Amazon LP warp issues

Hi folks,

I'm just getting into vinyl  again in my old age,  and have bought a few LP from Amazon.  I seem to have terrible trouble with them arriving warped.  This one came really well packed double boxed with bubble cushions and all.  So I can only assume it's heat somewhere on it's trip over from the states.  It was sold by Amazon US to Australia.  Or are Verve just making really poor quality vinyl these days.

Amazon record clip showing the needle bobbing up and down:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjNEwjsPNo8ms1oHLQ1GGrRukrVx

Is this acceptable for $45?  Should I send this back.

Ever second LP from amazon appears to be like this lately. Can i just keep sending them back?

Looks like I might be sticking to the local vinyl stores from now on i think.  Or do you get trouble there as well?

One of my old records from 40 years ago jsut to  show it's not the platter, steady as a rock

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjNEwjsPNo8ms1nb28OrkYLyld7x

image.png.5f9e921c4b56a203504d41c937a750ad.png

Here a couple of google drive links to the clips if the onedrive ones don't work for you.

amazon lp with warp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kxcm0ZPywd3M-5TYC1tK4J0wqeB7_vJ6/view?usp=sharing

old LP showing no warp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETtliRdWV5ckHcCNA-vTtLwszFRA5pMV/view?usp=sharing

The issues highlighted above is the reason I only buy records in a good old fashioned Bricks and Mortar store. Obviously the range is more limited than online but I hear too many horror stories about buying records online. Is there a common consumer item which is more likely to be damaged in transit than a thin piece of 12 Inch Diameter Hard Vinyl ?

7 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Not acceptable. It's Amazon returning is really easy just need to print a shipping label and send it away. They actually refund immediately after post office scan them

Yes, they make it amazingly easy.

I think we should definitely make a point and return all goods that aren't good enough.  If enough records get sent back, they just might get the message.

25 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

If enough records get sent back, they (EDIT: Amazon) just might get the message.

Why is it Amazon's fault that the record is warped?  I would've thought it was the mfr's problem?

47 minutes ago, Saxon Hall said:

The issues highlighted above is the reason I only buy records in a good old fashioned Bricks and Mortar store.

And where do "good old fashioned Bricks and Mortar stores " get their vinyl from?

Andy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Why is it Amazon's fault that the record is warped?  I would've thought it was the mfr's problem?

Geezus Andy, sometimes...   I never once said it was Amazon's fault.   The record arrives warped, send it back to the entity who took your money and let the system work  out who is to blame.  THAT is the 'they' who may eventually get the message.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I think we should definitely make a point and return all goods that aren't good enough.  If enough records get sent back, they just might get the message.

Amazon do get the message if one communicates

I went thru 3 copies of the new Smashing Pumpkins album due to shitty noisy pressing.

Amazon took the release off the au stk and returned existing copies to the supplier. 

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, andyr said:

And where do "good old fashioned Bricks and Mortar stores " get their vinyl from?

Andy

I actually expected this response so here is my response.

In a Good Old Fashioned Bricks and Mortar store I can look at the record, check its condition and see if it is warped , scratched etc. If it is I can request to see another one or just walk away. A lot less hassle than going through the rigmarole of charge-backs , refunds , returns. Most of my record buying days were in the 1970s and 1980s and this what I did and expected. Obviously we live in a different day and age where Online purchasing is the norm. I do a lot of online purchasing but I don't for records. Anyway that is just my viewpoint and your experience may differ , or as the Young Un's say YMMV.

• Like 1

Just now, Saxon Hall said:

In a Good Old Fashioned Bricks and Mortar store I can look at the record, check its condition and see if it is warped , scratched etc. If it is I can request to see another one or just walk away. A lot less hassle than going through the rigmarole of charge-backs , refunds , returns. Most of my record buying days were in the 1970s and 1980s and this what I did and expected. Obviously we live in a different day and age where Online purchasing is the norm. I do a lot of online purchasing but I don't for records. Anyway that is just my viewpoint and your experience may differ , or as the Young Un's say YMMV.

'KK' ... as the young ones say these days, SH.  xD

Not always can you check the condition of an LP - have you not heard of 'sealed records'?

Sure, in the 70s and 80s it was the norm to inspect the LP - that was then ... and now things are different.  Move to HD streaming, if that's a problem, IMO.

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

'KK' ... as the young ones say these days, SH.  xD

Not always can you check the condition of an LP - have you not heard of 'sealed records'?

Sure, in the 70s and 80s it was the norm to inspect the LP - that was then ... and now things are different.  Move to HD streaming, if that's a problem, IMO.

Andy

My 63 year old ears actually prefer those little shiny round things now.The big old black round things mainly sit in their covers but I could never bear to part with them. My partner and I like to press buttons and see trays slide in and out and put things onto them. In my vintage Pioneer shiny little disc player you actually put the disc in upside down and that stumps most people. And I still have a Cassette Player. Anyway I digress , go ahead and enjoy your records and I might even dust off a few of mine. I have an LP  of DSOTM in Quadraphonic and no Quadraphonic Player, Yikes

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Yeap agree will force them to learn. And definitely we shouldn't accept subpar record considering how expensive they are

• Like 1

Guest crankit

Maybe its the vinyl itself today as in subpar? Thinking back to my dads LP collection where like a vinyl graphite sandwich that could be used as weapons

Edited by crankit

I have only had one record that looked like it got warped during transit as opposed to a manufacturing issue (RAREWAVES US sold via Amazon).  In my case rarewaves refunded my money and didn't request I return it, and because the vinyl surface was in perfect condition apart from warping i paid to have it flattened here locally.  Hence a near mint record for the price of flattening

Edited by Demondes

On 30/01/2021 at 10:10 PM, Saxon Hall said:

Hell... once upon a time one would ask them to play it please. Id spend hours in a record store and buy only one or two! Im sure it pissed them off initially but after years of buying from the same shops they knew who was their bread and butter. 

Edited by ScottyPeace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottyPeace said:

Hell... once upon a time one would ask them to play it please. Id spend hours in a record store and buy only one or two! Im sure it pissed them off initially but after years of buying from the same shops they knew who was their bread and butter. 

Do you remember listening booths?  At first each had a record player that you operated yourself, later they were automated and the attendant played your record and switched it through to you booth.   You could ask for specific tracks to audition.

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Do you remember listening booths?  At first each had a record player that you operated yourself, later they were automated and the attendant played your record and switched it through to you booth.   You could ask for specific tracks to audition.

Hehehe! I remember seeing them in movies ;-)) Around here and in the city it was everyone listened! Which was cooool... alot id never have ever considered became apparent :-))

This warp to me seems a little worse than the average standard I get delivered to my door.  And yes I've had similar issues with bricks and mortar retailers too.

I could request the record to be taken out of its seal - but unless the warp is really bad your eye can't catch them all the time - and not keen to play new records on some of the equipment i've seen in some stores either.

I've just accepted this to be part of purchasing a record now.  I will invest in a record flattening machine when the funds permit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things are definitely getting worse for me.. not even about warps anymore but how they've chosen to package vinyl.  To put things into perspective, I've purchased approx 100 records in the past 12 months from amazon.   They've all been packed well, usually in sturdy purpose made cardboard slips.

My latest delivery was packaged with this -

melllow_yellow_packaging.thumb.jpg.0742ac8dc88310d63794e035d4b55ce4.jpg 

Every corner of the cover bent/creased -

IMG_7417.thumb.JPG.6a58a1b85e477ebbed319863bda81c3a.JPG

Funnily enough the record before it was packaged with minimal protection but survived "ok" . Only one corner of the cover was damaged.

lanza_packaging.thumb.jpg.7f0f693b01c8aa4e5eec98834da16aee.jpg

I dont want to sound too whiny but wtf are the workers thinking when they package vinyl like this.

Edited by avian