Reviews on Western Electric Cables

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Herbs Bills specialty cables.   First, he mine's the copper.  Clearly this was a while ago, so the copper ore is vintage.   Then he melts it.   Then he spins

Bill's Boutique Western Electric Vintage RCA Interconnect: (Tinned copper, waxed in oiled cloth Vintage Cables)     I am using this cable between my solid-state preamp and po

@lenticularis posted the review in the commercial classified’s so I thought I would copy it here 

@Bill125812 Just a quick post to say how pleased I am with these cables. Mine are between my Kompakt DAC and my Stereo Coffee pre-amp. They replace my previously-preferred Burson Cable+ Pro impedance-matching ICs with its inline op-amp buffer.

Your Western Electric cable has been satisfying right from plug-in. It gives me real presence, with no harshness and plenty of clarity and richness across a wide frequency range. Bass seems even more enhanced than I was getting before, with the Stereo Coffee pre- having oodles of clean bass in its own right. Guitars and cymbals are wonderful, and playing very familiar music reassures me that vocal presence is right up there too.

The Burson Cable+ Pro is now on my desktop system, replacing the ‘non Pro’ version.

cheers,

Dave

Bill fabricated a 1m pair of XLR to RCA vintage Western Electric cables to allow me to connect my 1960's Trevor Lees Pre-amplifier to my Halcro MC-20 Power Amplifier. Without any burn-in time whatsoever, the sound was immediately pristine with a wonderful portrayal of acoustic space and exhibiting exquisite timing. There is a richness and vibrancy which brings with it no hint of glaze, or fatigue. These "recycled" 1950's materials give a whole new meaning to "timbre" in the hands of a master craftsperson in @Bill125812.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Tony@melb posted this in the commercial classified’s, so I thought I would repost it here as well.   Thank you mate 

Hi Bill,

I just received my Western Electric RCA cables. I use them between a Chord Electronic DAC and a PrimaLuna valve amp. As soon as I plugged it in, I can hear much more details and it is very musical and rich. It's definitely a WOW. The best thing is that my wife thinks that the music sounds much better and she suggests that I replace all our other cables (speakers and XLR) with your WE cables. So I will be in touch for more. Thank you for making them.

Tony

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

@Tony@melb posted this in the commercial classified’s, so I thought I would repost it here as well.   Thank you mate 

Hi Bill,

I just received my Western Electric RCA cables. I use them between a Chord Electronic DAC and a PrimaLuna valve amp. As soon as I plugged it in, I can hear much more details and it is very musical and rich. It's definitely a WOW. The best thing is that my wife thinks that the music sounds much better and she suggests that I replace all our other cables (speakers and XLR) with your WE cables. So I will be in touch for more. Thank you for making them.

Tony

I have just ordered a pair of Western Electric rca's for the connection between my Tron pre and Tron mono's. I went back to Bill as the canare cable between my phono and pre sounds superb!

Bill's pricing was very, very sharp and as ever his communication prompt.

I'm excited to receive these some time soon and stumbled across this thread after my purchase.

Cheers Bill, love your work!

Ian.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I have just ordered a pair of Western Electric rca's for the connection between my Tron pre and Tron mono's. I went back to Bill as the canare cable between my phono and pre sounds superb!

Bill's pricing was very, very sharp and as ever his communication prompt.

I'm excited to receive these some time soon and stumbled across this thread after my purchase.

Cheers Bill, love your work!

Ian.

Great to hear!  I cant wait to receive mine, hopefully it will arrive soon :)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

Great to hear!  I cant wait to receive mine, hopefully it will arrive soon :)  

Bill had a 24hour turnaround for my order.... 

Fantastic service.

I'm getting excited here too. Now, time to put that new stylus on that has just arrived....

I wonder how Bill finds time to read SNA, he must be spending every waking hour at the spinning wheel...

bde699320869f3773bed3cd29e6e2364.gif.8b9f11b1a1122e7c1fb3da6ce748d0ae.gif

:D

36 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Bill had a 24hour turnaround for my order.... 

Fantastic service.

I'm getting excited here too. Now, time to put that new stylus on that has just arrived....

U are lucky!! :)  I ordered mine last week monday, fingers crossed soon! :)

2 minutes ago, Steffen said:

I wonder how Bill finds time to read SNA, he must be spending every waking hour at the spinning wheel...

bde699320869f3773bed3cd29e6e2364.gif.8b9f11b1a1122e7c1fb3da6ce748d0ae.gif

:D

I wonder what type of vintage oil Bill uses for the cotton sleeving...lol.

Edited by MrBurns84
1 hour ago, MrBurns84 said:

U are lucky!! :)  I ordered mine last week monday, fingers crossed soon! :)

I wonder what type of vintage oil Bill uses for the cotton sleeving...lol.

Yours will be in the mail on Friday.  My next day to the PO 

found some old Golden Fleece engine oil.  Thought that would do.   Younger people can google Golden Fleece 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Steffen said:

Lol. I actually have an iPad on a stand in front of  me on the workbench.  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

found some old Golden Fleece engine oil.  Thought that would do.   Younger people can google Golden Fleece 

TBH - I actually googled it :)  Wow..didnt realise a can of oil would be worth THAT much!  Hope you have a decent stash of these lying around @Bill125812 ..time to cash in..

• Haha 1
On 17/02/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bill125812 said:

Hi Bill, 

Wondering if the tonearm cable made this Friday’s postie trip... 😁

3 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Hi Bill, 

Wondering if the tonearm cable made this Friday’s postie trip... 😁

Sure did. I’ll pm you the tracking no soon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

Bill, do you have a website yet?

I actually have it done.  But I’m scared to get it running  As I’m already too bloody busy.    I suppose that’s a good thing.   I’ll get it finalised and published in the next couple of weeks.  There is a price list in the forum though 

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

@Herbs Bills specialty cables.

First, he mine's the copper.  Clearly this was a while ago, so the copper ore is vintage.

image.png.d37d7154141fc5a17b56126d1eb8d52d.png

Then he melts it.

image.png.abf59b62d0e742b9c940dff17d216e57.png

Then he spins the cotton. Again from NOS cotton...probably surplus from the local knitters club.

image.png.1129a99d41a42742a470f1c837f5685c.png

Then he spools it

image.png.0b9149e51f1ad06d953699698ebff3f3.png

Then he soaks the cotton in vintage golden fleece oil.  Saved up a truck load of it years ago.

image.png.199cc97a0e4a9f461d3dc210da721ddc.png

So he ends up with something like this- 

image.png.a300daee5dd8ae89e87c4ba406467958.png

Then he braids it by hand, carefully noting the geometry and pattern for noise cancellation

image.png.7092fc61a5f9c3dc822bc2633c88209a.png

And it comes in a fancy box (like a box of chocolates)...to you :)

image.png.06bf226b68dc68a3f09c390ba9fb035f.png

And he probably has an endless supply of pure copper cables :) 

image.png

And all this effort for $150 a pair?  .........just madness! 

image.png.f00322b298ad94a53f1836ce2b8fafd2.png

Although Bill's working on his B2C website, he likes to sell his cables the old fashion way! 

image.png.8497916252188ad7342d09518609c67d.png

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 8
  • Haha 11
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 8:02 AM, Bill125812 said:

Sure did. I’ll pm you the tracking no soon 

Hi Bill,

Never received that pm or the package. Wondering if I can grab an update?

would hate to think that this beauty of floating, lost somewhere in the postal system on its journey all of 30km’s 🤪

4 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Hi Bill,

Never received that pm or the package. Wondering if I can grab an update?

would hate to think that this beauty of floating, lost somewhere in the postal system on its journey all of 30km’s 🤪

Pm sent 

• Administrators

No problems I am aware of. 

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

No pm received - maybe it’s an inbox problem? Mods? @Marc?

Hi Ash 

just PM’d you.  I actually PM’d the wrong member yesterday.  Must be getting old 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@cccrchairman has allowed me to post his comments that he PM’d to me.  Thanks Matt 

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on a fine interconnect. I had a good session yesterday with Dire Straits, Hendrix, Spoon (a lot of Spoon actually), Miles Davis, Ron Davis, Emmylou Harris, Roger Waters, Jonathan Wilson, Father John Misty, Wilco. Your cables loved it all. I have them between the phono preamp and integrated amp. All tube. As I am sure you are aware they are very capable cables but their long suit for me would be detail. Certainly an improvement over the Van Den Hul's they replaced.

Many thanks, Matt

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Gday Bill, I'm trying to read the members post, but its dark and very hard to read... 

Cheers Andrew

Turn off the dark mode, no issues then 

Neo

• Like 2

I have had a pr of Bill's WE balanced interconnects between DAC & integrated amp for probably 40hrs or so now. When they first went in they sounded fabulous stone cold. Nice open, airy presentation. Nice bass weight. They have improved since. They offer a huge soundstage coming forward into the room. Bass is not necessarily deeper but just has more impact. The treble sparkles without sibilence & the mids are warm & real. The music just sounds 'right' & natural. These wires have replaced a pr of far pricier Antipodes Audio interconnects, (which I still love & will never part with). I have also asked Bill to construct a pr of unbalanced & also a S/PDIF cable out of this fabled wire for me. The RCA cables will go between phono pre & amp replacing an excellent set of cables made by a highly regarded Queensland speaker maker. Onya Bill, I'm hooked.

Edited by mikey d
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

My system sounds like I have added another pr of NOS telefunkens into the mix :)

• Like 1
On 24/02/2021 at 9:03 PM, MrBurns84 said:

image.png

This is actually what they call a "rod breakdown" machine.

30 years back when I worked for MM Cables, we used to get our copper from Newcastle (back in the days before we were sold out to Chinoland) on pallets in a continuous 3/8" dia.  Those pallets were 2.5t ea.

We then ran them through our rod breakdown machine to a 1/8" dia.  From there it went into machines that pulled the wire through dies in a solution bath and annealed at the same time.  This same operation went through many times to get different wire diameters, the direction changing everytime as the spool was reversed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

This is actually what they call a "rod breakdown" machine.

30 years back when I worked for MM Cables, we used to get our copper from Newcastle (back in the days before we were sold out to Chinoland) on pallets in a continuous 3/8" dia.  Those pallets were 2.5t ea.

We then ran them through our rod breakdown machine to a 1/8" dia.  From there it went into machines that pulled the wire through dies in a solution bath and annealed at the same time.  This same operation went through many times to get different wire diameters, the direction changing everytime as the spool was reversed.

Wow interesting process to get different diameters from a spool of copper.  

@Bill125812 And here i thought you did this all by hand...lol 🤣

22 minutes ago, Red MacKay said:

Bill is still pretty handy!

Not that handy Red 😂

• Like 2