Best Amp match for focal aria 936

Hello guys I'm looking for help on a amp or integrated match for focal aria 936. Tried Rega elicit -r that sounded good but want more, tried vintage perraux 6200b that was good but want more again. The primaluna HP dialogue with preamp primaluna was the best but to bright funnily enuf at higher volumes. Looking for anyone opinion who might have. Focal aria range. Much thanks

I'm getting a big kick out of my setup - 926's driven by a Weston Acoustics Tempest. I have kt88's with about 100 hours on them and no lack of power at all.

Such amps can be secured at excellent prices here, just wait and move quickly when your amp comes up.

9 hours ago, muon* said:

Roll the tubes in the PremaLuna gear.

What Muon said, do you know what tubes did the PrimaLuna had fitted? 

As much as I would love to recommend a push-pull ultralinear tube amp here such as the older style 6550 ARC power amps that house 8 or more power tubes, I think you're going to need a SS amp with plenty of current in reserve that can handle the minimum impedance load of 2.8 ohm of your 936's. I've heard a lot of Focal floorstanders matched up nicely to Krell gear. My advice here is to get a used KAV-300i in this particular instance to handle the higher current demands of an amp that can drop to 2 ohms to drive the several dips of the 936 load that occur below 3 ohm in the impedance curve and the associated phase angle shifts, which are large.

It would also help to indicate the budget range, new or used and what exactly is meant by 'more' in your preferred listening environment and musical listening tastes. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, xlr8or said:

As much as I would love to recommend a push-pull ultralinear tube amp here such as the older style 6550 ARC power amps that house 8 or more power tubes, I think you're going to need a SS amp with plenty of current in reserve that can handle the minimum impedance load of 2.8 ohm of your 936's. I've heard a lot of Focal floorstanders matched up nicely to Krell gear. My advice here is to get a used KAV-300i in this particular instance to handle the higher current demands of an amp that can drop to 2 ohms to drive the several dips of the 936 load that occur below 3 ohm in the impedance curve and the associated phase angle shifts, which are large.

It would also help to indicate the budget range, new or used and what exactly is meant by 'more' in your preferred listening environment and musical listening tastes. ?

Budget 7k max I listen to everything. And my environment is carpet and alotnof soft structures. Using the matrix audio element X as a streamer and dac

I think Rega elicit -r , Naim, Exposure are excellent match but if I wanted more under $10k I would go with new purify P452 power amp $2200 + $5k preamp - Supratek, Anthem STR pre, new McIntosh pre(because it looks cool), Musical Fidelity, Parasound.

From the previous post 2019 discussions the speakers offer a difficult 3 ohm minimum amp load so something with sufficient grunt is needed. For $7k would get a $3k Supratek preamp or similar and $4k power amp like a not so old Krell, Passlabs, Bryston, Parasound A21, Musical Fidelity etc.

Some items shortlisted here https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Al.M said:

From the previous post 2019 discussions the speakers offer a difficult 3 ohm minimum amp load so something with sufficient grunt is needed. For $7k would get a $3k Supratek preamp or similar and $4k power amp like a not so old Krell, Passlabs, Bryston, Parasound A21, Musical Fidelity etc.

Some items shortlisted here https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

I have 4 ohm speakers (Dynaudios C2's) and sub 4 ohm, (Apogees) and I found Parasound (pre and power) too bright.  Bryston (I have a 4bsst) is a great choice, I have used 2nd hand AR, Ayon and Supratek pre, all valve,  and they all work well with the Bryston.  I currently have the AR LS15 pre with the Bryston and the Dynaudio, nice match.

• Like 1
On 03/02/2021 at 12:33 AM, Al.M said:

I had two Parasound A21 driving a pair of Focal 816v and it was simply stunning, easy to listen too for hours on end 

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2021 at 12:00 PM, Irek said:

I think Rega elicit -r , Naim, Exposure are excellent match but if I wanted more under $10k I would go with new purify P452 power amp $2200 + $5k preamp - Supratek, Anthem STR pre, new McIntosh pre(because it looks cool), Musical Fidelity, Parasound.

I went down the Purifi poweramp path and also replaced all the 12AU7 and rectifiers in my PrimaLuna preamp with NOS tubes. The result is excellent. I have a pair of Celestion A2 4ohm floor standing speakers. 

The author does not mention to his music source and interconnect speaker cables. To improve the reproduction sound quality, we should take other audio elements into consideration. Before blaming the amplifier, I would like to upgrade the source as his mentioned amplifiers are not bad ones. For chosing another amplifier, I would prefer some from hiend brand like pass lab, sudgen etc. I hope the owner could find a good solution for his favourite music

Edited by Ngoc
  • Like 1

The Focal will pair nicely with Naim electronics. Focal is known to be very neutral and could sound a bit bright and Naim electronics (amps) are warm sounding electronics and would compliment the Focal nicely. More recent Focal speakers were voiced using Naim electronics since the two companies merged some years ago. 

That said, for your Focal Aria, I highly recommend the Naim Uniti Nova but it will exceed your AUD $7k budget. The Uniti Nova currently retails for USD $7500 here in the US. Not sure how much it goes for in Aust. 

The Naim Uniti Nova is a highly musical sounding unit. It is a streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in a single chassis. While it’s only rated at 80 wpc the Uniti Nova has no problem driving most speaker loads to the fullest. Current delivery that matters most, not power ratings (wattage). 
Highly recommended! And the Naim Uniti Nova will sound great together with your Focal. The Uniti Nova punches way above its weight. 

Edited by Dilatante
  • Like 2

Musical Fidelity would likely suffice, or try a plebby Denon PMA 2500NE, happily drives my current hungry Legend speakers.  

Dual power supplies, good quality DAC, outstanding phono stage,  engineered and built in Japan and weighs a measly 25kg.

• Like 1

If Naim is under consideration you should consider Densen. Sound signature is very similar to Naim,but Densen, to my ears,  is more musical.