What would be the best way to cut a notch in Jarrah ?

keinesorge

With circumstances being what they are, i have found myself with some free time and feel compelled to get a start on some of my audio projects.

I was thinking of creating something like this but am unsure as to the most effective way to cut the notch out.

The notch would be around 40mm x 30mm.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Acoustic Revive RCI-3H.jpg

2 hours ago, Steffen said:

I’m no expert, but seeing that the inner corners are rounded, I’d drill them at the required radius and cut the straights with a jigsaw. Clean up with a file.

Thanks for that Steffen.

The inner corners dont have to be rounded, but your suggestion has got the mental gears turning. 

if you need a whole bunch, size a piece of wood using a thicknesser then route out the cutout, then chop to depth with a dropsaw.  if you only need a few, you can do the whole thing with just the dropsaw using the depth stop to hog out the cutout.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, r3x said:

if you need a whole bunch, size a piece of wood using a thicknesser then route out the cutout, then chop to depth with a dropsaw.  if you only need a few, you can do the whole thing with just the dropsaw using the depth stop to hog out the cutout.

Thanks r3x.

I might not follow this all too well (the last time i worked with timber was in the early 90s) but i appreciate your input.

I think i'd better let someone professional handle this as i dont want to make a mess of things.  When i find some professional help, i'll have the text of your msg on the display.