Shopping decisions, New Fronts ??

Interested to know what the thinking is on going:

Option A - Magnepan LRS + March Audio 452  

Option B - a pair of Paradigm 800f  

(P452 will be fed of preouts off Denon 4810 AVR,  AVR will drive Paradigms directly.)

Pricing is similar to either......

Edited by jslayz
  • jslayz changed the title to Shopping decisions, Magnepan LRS + March Audio P452 OR just a pair Paradigm 800f ??

My opinion is that the speakers are so completely different from each other that it will come down to personal taste. 
You really need to hear the speakers for yourself. 

Edit: I also think using the Denon (or any other AVR) to drive stereo speakers is probably suboptimal. 

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
  • Like 2

Thanks I've listened to maggies and ML ESL an love the immediacy.

I have flexible positioning.

I see a set of Paradigm 75f Prestige up for sale locally and will audition them soon too, similar cost to 800f new so they would be 'option C'.

So if you had to pick:

Option A - Magnepan LRS + March Audio P452  

Option B - a pair of Paradigm 800f  - New

Option C - Paradigm 75f Prestige  -  Used

(P452 will be fed of preouts off Denon 4810 AVR,  AVR will drive Paradigms directly.)

I'm a big fan of Paradigm but their entry level is really only good for home theatre. Option C with the Prestige is a much better option if choosing Paradigm. 

As above 2 very different speakers. 

I understand the upgrade stages but you need to remove the Denon from the path. It will handicap the system massively even with external amplifier. 

There's many posts about this here and it is my own experience too. 

Look into HT bypass. 

So my 2c worth again…

The Paradigms probably do nothing wrong, the maggies will have some 'magic' in some areas but are fiddly to get the best out of and lack bass (no matter what anyone tells you).

Again, it's a matter of what you prefer: a decent all rounder (caveat, I've never heard the paradigms) or a flawed genius :) (caveat, I love panel speakers)

Also the maggies are horrendously inefficient. Only 80dB as measured by stereophile here.

They also drop below 3 ohms, so you need a high current amp with lots of power.

• Like 1

What kind of music do you listen to?

If you're into acoustic, smaller scale classical, jazz, human voice, anything that requires a bit of delicacy and space the maggies are great. They need to be set up properly. March claims on ASR that his purify Class D do well with maggies. 

If you're into more visceral stuff - heavy metal or  action movie crash bang the maggies probably aren't your best choice. Don't know about the paradigms but all rounder boxes might suit you better.

This is a very broad brush answer - you need to have a listen to your own style of music on possible speakers.

Listen quietly to small acoustic music - the LRS; Maggies work very well with the more powerful class D amps.

Crank it and listen loud or to rock - get the paradigms.

Either way though, toss the AVR out, it's not for real hifi.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, interesting about going bypass.

So you're thinking get a dac,  the p452 and speakers. 

Basically a separate 2 channel setup....

Yikes, WAFactor may be an issue With that spend.

1 hour ago, jslayz said:

Hmmmm, interesting about going bypass.

So you're thinking get a dac,  the p452 and speakers. 

Basically a separate 2 channel setup....

Yikes, WAFactor may be an issue With that spend.

aah that's a bit of info I missed. If the new speakers are going to be part of a HT setup then I suspect the maggies are not a good choice. In my experience their sweet spot is too narrow for that use case. Also they won't have the 'slam' that you need for movies

The poor old Aaron ATS5s are 20 years old so i need new mains, from reading and previous listening I arrived at these options. 

Mate is are suggesting Klipsch R8000f / RF-7v3 also or Krix Nuephonics Mk2

What has not been asked is the split between movies and music? And if you are doing casual music, ok with AVR , otherwise you should consider a decent integrated.

25 minutes ago, jslayz said:

The poor old Aaron ATS5s are 20 years old so i need new mains, from reading and previous listening I arrived at these options. 

Mate is are suggesting Klipsch R8000f / RF-7v3 also or Krix Nuephonics Mk2

Mate, my speakers are 47 years old. I must be a REAL dumbass?

• Like 1

Hahah have your kids got to them?

They are hammered, rammed drivers with things, cozy coupe etc 

I'm not spending 1,000 on fixing these.

Tech has surely moved on.

Movies 70percent music 30percent but a good speaker should do both well.

More listening to do!

+1 for integrated amp with HT Bypass. I did a home demo of a Denon X4200 AVR and was amazed at how rubbish it was for music - it was blown away by my old 50W Denon stereo amp I got for $120 off eBay. 

Even if you need to do the speakers first, it's worth putting an integrated with HT Bypass on the upgrade list. This will also take some load off the AVR for movies as well. 

• Like 2

Great idea, thanks for the suggestion, hmmm interesting, dammit it's more researching now! Hahah part of the fun!

Howdy jslayz, this thread might help

I look forward to reading about what you do and seeing some photos. 

PS. I have Paradigm Studio 100 floorstanders and Paradigm Premier 100B bookshelf’s and find them excellent. 

Ok, went out listening n have totally changed my thinking.

I'm going to just look at mains now. 

Soooo, now I've thrown previous plan out window, now looking at:

Option A - Revel F36 new

Option B - Golden ear T2 second hand

Option C - Martin Logan ESL X new

A Dac Streamer will be added to system.

Revel are just dreadful value in Australia -even though we are closer to there factories - go figure. 

Option C - Martin Logan ESL X new -this measures extremely well and sounds it too. The editor of Hi Fi World Noel Keywood uses them as his reference loudspeaker 

• Like 1

The P452 and Denon AVR are different as well, just to make things more complicated.

Thanks for your input everyone?

I'm listening to them again with more tracks in the near future. 

Considering the T2s are only 20% more than the revels, it's T2 vs eslx now

• Like 1

Node 2i looks convenient, then if I want more power I'll go a p452.

Heard the m33 with ESL 13a, (I think) wow!

Bloody typical, reinvented requirements as the listening  and research went on, hahha.

Call the paramedic for my wallet!!

• Haha 1

That  Denon AVR4810 is no slouch in the amplifier section -speakers will make the biggest bang for your buck improvement. If that was a budget receiver then different story. And both speakers you are thinking about will be driven well by it. The T2 is a piece of cake to drive with the 4810. And really the ESL is not going to challenge the 4810 too much either. 

• Like 1
  • jslayz changed the title to Shopping decisions, New Fronts ??
  • 1 month later...