Thought I would put this here in case it of use to anybody.

I purchased a driver second hand from the US to build another subwoofer to have two of them. It never sounded quite the same as the original subwoofer I had so I purchased a recone kit.

The original JBL recone kit came from here : https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2226h-2226hpl-c8r2226-recone-kit/ it cost $200 us including delivery to Melb Au.

Removing the old glue wasn't too bad  , make sure you have a nice sharp blade , I also used MEK to finish the cleanup of the glue ( you can get it from Bunnings , known as priming fluid in the plumbing section)

Make sure you have everything ready before applying the glue provided as it tacks up really quick so you don't have much time to insert the new cone and need to do it in one go.

I applied glue to the top basket surface and the lower spider surface then inserted the voice coil shim and then carefully lowered the cone down over the shim and then carefully pressed the cone rim down then the bottom spider rim.

Be careful as any glue that has oozed and gets on you fingers will want to stick to what you are gluing.

After leaving it for 24hrs I glued the dust shield on , it doesn't look as good as the factory as the glue is difficult to apply in a nice even bead but it is glued on well.

Another 24hrs later and I checked it works and put some low frequencies through it in open air to get the cone moving to listen for any noise and it passed with no noise and working well.

I installed it back in it's cabinet last night and can hear it sounds better already even though it has not loosened up yet , so I am happy , good outcome , successfully reconed.

You can see in the image of the old coil that it was rubbing , I suspected it was as the driver didn't sound quite the same as my other same driver I had since brand new. 

Glad I did the recone and it wasn't too challenging to do.

Cheers

David

IMG_20210203_161802.jpg

IMG_20210202_165133.jpg

IMG_20210202_165155.jpg

IMG_20210202_174211.jpg

IMG_20210203_161841.jpg

IMG_20210204_160531.jpg

• Like 4

Speakerex have been good at supplying recones, dont let jbl know!. Did you use the supplied moyen glue to glue everything? I prefer to use loctite brand contact cement for the spider, surround and gaskets, the moyen cement is great for dustcaps if less than a few years old.

Good job , Greg

Thanks Greg , first time doing a recone like this with glue.

I used the supplied glue , I did check the glue's specs and it listed it as good for the cone , spider and dust cap.

Oh well , I hope it lasts as it has turned out well and sounds good..

Yes I thought I would struggle to get an original JBL recone kit , plenty of aftermarket recones available but I emailed the speaker exchange and the reply was "no problem , we can ship it to you"  , so that was a bonus getting the original JBL kit.

Cheers

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, DavidH71 said:

Thanks Greg , first time doing a recone like this with glue.

I used the supplied glue , I did check the glue's specs and it listed it as good for the cone , spider and dust cap.

Oh well , I hope it lasts as it has turned out well and sounds good..

Yes I thought I would struggle to get an original JBL recone kit , plenty of aftermarket recones available but I emailed the speaker exchange and the reply was "no problem , we can ship it to you"  , so that was a bonus getting the original JBL kit.

Cheers

Good on you for caring enough to keep it original. Most wouldn't

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1