surround) stage. But the question is, why? Is there a problem, or are you just fiddling around?

it's the output caps for the headphone and line out (1 pair each) and the audio chip is not far it's the realtek chip really close to it

I am reminded of that motherboard that had two valves on it to make buyers think it was audiophile.   

These days, you should get your audio well  out of the computer in digital form before you turn it into analogue if you want hifi.

I had a motherboard with the headphone amp ic in a socket for chip rolling as it was an opa2134 I didn't bother.

My son now has that PC.

The reason for the question, i built a htpc and am using the hdmi out from the pc sent to a screen to reproduce the picture.

The pc has analog 7.1 output via 3.5mm jacks which i am running to several power amps to produce the audio.

Picture is okay, sound is not so good.

I just liked the idea of an all in one compact package with the pc doing all the sound functions, volume control, dsp, eq etc, and the picture is output via hdmi. Now it seems i made a mistake.

I want to improve the audio more than anything else. The obvious way as most of my searching has revealed is hdmi out from the pc to a receiver.

Or hdmi out from pc to a av preamp, then to the power amps.

Am leaning more towards the preamp route as there appears to be a general consensus on the net that seperates are better than receivers.

But some spectators feel modern receivers are excellent and good enough for most people.

What do you think. What would you do. If you feel receivers, which one would you go for.

If av preamp, which would you go for.

Many thanks.

I thin you better post this question in AVR section of the forum and first obvious question anyone would ask is what’s your budget

• 2 weeks later...