A proud audiophile moment

Hey,

my wife asked me today “ is there anything I can do about the bad sound on her mum’s TV cause music is harsh and gives her (my wife) a headache”.

Finally some recognition for my HiFi setup ? She has tasted the good life and better yet can now appreciate the difference. So proud. 

Anyone else have a story to share?

Cheers

• Like 17

Not often but once in a while I get my wife in the sweet spot and she really enjoys the great sound quality. She's also very good at hearing differences in sound quality and expressing what she hears so she can help me with speaker set up. 

At the moment I have two places for my speakers; close to the wall for general use (TV, Radio) and another spot about 2.7m into the room for best sound. That's a very inconvenient place to have them because it requires stepping over cables. I've put two felt pen dots on the timber floor where the corners of the feet need to be so it's easy to set them back up exactly where they sound best. We had one of her friends come over the other day who is a musician. It was my wife, not me, who wanted to set the speakers up in their 'music' position and give him a listen. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Not a wife story, but a good mate of mine has a decent set up (Rega and Sonus faber) and has been over several times for a listen. 

Last time he brought over a few CDs. After a session he commented that I should come over to his place to give him some advice on how to improve his system :) 

• Like 4

Guest niterida

I keep asking my missus if she likes the speakers I see for sale here or Gumtree etc and she keeps saying "you know I don't want any speakers".

The other night we listened to heaps of music in my theatre, which sounds absolutely superb even for just music.

Then yesterday she was in her room listening to her little pair of speakers ( from an old AIWA Micro system but running from a reasonable AVR and with a sub and they actually sounded better than my old Mordaunt Shorts !!) and she came out and said "when are you getting me new speakers - you know I've been asking for ages "

?

Edited by niterida

58 minutes ago, niterida said:

I keep asking my missus if she likes the speakers I see for sale here or Gumtree etc and she keeps saying "you know I don't want any speakers".

The other night we listened to heaps of music in my theatre, which sounds absolutely superb even for just music.

Then yesterday she was in her room listening to her little pair of speakers ( from an old AIWA Micro system but running from a reasonable AVR and with a sub and they actually sounded better than my old Mordaunt Shorts !!) and she came out and said "when are you getting me new speakers - you know I've been asking for ages "

?

They all just seem to remember what they want to remember..... 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 1:56 PM, Steffen said:

It is my firm belief that what women want most for Valentine’s Day is new speakers.

Just like how men would love a new Dior Handbag !!

hahahahahhaha

(but if it were me........I'd rather the speakers or records !!)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Although I've carried a 'manbag' since the 70s, April ... no, I wouldn't love a new Dior handbag.  :lol:

My wife certainly is looking forward to a new spkrs though - but they certainly won't be arriving for Valentines Day.  (These new spkrs will take up a great deal less space than the Maggies which I've had for over 25 years - hence the attraction.  I'm hoping that they will deliver the good sound I've become accustomed to!)

Andy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, April Snow said:

hahahahahhaha

(but if it were me........I'd rather the speakers or records !!)

Your new speakers are coming on Saturday.

• Like 2

A shiny looking Leak Stereo 20 valve amp in bronze colour is not only your wife's best friend but her best friend's friend. It always impresses my wife and her friends playing Taylor Swift in the background on Spotify. It makes way for an excellent Valentine's Day gift where you can both contribute to rolling the bottles in the background over a good red. ???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, andyr said:

Although I've carried a 'manbag' since the 70s, April ... no, I wouldn't love a new Dior handbag.  :lol:

My wife certainly is looking forward to a new spkrs though - but they certainly won't be arriving for Valentines Day.  (These new spkrs will take up a great deal less space than the Maggies which I've had for over 25 years - hence the attraction.  I'm hoping that they will deliver the good sound I've become accustomed to!)

Andy

What you want are DIY open baffles...... No smaller than the maggies but with careful choices more efficient and dynamic.

If you're ever in Brissie I'd love to demo mine. See what you think....  Then again with a little one in the house not even @muon* has heard it recently and he's local. Really need to rectify that that :)

Edited by MattyW

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Andy

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

Your new speakers are coming on Saturday.

What are they?

8 hours ago, MattyW said:

What you want are DIY open baffles...... No smaller than the maggies but with careful choices more efficient and dynamic.

Great minds think alike, Matt!  :thumb:

That would indeed be noice - but, as I have a miniDSP at the heart of my system, I am going for something even more minimal.  :)

If you're ever in Brissie I'd love to demo mine. See what you think....  

I'd love to ... but, sorry, have no travelling plans, atm.  :(

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Great minds think alike, Matt!  :thumb:

That would indeed be noice - but, as I have a miniDSP at the heart of my system, I am going for some even more minimal.  :)

I'd love to ... but, sorry, have no travelling plans, atm.  :(

Andy

Easy way to go OB without bi-amping is Lii Audio F15 fullrange + Aurum Cantus G3Si (or Fountek JP2) + upfiring Skar Audio VX1-ST bullets & single 2.2uf cap. Keep the F15 close to the floor and angle the baffle up at your listening position. My mates OB's don't seem to need a helper woofer at all and it would work beautifully with your Alpha Nirvana amp  ;)

I'm assuming you're referring to bi-amping with respect to complexity? Unless you're actually referring to actual speaker size? That said such configuration is quite short so isn't in any way imposing, though it is still wide as necessitated by 15" drivers.

Here's some video's while Tim was testing out my Aleph-M after it's recap, though prior to installation of Neotech Gold/Silver input wiring. Was straight after recap so no burn in or amp warm up. I believe he has his about 2.4uf in in front of his tweeters these days so crossed over a bit low.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FCcO-5TM9ESoZ1pLrM98dDwKw0HE-A_X?usp=sharing

Edited by MattyW

All great stories ☺

We made the move to analogue about a decade ago and at a hifi show she mostly got to choose what rooms we went into. She did that based on what was sounding nice vs. meh as we walked past. Every room she chose was an analogue setup.

More recently I stealth replaced my speaker cables with one I was auditioning and unpromted one night she said asked if I did something with them system because it sounded different... really good.  So I told her and ahe replied with,  "guess we're keeping the cables huh".

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My proudest moment would have to be smuggling in a SVS SB- 2000 sub without wifey knowing, she did say "Music is sounding very nice lately"...Bonus for me?

Tried the same thing with an Oppo BD player as well, pat on the back for me for pulling this caper off again?

Well...Dumbo (thats me) put the player on pause while refreshing wifey's wine glass, get back and wifey says "Why is suddenly the name Oppo bouncing around on the screen"

Turned out to be a very interesting night...:frantics: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I just got my new media room and set up the speakers 1/3rd into the room and used the golden ratio for distance from the walls after setting it up a little more practically at first. I got my wife to sit in that spot and she begrudgingly agreed that it did sound fantastic.

• Like 2

I auditioned a pair of Harbeth SHL5P's with a nice tube amp and my wife was with me. She has always said she can't hear much difference in anything. That day I've never seen her sit so still and concentrate. She said they sounded lovely and we should get a pair ?:party

The other day I got a cart back that had been modded by @cafe latte up north. It's a Grado Blue Mk2 with a AT150MLX cantilever and tip on it. She heard it and said that sounds really nice ? Better than any other carts I've had. I think she's learning ?

• Like 5