GDay all.

My speakers have four posts.  I know what they are for now....you can stop rolling your eyes.  Just that I now have a newer receiver and want to have a play.  Can I connect my speakers to the spare connection on my receiver?  I would like to use Front L&R and the spare Surround Back L&R together.  Would this be ok?  Thought Id ask the gurus.  The cables I have is in the picture   attached.  I have had a gander on the net and it deals with an amp and receiver.  My receiver is a NAD 777v3.  I have fronts, surrounds, centre and a sub.   If its worthwhile, how is it done? Ta

Edited by Pararigger
30 minutes ago, Pararigger said:

My speakers have four posts.  I know what they are for now....you can stop rolling your eyes.

Everybody knows that, between the inner posts 6 points, between the outer ones one point.

;)

30 minutes ago, Pararigger said:

Can I connect my speakers to the spare connection on my receiver?  I would like to use Front L&R and the spare Surround Back L&R together.  Would this be ok?

If the receiver supports configuring unused surround channels as additional front channels for bi-amping, then yes. Some receivers do, some don’t. Not sure about yours, but this is something that needs to be set up in the receiver menus somewhere. When done, you’d connect the front L/R outputs to the speaker LF terminals, and the reconfigured surround outputs to the speaker HF terminals.

EDIT Looks like your receiver supports it. It’s on page 20 of the manual.

https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/T777v3_eng_OM_v14FE.pdf

Edited by Steffen

GDay Steffen.  Thanks for the response.  I have seen bi amp in the manual but most pic I see on the net are with an amp.  Unsure if I could use the spare connection as there was no diagram etc.  Would this pic work?

Nad Bi Amp.jpg

Edited by Pararigger

Yeah knock yourself out. Have a goat bi-amping. I don't know that it makes a huge difference but no harm in trying. If they aren't being used why not. 

• Like 1

I'm sure you know this, but it's cheap advice if you don't:

Make sure you remove any bridging plates or wires from the speaker posts before you try this, or it could be bye bye amp channels

• Like 1

Yep bi-amping does have excellent results, I did this when I had a NAD T787 years ago - but that has two toroidal transformers, whereas I don't think the T777 does, so results will likely vary.  Bear in mind that you'll lose some HT surround features when you do this.

7 hours ago, Pararigger said:

GDay Steffen.  Thanks for the response.  I have seen bi amp in the manual but most pic I see on the net are with an amp.  Unsure if I could use the spare connection as there was no diagram etc.  Would this pic work?

I can’t really make out the important details on this picture, but once you configured the unused surround channels as bi-amp fronts, you connect it up like this:

AVR front left (red) - left speaker LF (red)

AVR front left (black) - left speaker LF (black)

AVR surround left (red) - left speaker HF (red)

AVR surround left (black) - left speaker HF (black)

AVR front right (red) - right speaker LF (red)

AVR front right (black) - right speaker LF (black)

AVR surround right (red) - right speaker HF (red)

AVR surround right (black) - right speaker HF (black)

Edited by Steffen
Re-ordered to better match bi-wi cable