Aries Mini outputs - which do you use?

Right now my trusty little Aries Mini is connected to a Cambridge Audio SR10 via the RCA outputs. I'm giving some serious thought to stepping up to a Cambridge CXA81 which I understand would give me a few more options for how I output from the Mini (not my reason for upgrading - just something I'm curious about).  So here's my question for any other Aries Mini owners - which outputs do you use? I'm not well-versed in the pros and cons of that sort of thing.

The CXA81 is an integrated amplifier with an added DAC section. Which means you have the option of bypassing the DAC in the aries and using the DAC of the CXA. You can do this by using any of the digital output options on the Aries - coax, optical or USB, and input into the equivalent input option on the CXA.

If you continue using the RCA out from the Aries, then you will be using the DAC from the Aries and will be bypassing the DAC on the CXA.

If you end up buying the CXA, you can compare both the DACs sections and use the one that sounds better to you

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 1

Thanks Anandpkumar. I guess what I’m interested in is whether Aries Mini owners see much difference between the digital outputs - USB vs coax for example. Happy to do some experimenting myself but also keen to hear what others have experienced.

I don't have the Aries mini, rather the one model up - the Aries femto. I've tried both the USB and SPIDF coax output and did not find much of a difference between the two. That could be a factor of my downstream equipment also. The Aries femto has femto clock on both the USB and coax outputs to reduce jitter etc. I stuck with SPIDF coax for convenience. 

• Thanks 1