Hegel or Luxman

34 minutes ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks for answering my questions, I don’t want to be in debt to anyone so please advise if I owe you any $ for it...

I think you misunderstood what I meant. It’s the internet; advice, opinions, remarks, attacks, support, debate - they’re all free.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Owned LS50 for a long time  as backup/ rear speakers in my system. They are high potential speakers in 2k range which really improve when you pair them with higher end electronic (ok for a few classes above them as they keep getting better with better electronic ).  fun speakers to keep for a while when you are building a hiend system

I have paired them with sound improvement in below order, the later the better:

- Hegel H80 integrated 80w

- Mcintosh Ma252 integrated 100w

- Primare A35.2/Pre35 200w
- Pass labs x250.5 /xp-20 250w

my first conclusion for LS50 is the more powerful amp, the better those speakers sound,  system energy and matching are important  too.

If you are in the camp of products “Designed by Human and Made on Earth” and do not care where they were made 

, Hegel would offer better values for same investment, resell value might be a different story

Hegel also uses Kef as reference speakers in their facility, so I guess you know the matching and design philosophy should be together

https://darko.audio/2018/03/hit-the-north-a-visit-to-hegels-headquarters/

54F4D3C1-F568-4410-95CF-C1C3C70C3A1D.jpeg

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

Thanks , what would be some options to try and audition  from ls50s?

Speakers are very personal so it's hard to say, don't mention so many choices on the market. Saying that PMC 25.21, 25.22 and Osborne Eos are coming to my mind.  In lifestyle (Parramatta) you can try different Kefs with Regas and different Rels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikhuong said:

F71E8446-E1F5-4282-95F2-CBCF6F2309A1.thumb.jpeg.da2df586df624879c7dc8bb1e1bcd832.jpeg

The above buyer feedback says it all really, so much for the great cheap place to buy new gear from.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, TerryO said:

The above buyer feedback says it all really, so much for the great cheap place to buy new gear from.

cheers,

Terry

This seller has 1478 feedbacks, 812 positive, only 11 negative , I am not defending anyone here but I thought to mention that to be fair...they also confirm that the unit will come in 110v so they have been honest on this as well,,,,I would buy from them if the Voltage was not an issue but not its different... now I have auditioned the luxman, and Hegel with kef - ls50 and I think I liked the Luxman better but Hegel was also very good but I really liked the appearance of Luxman and also being able to run 2 pair of speakers, It was a beauty , I really liked Nicholas was a real professional with no push for any sales... I mentioned the fact I have seen on ebay as well from the begining but nevertheless he let me audition there for more than 4 hours ...If I buy any brand new Hifi  items I will definitely buy from him... 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

I mentioned the fact I have seen on ebay as well from the begining but nevertheless he let me audition there for more than 4 hours  

Yep, great customer service right there.  He's obviously left a positive impression, which really is an investment by him.

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Yep, great customer service right there.  He's obviously left a positive impression, which really is an investment by him.

very positive impression indeed . I will buy from him for sure , maybe not now but in near future

5 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

10K actually.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hegel-H390-integrated-amplifier-with-DAC-Airpay-streamer/184626292490

I was given some discount  as well... obviously the European Voltage is the same here 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

very positive impression indeed . I will buy from him for sure , maybe not now but in near future

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hegel-H390-integrated-amplifier-with-DAC-Airpay-streamer/184626292490

I was given some discount  as well... obviously the European Voltage is the same here 

Great, but the answer I gave pertained to Australian RRP, which is $9995 and not $6,600.

Whats an "Airpay"?

Edited by Frank Prowse Hi-Fi
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Great, but the answer I gave pertained to Australian RRP, which is $9995 and not $6,600.

Whats an "Airpay"?

I think I wont buy from Ebay, I am into buying the 550AXII or 590axii locally if I can find stock as it seems no one keep them

Just now, Mason Safari said:

I think I wont buy from Ebay, I am into buying the 550AXII or 590axii locally if I can find stock as it seems no one keep them

It isnt that no-one keeps them, Luxman, like a lot of brands, has been hit with production issues thanks to the pandemic. Some stores keep some models in stock, others keeps others. We generally always keep stock as we are one of the biggest Luxman dealers in the country. I can tell that there are 7 x 590 units coming in soon (TBC when exactly) and they are being lapped up very quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

It isnt that no-one keeps them, Luxman, like a lot of brands, has been hit with production issues thanks to the pandemic. Some stores keep some models in stock, others keeps others. We generally always keep stock as we are one of the biggest Luxman dealers in the country. I can tell that there are 7 x 590 units coming in soon (TBC when exactly) and they are being lapped up very quickly.

I might be able to buy a demo unit...I am told that I will get the same 3 years warranty from purchase exactly as if I buy a new one... do you confirm this can be true ?

7 minutes ago, Mason Safari said:

I might be able to buy a demo unit...I am told that I will get the same 3 years warranty from purchase exactly as if I buy a new one... do you confirm this can be true ?

If you buy an Australian-supplied unit from an AUTHORISED Luxman dealer, yes you will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mason Safari said:

That's the way, a safer option right there.  I only buy brand new because I like after sales care, should it be required (touch wood), and buy locally for the very same reason.  I bought my 507uX last year locally and have been loving it every day since, it's worth the money.

Plenty of hi-fi suppliers have been hit with Covid related production issues, especially out of Japan where they shut down their factories very early in the piece.  I've been waiting on two Melbourne made amps for 4 months now, where the turn around time is usually 3 weeks...  ?

• Like 1

While I think auditioning locally and buying overseas is not morally correct.

some of the mark ups of local shops are just ridiculous.

I understand the cost of living and overheads, and everything are higher.

But a lot of stuff are almost twice the rrp of retail price in US, or Europe.

And a lot of the times, the shop assistant barely knows what they are selling.

When you consider shipping one single unit from overseas via Air freight, with import duty.

and it’s still thousands cheaper than local stock which come on containers.

It’s really hard to point fingers at people who choose to buy overseas.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, delphi17 said:

And a lot of the times, the shop assistant barely knows what they are selling.

You wont get any complaints from me about this remark. The frustrating thing about this is that people will STILL BUY off someone with zero interest in the product in question, or ZERO passion for what they sell.

As someone who is looking at dipping my toes into distribution of audio equipment, I disagree with the inflated prices in Australia. The amount of charges and the cost of freight is taking the fun out of the idea, but selling a product and making enough to just about put food on the table, not worth it. I dont see eye to eye with all the distributors in Australia but I can understand the process a little better now.

Anyway, these conversations have been done to death and deserve their own discussion thread. The OP had a great positive reaction locally so that is a good result for all involved.

• Like 3