Speaker Cable upgrade

Hi everyone, 

I'm running my Rega I/O into some Wharfedale Denton speakers and it all sounds jolly nice, but I realise that I'm still using my QED 42 strand cable from a long, long time ago. I think that maybe I might get better performance if I upgrade, but wondered what I should be looking at. I spend a lot of time fawning over turntables and amps. but very little time around cables

Cheers in advance

Alistair 

23 minutes ago, Rawshack said:

I'm running my Rega I/O into some Wharfedale Denton speakers and it all sounds jolly nice, but I realise that I'm still using my QED 42 strand cable from a long, long time ago. I think that maybe I might get better performance if I upgrade, but wondered what I should be looking at. I spend a lot of time fawning over turntables and amps. but very little time around cables

You will see wildly different explanations for what makes a good cable, and unfortunately there is little validated science to tell you what is correct. The only thing that is almost universally agreed upon is the larger the overall wire gauge, the better. Speaker wire can cost anywhere from 20c to $100,000 (no exaggeration.) Most people will tell you to audition the cables but there are obviously limits on what you can get your hands on in advance. Good luck on your journey.

2 hours ago, Rawshack said:

Hi everyone, 

Cheers in advance

Alistair 

What length are your spkr cables?

Andy

2 hours ago, Rawshack said:

Hi everyone, 

Cheers in advance

Alistair 

@Bill125812

• Like 2

I would start by dipping your cable ends in DeOxit! and also wiping with it your speaker terminals.

You will find this will be the greatest improvement in cables/connectors you can make.

Unless of course your terminals were made with very thick plating of proper gold. Then the improvement will only be marginal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rawshack said:

HI andy - sorry I should have stated that. around 5 metres each side (give or take)

I have a slightly different take than Con in terms of thickness - ie. overall copper area.  For 5m, I would say 18g is perfectly OK (which your 'QED 42 strand' cable is) - with 16g probably a bit better.

Where you will get better sound ... is from using multiple, thin, individually insulated, solid core wires in place of stranded (like I can make up for you  :) ).

Andy

• Like 4

Mogami  W3103 speaker cable,  around $15 per Metre.

It is very good, will provide 90% of the performance of say Foilflex speaker cable at much less expense.

I have had both and still do! :thumb:

• Like 1

Canare 4s11 over a 5m run would be a great option.  But if you want to go to the next level, I would go with Solid copper.  I owned lintons, the dentons big brother, and tried a few cables on them.  They just loved the Neotech solid copper cables.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, andyr said:

I have a slightly different take than Con in terms of thickness - ie. overall copper area.  For 5m, I would say 18g is perfectly OK (which your 'QED 42 strand' cable is) - with 16g probably a bit better.

Where you will get better sound ... is from using multiple, thin, individually insulated, solid core wires in place of stranded (like I can make up for you  :) ).

Andy

So many can't be bothered to see if there is anything better than QED 42 strand stuff. Used 4 x solid core 26AWG for i/connects for more than 10 years.  Are your conductors used inside air core dielectrics?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Southerly said:

Used 4 x solid core 26AWG for i/connects for more than 10 years.  Are your conductors used inside air core dielectrics?

No, haven't tried that, Stuart.  :(

Andy

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread, especially as I am such a moomin when it comes to cables. I've ordered some from a member on here and I'm looking forward to testing them out

Cheers

Al 

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, on TNT-Audio there is the UBYTE 11 speaker cable I made this over 15 years ago. and I'm still using it until I make my own design. It's cheap to make using CT100 or CT125 co-axial as the base. 100 & 125 refers to 1 mm or 1.25 mm solid core copper kept exactly the same distance from the copper foil and copper braid shielding inside air cored polyethelene dialectric. The copper foil and braid is used as return not shielding.