JVC X9000 Pop sound then No Picture

I need a little help sitting down tonight watching Apple TV, all other sudden there was loud pop from the projector. The lens cover closed and I’m sure the orange lamp warning light is flashing twice to 1 red warning light flash

im assuming the ‘Pop’ was the bulb blowing, anyone else had this or advise what else it might be?

Edited by p.laver

Guest Old Man Rubber

Main culprit will be the bulb, if the warning light is flashing it won't be the power supply or a fuse or something like that.

The only way to tell is have a look at it.  If you've never changed a projector bulb and you aren't comfortable doing so I'd recommend finding a tech.  I don't have a JVC but have changed bulbs on other projectors, it usually isn't super difficult.

2 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Main culprit will be the bulb, if the warning light is flashing it won't be the power supply or a fuse or something like that.

The only way to tell is have a look at it.  If you've never changed a projector bulb and you aren't comfortable doing so I'd recommend finding a tech.  I don't have a JVC but have changed bulbs on other projectors, it usually isn't super difficult.

Yep blub blown, lots of tiny pieces inside the projector, any recommendation where to buy genuine JVC bulb?

Edited by p.laver

Guest Old Man Rubber
39 minutes ago, p.laver said:

Yep blub blown, lots of tiny pieces inside the projector, any recommendation where to buy genuine JVC blubs?

I only ever buy bulbs off Ebay ?  In the past if I was trying to save money, I'd buy a non-original sled with an OEM bulb in it.   Never had one pop like that though, you might be in for a very careful cleanup job.

4 hours ago, waikis said:

how many hours on the bulb?

Not sure I bought the projector 2nd-hand with just over 500 hours on the bulb just over 3yrs ago.  The last time i checked it was well above 2000 hours.

I'll get the total when I fit the new light unit. Which hopefully is on it's way.

Wow. I just swapped out the bulb on my old JVC x35 after clocking up 4865hrs. Still performed acceptably in the dark with total light control and with the iris all the way open but there were definitely gains to be had. Should have swapped it sooner.

Up to 3400hrs on my x7900. Still plenty bright for the light controlled, black interior environment. The idea of the bulb popping and making a mess is a bit of a concern, though. On the other hand, JVC lamps aren't cheap...

Regardless, good to know projectorscreens have still got original lamps in stock.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cashflag said:

Luck of the draw, I guess. Sounds like you didn't even get to the "Replace Lamp" notification that kicks in somewhere in the 3000's.

The only notification I got was a 'POP' then total darkness lol

Guest Old Man Rubber

Bulb life doesn't seem to be an exact science - some of them seem to last forever, some dim early and some just straight up explode (at least that was my experience with the ancience Benq projector I had).  If your PJ has a lot of dust incursion I always thought it was a good idea to blow it off the surface of the bulb to try to minimise any heat buildup on the glass, but who knows whether that causes problems, was just me being paranoid.  I have heard anecdotally that the oil on your fingers can cause problems with these bulbs if you handle them (which makes sense - the halogen car headlamps all carry warnings about touching the glass).

Unfortunately, for those of us using 2nd hand gear we just don't know who installed the bulb last time and whether they were careful, or whether they have sneakily reset the bulb hours to make a sale more attractive, so I would always budget in a bulb replacement on any "new to me" projector.

9 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Bulb life doesn't seem to be an exact science - some of them seem to last forever, some dim early and some just straight up explode (at least that was my experience with the ancience Benq projector I had).  If your PJ has a lot of dust incursion I always thought it was a good idea to blow it off the surface of the bulb to try to minimise any heat buildup on the glass, but who knows whether that causes problems, was just me being paranoid.  I have heard anecdotally that the oil on your fingers can cause problems with these bulbs if you handle them (which makes sense - the halogen car headlamps all carry warnings about touching the glass).

Unfortunately, for those of us using 2nd hand gear we just don't know who installed the bulb last time and whether they were careful, or whether they have sneakily reset the bulb hours to make a sale more attractive, so I would always budget in a bulb replacement on any "new to me" projector.

Dust level inside wasn't too bad, not enough to cause any issues with air flow etc. You can't touch the bulb while it's in the housing and you're right about not touching the bulb surface with your fingers. I learnt many many years ago about not touching bulb surface.

I got just over 3 years use that's approx 78 hours per month, I don't think the usage is to bad. I'm firm believer 'if you own it then use it!!!' PJ's are not just for sunny days and holidays ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this happen years ago with a Sharpvision projector and genuine lamp with barely 1000  hours of use..  The issue turned out to be the PJ power supply that sent too much voltage to the lamp.